Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Moves Wheels Move to CHINA

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TO34
I'm always curious when I see posts like this, just how much would a HD bike built with all US made parts cost?
Most parts that are produced require very little man hours per item. The actual man hour cost to build value added goods is a small percentage of the cost of the item produced. When you consider the productivity of the American worker, which is second to none, the difference is even smaller. I doubt the price would change much, if at all. It doesn't really matter though. As long as there's the perception of an economic benefit to outsource, no matter how small, that's the direction the shareholders gravitate to. This is what happens when you have no national industrial policy. It's funny, Germany has an industrial policy, a vibrant manufacturing base and economically, they're now working to bail out Europe. I wonder if we can learn something from that.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:17 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
Since when was Australia in America?
That is about as relevant as Since when is China in America.
I wonder when they (HD) is going move Head office to some province in china?
Anyway you slice it, it sucks, especially during a traditionally slow time of the year.
Rob

Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
toby34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see below

Last edited by toby34; 12-12-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
toby34
Tourer

Originally Posted by sparky1
All u guys complaining about high price of U.S. labor r full of s*#t,its not the hourly wage that is responsible for the high cost of most products,its the clowns at the top who get millions in salaries,run companies into the ground,get a bonus and move on to rob n destroy the next one without any consequences.How many H.D's do u have to sell to pay someones salary of couple of million dollars each year?(small part of the problem lies in accounting-each dept.has its own budget,bottom line is one company,one budget)
Before some one starts educating me about running a business don't,I own my own business,pay union wages and still do fine.Flame on.
Amen to that

Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mongomark
Most parts that are produced require very little man hours per item. The actual man hour cost to build value added goods is a small percentage of the cost of the item produced. When you consider the productivity of the American worker, which is second to none, the difference is even smaller. I doubt the price would change much, if at all. It doesn't really matter though. As long as there's the perception of an economic benefit to outsource, no matter how small, that's the direction the shareholders gravitate to. This is what happens when you have no national industrial policy. It's funny, Germany has an industrial policy, a vibrant manufacturing base and economically, they're now working to bail out Europe. I wonder if we can learn something from that.
that's actually pretty easy to answer - I believe Indians are 100% (or close to it) American-made. They cost about $15000 more when compared model to model.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 PM
chainsaw123
Tourer

wont be long before harley will be just like a honda and the promos will read "assembled in America". Heck, it should probably read like that now as most of would be shocked at just how muck of their bikes and boutique items are made elsewhere. It wont be long before a harley will have to directly compete with any metric bike and harley will then have to step up their game to do that.

Dont even get me started about the great "unions" that once were needed and are now the reason big business had to seek cheaper labor!!!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:07 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Greedy companies? So I can safely bet that when you decide to buy something, you don't pay any attention to the price and just pay for the most expensive item despite lower cost products are available.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blarg
that's actually pretty easy to answer - I believe Indians are 100% (or close to it) American-made. They cost about $15000 more when compared model to model.
Indians cost that much more because the market is very small and manufacturing and parts sourcing reflect the small numbers. Afterall, a victory actually is priced less than an HD.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
blarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Greedy companies? So I can safely bet that when you decide to buy something, you don't pay any attention to the price and just pay for the most expensive item despite lower cost products are available.
yeah...I'm sure that all these people complaining about "greedy companies" would GLADLY take a pay cut so we can all get cheaper goods and services, right?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:23 PM
blarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nirvana
Indians cost that much more because the market is very small and manufacturing and parts sourcing reflect the small numbers. Afterall, a victory actually is priced less than an HD.
the reason that market is so small is because their price is so high because their parts and labor are more expensive. By your logic, Victories would ALSO cost $15k more because their market is smaller, where, in fact, they cost HALF as much because they save a whole bunch of money by sourcing a lot of parts from China and Mexico...the market size has nothing to do with this.

Believe me, if Indian could drop the price of their bikes $10-15k, they would because they could sell a lot more bikes.

Last edited by blarg; 12-12-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Harley Moves Wheels Move to CHINA