Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Moves Wheels Move to CHINA

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The parts were already outsourced off shore and is going to another off shore location.

Question. What difference does that make?

Tell me that they were going to Ohio and I would get excited. Well maybe just a little excited. At 71 I can't take too much excitement.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-11-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:01 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

If you want all american then buy a kit bike and build one yourself
13k for a complete kit. Some assembly required

http://brassballsbobbers.com/new/phases.aspx

I'm not sure what kind of backwards *** thinking goes in your brain, but there is a harley following everywhere. Regardless what color you are.

Just because Australians are white... I mean Caucasian it's ok because of the color if their skin.

Just like the others have said. When did Australia become USA?

You guys say that you want jobs here. But would you really go out there and work a manufacturing job that pays crap wages? You complain about illegals taking your jobs, but you guys wouldn't work in their shoes if hell froze over

Would you pay a DYNA for 20-25k or a Touring bike for 40-50k Non CVO if every single part was made here.

I call bullshit.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry WW...what?

Originally Posted by mkguitar
- either way it's foreign made--- like the forks, shock, electronics, starter etc. etc.

frame, sheetmetal and frame are US made

BTW Bosch made the electrical systems for H-D until the US entered WW I

Mike
I'd much rather share some manufacturing with a trusted Aly like Australia, than fricken China! Australians deserve respect...and sacking them right before Christmas is disgracefull on Harley's part IMHO! I had no idea my wheels were manufactured "Down-Under"...but I can be proud that they were. Australia has zero tolerance for muslim-extremists in their country...something we can learn from.

Oh yea...the engines and trannys are US made.

Dex

Last edited by dohadex; 12-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TO34
I'm always curious when I see posts like this, just how much would a HD bike built with all US made parts cost?
Bingo. That's the real issue, isn't it? The same folks on here whining about parts being made in China would otherwise be whining about the high price tag of an all-American-made Harley. Which way to we really want it?

The problem is American labor has priced itself out of business. In this country, we think we need sufficient income to afford the American lifestyle, including a few of its luxuries. In other countries, they are satisfied with sufficient income to just eat and live. As long as it's less expensive to be done elsewhere, it will be.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
Bingo. That's the real issue, isn't it? The same folks on here whining about parts being made in China would otherwise be whining about the high price tag of an all-American-made Harley. Which way to we really want it?

The problem is American labor has priced itself out of business. In this country, we think we need sufficient income to afford the American lifestyle, including a few of its luxuries. In other countries, they are satisfied with sufficient income to just eat and live. As long as it's less expensive to be done elsewhere, it will be.
If we were all satisfied to just eat and live, no one here would own a Harley. It is pretty much a luxury for me.....

Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh

Really, you think it's the exorbitant compensation package that American workers get paid is why parts aren't manufactured here. The combination of corporate greed, and Federal regulation and policy made manufacturing unattractive because manufacturers can’t turn enough profit once Uncle Sam gets done tying their hands behind their back. Outsourced manufacturing is on the opposite end of the spectrum, they use child and slave labor, in deplorable conditions, for substandard wages, all the while polluting their environment to the point it will barely sustain human life; But that’s all Ok so long as it doesn’t take place in our back yard where we have to look at it, and we can buy our cheap disposable crap at the 24 hour Wally World. Paying a little more for something well designed and built from quality materials by skilled craftsmen is worth it in the long run, but the majority of Americans have been brainwashed to think its in their best interest to buy cheap imports to benefit their personal financial situation. What we consume has long since surpassed what we produce, under those conditions it won’t be long before we run out of money, then what did we save?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All u guys complaining about high price of U.S. labor r full of s*#t,its not the hourly wage that is responsible for the high cost of most products,its the clowns at the top who get millions in salaries,run companies into the ground,get a bonus and move on to rob n destroy the next one without any consequences.How many H.D's do u have to sell to pay someones salary of couple of million dollars each year?(small part of the problem lies in accounting-each dept.has its own budget,bottom line is one company,one budget)
Before some one starts educating me about running a business don't,I own my own business,pay union wages and still do fine.Flame on.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't realize the wheels were currently made in Australia but that is far better than China at least Australia has a comparable economy.

I look at the label on absolutely everything I buy!

And I will always by made in the USA products if that is an option, and if it's union made that is even better. Union wages have provided me with a good living for over 30 years so I choose to support Union workers when I can.

If it comes down to two products that are made elsewhere I will go with the non US based company. I won't help the bottom line of a company that took American jobs elsewhere.

For an example I was a loyal RCA television customer bought nothing but RCA because they had plants here in Indiana. (Indianapolis, Bloomington & Marion)
When it came time to buy a new TV I went with a Korean company only to find out it was assembled in Mexico.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Don't think I'll be needing any more new Harleys!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about cheap *** labor!! The Aussies bust ***, turned out good products for HD; who in turn wants to make even more money...sending the wheel plant to china...pay those poor sob's crap wages... sell HD branded wheels for $$$$ !! And guess what? People will still buy overpriced wheels just because HD is selling them!!

Corporate HD does not give a damn what people say or think about the way they run the business ... its just that... a business! You think Willie D or any of the owners of HD give a sh*t? They are laughing all the way to the bank!!!

Quick Reply: Harley Moves Wheels Move to CHINA