Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:18 PM
shrice51
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like most of you, I am very pleased with the fit, finish and functionality of the FCS. I've ridden a few short trips when the weather was not as hot here in D.C., and could not tell a difference adding the fan. My oil temp usually takes 20-25 min to reach 180deg. Then straight riding @ 60, it will go to 190. That being said, a group of us left H-D of Washington today and headed to Thurmont MD, through D.C. into VA, back roads to Leesburg Va, highway to Frederick MD, and on to Thurmont.

There were times when the oil temp reached 220 deg, but that was stop and go through D.C. and all the major towns we hit.

High temp today for us reached 101deg, and all highway miles cruising 60-70 mph, oil temp stayed close to 190deg.

Another motorcycle in the group was indicating 265 deg, while I was at 200deg. His was a newer cycle, but gutted the cats, and we were riding two up as well.

Bottom line for me, in all the stop and go traffic we hit, my oil temp never reached 230deg. I ran the fans ~90% of the time too, and they were still working well after 200 miles and five hours of riding.

Too bad I couldn't monitor the head temp while I was riding.

Thanks Jason!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 PM
rpeters282
Cruiser

Installed mine last week with a switch on the right handlebar. Intention is to run them continuously (unless it's freezing cold re: winter). Best rational is fan life - can't hurt pulling cool air across the fan motor which is basically up against a hot jug. Dint know the temp. rating of these fans, but pulling cold air across them has got to help with longer life of the fan motor. Want to weigh in, Jason?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Just recieved my second set. Thinking I should send my first set back to be autographed I was #4 on original list. Second set is even nicer and I am impressed. Side note I have had ZERO problems with first set and they work excellent.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:51 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rpeters282
Installed mine last week with a switch on the right handlebar. Intention is to run them continuously (unless it's freezing cold re: winter). Best rational is fan life - can't hurt pulling cool air across the fan motor which is basically up against a hot jug. Dint know the temp. rating of these fans, but pulling cold air across them has got to help with longer life of the fan motor. Want to weigh in, Jason?
The fans are class A rated, about 160F operatinfg temp, but there is more to it than a simple temp value, that is allowable above ambient temp, so its really more like 220F operating temp. More info better explained here. The motor doesn't immediately fail when the rated temperature is breeched, every 10C(18F) above rated temp the life is cut in half. The rated life is 50000 hours, actual expected life less. Fellow member TXSailor is a veteran electronics engineer, he was kind enough to calculate the system Mean Time Before Failure MTBF, it was expressed as average life expectancy will be 4 hrs per day, everyday, for 6.8 years, naturally with some early failure. With these mass produced electronics it is expected to have a reasonable failure rate. For those that have visibility of their head temps most are seing about 240F +/-, but that doesn't mean the fans are 240F by virtue of their proximity to the head, the head heat is not being directly conducted to the fans, there is an air gap, which knocks the heat down substantially, and as you mentioned the fresh cool air blowing across the motor has a positive impact. Now add the insulating value of the thermal barrier I apply to the back of the fan motor, I'm not really concerned about heat affecting fan motor life. Its on me, I warranty the fans for 2 years, they fail, I replace them, I think that is fair. I would love to have a higher thermal insulation fan that does what the current fans do, just for everyones piece of mind, mine included. That would be a custom configuration that would add to the cost and manufacture time, I haven't completely written it off, but I'm still looking to test some fans with higher CFM/Pressure to see if it is worth persuing. I believe I'm at the point where there is not much left to be gained, once I verify that with extensive testing, I will seek a higher insulation class for my motors, then I can stop cutting out those damn little thermal insulation discs. I hope this is helpful info.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed my FCS yesterday. Started the bike, flipped on the fans and rode an hour through city traffic that would normally have the bike in parade mode fairly quickly due to all the stop lights but the bike never entered ETIMS. So far I'm very pleased.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Will have to think about a set for next year, my intiminators are great if that is an indication of workmanship and the customer service was top notch.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM
cbrown@woods.net
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
The Jagg 10 row is pretty simple to protect. I cut the screen just slightly wider than the finned section. flex it outwards a little and it kind of locks in place on the top and bottom of the fin section, used a piece of stainless wire in the 4 corners and twist wired it through the heat exchanger fins. the screen flexes outward and is kinda springy so stuf will bounce off it. Its a little dirty and banged up but you can see how I Hooked it up in the pics.

Here is a very simple secondary/easy product to add to your site.

Plenty of folks have the HD or Jagg 10 row coolers getting thrashed but dont have easy access to the supplies/etc to do a really clean job of it themselves.

Since you are already using the same material you might consider offering 2 pre-cut screens in HD or Jagg size (isn't the newer HD cooler identical to the 10row horizontal jagg?) with a simple 1 page suggested install sheet.

Seems like something you could easying crank out and I am sure there lots of folks who would drop say $25 +shipping for a pair of pre-cut screens, saving them the fun of finding/shipping the material and cutting.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Deleted by WPW

Last edited by WARDSPARTSWERKS; 08-06-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: unprofessional
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Post is no longer valid.

Last edited by dbell66253; 08-06-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: post deleted