Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield suggestions for a 2010 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
SGSpirit
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield suggestions for a 2010 Street Glide

The windshield is too short on my street glide and creates excessive helmet buffeting at speed. My eyes are approximately 6" or so above the top of the existing windscreen. I would really appreciate any suggestions for replacement windshields that may help this situation.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM
mechmatt
Tourer

I have a long ride shield its and 8 inch and it sits right about my nose and the wind goes over my head.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm 6 foot. Got 8 inch clear view brand. Definitely made hearing the radio better. As far as wind......well it's a bike. Get a good pair air tight goggles like 7eye. Once your eyeballs are stable (high speed riding) and you can hear the tunes the "wind" becomes not a factor.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:24 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

how tall are you? If you are 5.10 to 6.0 you may want a 8 inch. If you are shorter, you may want a 6 inch. THere are many different options on the shields. See if you can find a dealer that has demo shields. I know KW has some at different dealers.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the National Cycle V Stream. For summer I have the ultra low, good smooth airstream, and winter, I have the low, great protection and I (at 5'9") can look over it or through it.
I always wear a full face helmet so your results may differ.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:33 PM
FSCparrothead
Advanced

Im about 5'10" and the stock shield works best for me, i spent about 4 hr one day testing out other shields and Im happiest with the stock.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I size my windscreen so that the top edge "appears" to fall about 40' in front of the bike.

That works for me. at 6'2" I use Ultra, streetglide and brawler seats on my bike, and I swap windscreens to match. ( I have 12, 10, 8 and 7 inch screens)

The wind blast flows just above my head.

Some helmets catch the air better- I rarely wear one but when I do, I have a H-D 1/2 helmet that has a little ducktail at the back and it is the most stable helmet I've ever had to wear.

I buy take off H-D windscreens from "upgrading" riders cheap and cut the bottom ( hidden) edge with a rotozip.

the stock H-D windscreen is pretty tough, mine took an apple sized rock at highway speed last year that would have broken my face--- I keep that in mind when I see the ebay windscreens for sale.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-10-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your stock SG shield ia bout 4 3/8" tall.. +/-
If your line of sight is 6" above a stock SG shield then your looking at a max height of a 10 in shield. Most riders prefer to look over the shield by 1-2 inches. So based on that Id recommend a 8 or a 9 inch Aero Recurve shield.

Check out the Aero page, theres a bunch of info there to help you decide.

http://www.fastaire.com/Aero.html

You're welcomed to Email or Call me if you need any further assistance.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:50 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a Clearview 9 in. recurve.

I am 6 foot and this takes the stream over my head.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield suggestions for a 2010 Street Glide-flhx3.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
I'm 6 foot. Got 8 inch clear view brand. Definitely made hearing the radio better. As far as wind......well it's a bike. Get a good pair air tight goggles like 7eye. Once your eyeballs are stable (high speed riding) and you can hear the tunes the "wind" becomes not a factor.
You guys may think I am crazy, but I find that I can actually hear the stereo better with earplugs in my ears. I have tried it both ways, with and without, and there is less wind noise and more music with them in than without the plugs.

I asked my audiologist about this and she said that she was not surprised since solids conduct sound better than air.

Anyway, helmet or no helmet, give it a try and see for yourself.

Quick Reply: Windshield suggestions for a 2010 Street Glide