Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Moves Wheels Move to CHINA

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

sucks, im on the buy american kick when ever possible.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is it really true?

as I just got back from a trip to the HD factory in KC Mo with an dealer owner from my area. I thought about this thread the whole trip and then asked him if it was true??

He said point blank to me and said NO....in fact they are moving them from Australia back to the US. HD is already having quality isssues with other parts made over there (DUH) they aren't going to take their chance with their rims. This was directly from the owner's mouth.....

Last edited by Bdhouse61; 01-14-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Ray F.
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents as a owner of 3 different models and a modest 20 years of ownership:

My 2002 Glide will probably be the last Harley I buy. It already has more import parts on it from the factory than I'm comfortable with having. As Harley follows the typical corporate model of growth, I cannot see the percentage of import parts doing anything but increasing. My humble opinion is that the HD design is antiquated and maintenance requirements are pretty substantial when compared to Japanese bikes. Personally, I buy Harleys because of the "Made in America" aspect and I'm more than willing to overlook these stated shortfalls because I like the feeling of riding American iron with my friends.

If HD is going to continue to increase it's import parts, however, I'll probably end up with a Gold Wing when I have to replace the Glide. At what point is a bike made or not made in America? Honda has plants that assemble import parts in the U.S. Unless HD puts the kabosh on increasing import parts, the only difference between Harley and Honda will be the address of the home offices and dependability. Again...just my 2 cents.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hd2009man
as I just got back from a trip to the HD factory in KC Mo with an dealer owner from my area. I thought about this thread the whole trip and then asked him if it was true??

He said point blank to me and said NO....in fact they are moving them from Australia back to the US. HD is already having quality isssues with other parts made over there (DUH) they aren't going to take their chance with their rims. This was directly from the owner's mouth.....
I wish I'd took pictures when I replaced the tires on my 2010 RK in my sig pic. I replaced the 408F and 407 rear with a set of Dunlop American Elite's. While cleaning the rims before mounting the new tires, I saw stamped right inside the chrome smooth Profile Rims...MADE IN CHINA
Tell your Dealer/Owner friend he's full of ****!!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Another thing, I owe Stiggy and a few other's an apology. I've been taking up for HD on wheel bearing's. NO MORE! I'm in the process of putting chrome rims on my wife's 2012 Triglide. I tried to find American made Bearings for the front. They are the 25MM non abs bearings. I know harley's part number's, but I wanted a different bearing because I found out HD's Bearing's are made in China. The size turns out to be 6205-2RS. I found some made by SKF in America. SKF's number is 6205-2RS1. I bought two from Cleveland supply in Ohio.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If Harley continues its use of China made parts I am beginning to wonder what the hell we are all doing buying this so-called over priced Made in America Bike. The technological of Harley's are so far behind...I mean, basically, the design of Harley's is the same as it was back in the fifty's. A Goldwing is so far more advanced than Harley's it boggles the mind. Don't get me wrong, I love my bike and it would be near impossible for me to change over to a Japanese model but frankly, lately, the thought has crossed my mind.

Last edited by Terrabella; 01-21-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

The only thing HD has going for it is American unionized labor, and great paint.

Other than that what do we have?

We have an antiquated mickey moused bike that won't run right from the factory thanks to the EPA, and HD's outright refusal to go to a water cooled bike.

The wheels are made offshore, the suspension offshore, the brakes offshore, etc etc etc.

And with all the offshore parts, especially the ones made in China where labor is dirt cheap, HD's are still the most expensive bikes out there. HD has not passed along any of the cost savings.

Not that GoldWings are cheap these days either, but a GW line has had one manufacturing issue in the last 10 years, where HD is a constant clusterf*ck of design and manufacturing defects.

HD will be a dead company in 30 years. They do not make a product the first time (youth) purchaser will buy, even though the VRod should be under the ***** of the American youth, HD has failed to price or market it as an alternative to the Busa, ZX-14, 1000RR, or any of the bikes that are kicking it's backside in the marketplace.

HD is the next Kodak... failure to adapt until it was too late, HD is the next ****, Digital, Polaroid.....

When HD DID finally make a bike that had the potential to compete on price and performance, they KILLED it. RIP Buell !

I know a lot of guys my age and older (53 ++) that are buying Kawi C14's, and Yami FJR1300's and geting the best of sport touring bikes. Think of a bike with bags that will do a 10 second 1/4 mile and still let you tour in comfort and confidence 500 miles at a time.

We cut our teeth on Honda CB 125's, 350's, 360's, Kawi KZ550's and GPz's, and have stayed with those brands and bikes. Back when I got my first Kawi 550, the only thing HD had to offer for 1500 dollars more btw, was a 883 Skirtster. The only thing that saved their azz was the Heritage Softail, because Honda was handing HD their ballz with the clones.

HD wake the fark up! Give me a water cooled bagger. Go find one of those Vrod baggers that are out there and copy the damn thing. I'll be the first one in line to put a deposit down on one. I'll even pay MSRP!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Tooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the most part I agree with much of the previous post. THe exception is that HD actually did try to market less expensive bikes over the past 18 months. As they retooled and restructured the York plant. They say they did not meet the Touring model demand. If you follow their stocks and profits they were down in the fourth quarter due to this "Ford concept" of restructure which did not really work.

THe truth that Harley needs to recognize is that the traditional Harley rider is dying off. I am 55, the previous post is 53. We are good for another 10 years of riding...maybe....and then out of the purchasing age. If you have not developed a new market for the Harley with younger riders they will have nothing in 10 years. With the general world economy and lack of expendible income you can only find buyers which are older and if their demand goes down you got nothing.

Harley has come along way in customer service and dealer friendliness. I am not sure they can continue to fool the motorcycle world that being "Big and Bad ***" at $25K a crack is the way to go.

I am not sure a Buell rider necessarily converts into a Big Twin rider.

Last edited by Tooth; 01-23-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: omitted sentence
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by hd2009man

In another post I stated the Chrome smooth profile rims on my 2010 RK were made in china. I'm in the process of putting chrome rims on my wife's 2012 Triglide. Here is the front factory wheel . Even the rubber valve stems have made in china on them. Any question's now about where HD is buying their wheels????

Attached Thumbnails Harley Moves Wheels Move to CHINA-2012-triglide-wheel.jpg  

Last edited by Ronp42; 01-24-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read a lot of these responses and it makes me proud that there are so many who "want" American made everything. It seems it really goes beyond Harley. More people need to try harder at buying American. I bought my wiley x sunglasses because they are made in USA. I also decided to go with a Miken Softball bat because it is one of the few companies still making bats in the USA. I love my Harley.

I do disagree with some of the older generation on here that want to believe they are a dying breed. Come on....really? Your not the wild mustangs that used to once roam the country. Yes, Harley does need to do better at appealing to the younger crowd. That younger crowd wants sport bikes and Harley doesn't compare to an R1 (or others). I am 37 and bet there are plenty of younger folks that will be here to buy Harleys once your gone. Don't worry.....we'll keep it going (jk). Fact is, I couldn't afford a harley until I reached 30 and I know that is the case with many younger people. Have you seen what it costs for the younger generation to get started in life? Even a college tuition can put you back 50K. That is a big hole to climb out of.

Quick Reply: Harley Moves Wheels Move to CHINA