Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Splais1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you using your fan, i.e., on all the time, part of time, when in traffic, etc? It's hot here and I'm thinking it should just be on all the time. When the auto switch is available probably a must have in our area.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In the directions that Jason sent with my fans (latest design) he suggested to switch them on after 5-10 minutes once the bike warms up and leave them running. He also mentioned that they have a 50,000 hour life expectancy and the best way to ensure a long life for them would be to run them as frequently as possible.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Splais1 - It's hot (and Humid) here in Southeast TX as well. I have my fans wired up to permanent power via the Thermal Switch that Jason will provide once he receives them from the factory. (I did some of the development and testing hence I have been thru several differnt versions/configurations.)

Wired in this fashion, my fans come on about the time the engine gets warmed up (circa 185 to 195F - depends on how I'm riding at the time). They then run all the time until I shut the engine off at which time they start the "cool down" cycle. They will then cycle one to three times off /on/off until the Engine is once again down around 185F.

These are the indicated temperatures from the CHT sensor via my Dakota Digital Instruments.

I recommend leaving them on even if at Highway speeds (at least up to 65 to 70 mph) as there are several benefits:

1) Keeps the fans cooler
2) Keeps the Engine cooler (if you have a way to measure the Head Temp turn them off after the temp has stabilized out on the road and you'll see!)
3) Gives "peace of mind" ( I never worry about the engine overheating anymore).

I have added a small LED indicator so I know when the are on and off as a visual size that all is well.

Hope that helps.

This is just my results however and your expereince may be differnt.

D

Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 AM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

for those who have wired there fans in how did you run teh wires and to where. I will be putting them on a 2012 RK. I will plan on getting the thermal switch when it is available. I was thinking of hooking direct to the battery but just wondering what the best way to run the wires is and what others have done.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
incar911
6th Gear

I just received my FCS today, I was #123 on the old list. I want to let other members here know what a high quality, masterfully designed piece of equipment this cooling fan unit is. The workmanship is superb - I don't know if it could be any better! The quality, fit and finish is better than "custom OEM".

Nice work Jason! (I'm showing these to a couple of riding buddies today that were on the fence - pretty sure you'll see a couple more orders placed ;-)) Will be installing in the morning.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

Rode home from work the last two days in near 100 degree heat. The traffic was stop and go so I spent a lot of time at idle. Before installing the cooling fans my oil temps would be in the 250's and 260's after a ride like that. Now I'm seeing my oil temps staying below 250 on hot in town rides. I'm a believer that the fans reduce engine temps.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemay1
for those who have wired there fans in how did you run teh wires and to where. I will be putting them on a 2012 RK. I will plan on getting the thermal switch when it is available. I was thinking of hooking direct to the battery but just wondering what the best way to run the wires is and what others have done.
On my 2012 ultra I pulled the tank and ran the wires on the side of the factory harness then hooked it directly to the battery. I'm glad I did it this way as I will also be adding the thermal switch when available. The whole install was simple and took less than an hour.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Splais1
Cruiser

My install kit came with one large flat washer I can't figure where it goes. Anyone help?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Splais1
My install kit came with one large flat washer I can't figure where it goes. Anyone help?
I just added that to the kit, it replaces the original thick washer under the main bullet nut, to recover some of the thread engagement and holding power lost with the thickness of the FCS housing. Just one of the continued improvements based on customer feedback. I'm behind on updating the instructions.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed mine this afternoon. Couldn't find the instructions on the website so did it anyway, pretty self explanatory. I was able to use the original washer between the horn bracket and fans, and used the supplied washer under the acorn nut. Plenty of room and gives nice clearance between the fans and fins. It took less then 10 minutes to mount the horn. It took 5 minutes to make a deutsch plug to connect to my accessory switch under the seat. Any maybe 10 more minutes to hide the wires. All in all, pretty easy.

Hooked the Power Vision up to read the head temp while trying to get it in EITMS. Just wouldn't do it. This morning before the install at every stop light it would engage. The highest temp reading was 282* on the highway cruising at 75 in 90* heat. The strangest thing is getting off the highway, getting stuck at a light, and watching the temps go down. Think it got down to 256*. In stop and go traffic in the city probably 262*. A big improvement over what it used to be +300*. Honestly I needed all the help I could get on this Trike. I think my routine will be to turn the fans on when I first start the bike in the morning and leave the fans running.

The toughest part of the whole install was readjusting the horn and cover on the bracket to get the fan assembly to slide in. After I had it mounted I tried the horn and it was somewhat muted. The fans were touching the horn. A quick adjustment and all was good.

You can't go wrong with this mod.

Name:  IMG_0173A.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  82.9 KB

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again