Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Moves Wheels Move to CHINA

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,835 Likes on 22,753 Posts

Chinese steel is inferior to American steel, as they are not as picky about their content of their alloys. That is part of the reason that HD went w/them, cheaper steel, as do many of your motorcycle part manufacturer's. Better ask where the steel comes from.
It would be nice though, if HD would take stock in it's own country..of origin

Last edited by lionsm13; 01-02-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

As a pipe welder for 30 yrs, I can tell you there is a BIG difference between American and Chinese steel pipe..............

But back on topic of the wheel manufactor for HD, I'd much rather support a country that has stood next to the USA.

Your kidding yourself if you think HD's will be "less expensive" with China wheels.......LOL

Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Evidently HD has been having some of their Wheels made in China all along. The Chrome smooth profile rims that came on my 2010 has made in china stamped inside. I have almost 22K on them with no problem's and they still look new.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:50 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion it's less about saving money and more about getting your product an another area. There are 1,338,299,500 people in China and 312,788,264 in the United States. While not every Chinese can afford a Harley, it's all a matter of time before it becomes a reality. Ever wonder why there is a fuel shortage? It isn't because the United States is consuming it all - it's because underdeveloped countries who once were poverty stricken and used to manufacture goods cheaper have now risen to a better quality of life and can afford things like cell phones, computers, and cars.

I would bet this is a long term strategy to gain market share of products in potential high growth areas. India and China are both developing markets and if any company can get a foot in the door now, it means huge profits in the future. It might take 10 - 20 years, but that is a drop in the bucket.

I absolutely don't like the way this is going, but it appears that this is the new reality. None of this is beneficial to the little guy - just to the corporate head and the stock holders.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 AM
BlueKite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Chinese make many qualities of steel. At a price. If the steel being used is substandard it's because that's what Harley asked for. After all, they laid off the Aussie workers and moved to China to cut costs, so it makes sense that they'd cut costs on the materials too.
You can't blame Chinese workers for the greed of US companies.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Chinese steel is inferior to American steel, as they are not as picky about their content of their alloys. That is part of the reason that HD went w/them, cheaper steel, as do many of your motorcycle part manufacturer's. Better ask where the steel comes from.
It would be nice though, if HD would take stock in it's own country..of origin
Not sure that I agree with that. All reactor vessels made in the world are now made in China.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM
BlueKite
Cruiser
Red face

Originally Posted by FBFletch
Not sure that I agree with that. All reactor vessels made in the world are now made in China.
Of course they are, but Harley Davidson is a company that relies on the brain death of large portions of its customers. Which is not to say that they are not wonderful motorcycles, they are, but they don't half take the ****, as we say in the UK.
Lest we forget, these bikes cost at least 50% more outside the US, and in some countries a good deal more. Many people who buy them imagine themselves buying into some kind of organic, all American tradition, and put up with their shortcomings due to the Rebel Without a Cause/ American Graffiti style nostalgia for 50's Americana.

Nothing wrong with that, i l love these bikes. And they have a unique character that far outstrips the competition.

Triumph also make excellent motorcycles, but they are priced alongside Honda, BMW etc. Yes, they have plastic mudguards and are made in Thailand, but they are very good bikes indeed.

The question is, how long can Harley get away with the "Made in America" schtick while selling bikes at double the price of the competition when many of the parts have been made in sweatshops in Guangdong?

There will surely come a time when Harley's "authenticity" label will be called into question, and people will feel that they've been conned?

The good news for Harley is that the worlds wealth is shifting to the BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, China, India) and it's no longer relevant what people in The West think.

HD's are likely to become a rich man's toy that few in The west can afford. Even though they are no longer made in The West.

A depressing thought, but there we have it. Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,835 Likes on 22,753 Posts

Originally Posted by FBFletch
Well. would you agree that it would be nice if HD would take stock in it's country of origin, then, or?

Also, would you agree that American steel is superior to Chinese steel, or?

Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Well. would you agree that it would be nice if HD would take stock in it's country of origin, then, or?

Also, would you agree that American steel is superior to Chinese steel, or?
What I would agree to is that people are making too big a deal out of this. There's already a lot of Harley parts that are made overseas. And, now all of a sudden people want to make a big freakin' deal about the wheel manufacturing going overseas. If people wanted to make a big deal about Harley using foreign made parts, they should have started doing it a long time ago.

Can I say that Chinese steel is superior to American steel. No. But don't you think it's just a little naive to make a blanket like "American steel is superior to Chinese steel" unless you're a metalurgist who has conducted extensive testing of steel samples from both countries? I think the fact the Chinese are making new replacement reactor vessels heads for reactors currently in operation in this country (which have to pass some of the highest quality control standards in the world) is a least an indicator that Chinese steel is at least as good or better than steel made here in the US. Maybe not all Chinese steel but at least some of it.

Bottom line is, either quite buying Harleys or quite bitching about where they get their parts from.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
harleyiron80
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TO34
I'm always curious when I see posts like this, just how much would a HD bike built with all US made parts cost?

there not charging any less there just making more

Quick Reply: Harley Moves Wheels Move to CHINA