Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:42 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

waiting on iclick's review..............????????? Where you at Bob??

Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by skydude426
I recieved the cooling fan last week and installed it on Friday. I'd like to confirm what others have said about the quality of this product. Its a well built, American made device that moves a considerable amount of air. Very impressive Jason.
I did a test of the fan at idle. I'm sure others have done this but I thought I'd post my results anyway. I started the bike cold the first time without the fans running and recorded oil and cylinder head temp for 11 minutes. At 11 minutes I shut it down because it was getting hot. The next day, I started it cold and idled the bike for 17 minutes. I could have gone longer but I was limited on time but this shows the effectiveness of the fans at idle. Both days the outside air temp at my house was over 100 degrees. I used a digital dip stick to get the oil temp and my Thunder Max software to monitor the cylinder head temp. Since I have no way to monitor these temps on the go, all I could perform was an idle test but thats what our bikes do alot of in stop and go traffic and at stop lights.When I'm riding the bike I can tell there isn't as much heat boiling up on my legs. Count me as another person who believes Jasons fan makes a marked improvement in engine temperatures. The following is the specs for my bike and the test results.
2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
Stock 103 engine with stock throttle body and cams
Zippers Maxflow air cleaner
D&D Fat Cat 2into1 exhaust with a quiet baffle
Thunder Max ECM
Day 1, 101 degree outside air temp, fan OFF
.............OIL......CHT
1 min.......93......103
2 min......101......131
3 min......109......156
4 min......116......178
5 min......122......200
6 min......129......219
7 min......135......234
8 min......141......249
9 min......148......264
10 min.....153......276
11 min.....159......287
Day 2, 103 degree outside air temp, fan ON
.............OIL......CHT
1 min......101......107
2 min......111......127
3 min......117......145
4 min......124......161
5 min......131......172
6 min......131......183
7 min......142......191
8 min......148......198
9 min......153......205
10 min.....158......211
11 min.....162......217
12 min.....167......221
13 min.....173......224
14 min.....176......227
15 min.....181......230
16 min.....185......233
17 min.....190......235

From reading this it actually has me somewhat worried the the fans may actually be causing the oil temp to rise higher than it would without them at idle..I say this because "it appears" fans cool the cooling fins on the head
which could cause the engine to NOT go into single cylinder running mode even though the oil is hot...when the engine goes into etms it actually cools the inside of the motor and that is where the oil is...whereas the fans just cool the fins of the motor, which in theory should cool the oil but from the looks of the results from the test, it looks as though it doesn't...

Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 AM
fathog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrfikser
From reading this it actually has me somewhat worried the the fans may actually be causing the oil temp to rise higher than it would without them at idle..I say this because "it appears" fans cool the cooling fins on the head
which could cause the engine to NOT go into single cylinder running mode even though the oil is hot...when the engine goes into etms it actually cools the inside of the motor and that is where the oil is...whereas the fans just cool the fins of the motor, which in theory should cool the oil but from the looks of the results from the test, it looks as though it doesn't...
If this is true then a fan assisted oil cooler may make more sense.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

You guy's are overthinking and not reading the chart. Of course the oil was hotter in the second test, the bike idled for six minutes more on a hotter day! Look at the results at eleven minutes in both tests and the temperature on both days, the fans are working great!!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon
You guy's are overthinking and not reading the chart. Of course the oil was hotter in the second test, the bike idled for six minutes more on a hotter day! Look at the results at eleven minutes in both tests and the temperature on both days, the fans are working great!!
I agree. At 11 minutes there is a mere 3 degree difference in oil temp. I wouldn't get myself worked up over that.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with SkyDude and Rideon. The delta is negligible in steady state operation (i.e. , real riding versus long term idle) which is real life.

Everyone should remember the source of the heat which is the combustion chamber. That heat then migrates outward in the Engine Block (and therefore the cooling fins) as well as being transferred to the Oil.

Heat flows, Cold does not. The higher the differential between the Temperatures (Hot and Cold), the faster the Heat is dissipated.

I like a "cooler" ride and specific parts of my body don't like getting too warm. That's why I have a Crotch Cooler, Oil Cooler, Jason's FCS, Synthetic Oil, etc..... Now if I could just figure out how to get some refrigeration out of the V-Twin AC would be next.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
waiting on iclick's review..............????????? Where you at Bob??
I did a review right after installing the FCS, then two follow-up posts later on:

p. 51, #509
p. 55, #543
p. 71, #709

I give the FCS a thumbs-up, and it still amazes me how such small fans can make such a difference in CHT.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon

I think you missed the point I made entirely...so I will try again...on both charts the oil temp is basically identical ( taking into account the difference in air temp), but the head fins are obviously getting cooler and causing the temperature sender in the head to believe that the whole engine is cooler than it really is...which causes the eitms to not engage (which we know because it never goes into single cylinder mode with the fans on)....also, I am quite surprised to see that the oil temps did not drop, rise slower, or not rise as high with the fans on as with the fans off...I personally believe that if the first test (no fans) would have been run longer we would have continued to see the oil temps rise at a much greater rate than in the 2nd test with the fans on....

Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Too much ado about nothing. The reason I'm getting the fans is for a cooler engine when stuck in traffic, or putting about on a hot summer day. Don't care what the oil temp will be. I do know that it will be cooler than it is now and won't heat up as quickly. Plus the better half will be happier. Additionally, I have no intention of sitting at idle for any length of time.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Delta - I'm there with ya Buddy!

The operational data collected could be second guessed and analyzed till the cows come home given all the variables .

Although I am an Engineer by training and by profession, I am smart enough to know when something works and not always why it works or even how.

Jason's Forced Convection System works and I'm running cooler than I ever have. No more 300F for me in traffic.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again