Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelCummings
Jason,

Is the thermo switch TxSailor spoke about ready for retrofitting to existing systems yet?

Thanks..
Good topic for a rainy Sunday afternoon, I had to take a break from welding because of the storm. First I want to recognize members TXSailor and Tryus, they have put an unbelievable amount of time, energy, and effort into finding an automatic switch solution. They have tolerated my BS along the way and they made it happen. Thanks guys for you direct contribution to improving the performance of the FCS! I actually did not place the order Friday because the MFR was having network issues, I will place the order on Monday morning, based on my conversation with the sales rep I should have them by the 3rd week in AUG, they must be built to spec once ordered, they are not an off the shelf product. It is a very simple 2 wire device, with a set of disconnects to match the ones currently on the system. It can be added to either the POS or NEG side of the housing pigtail, the result will be exactly the same. This little switch will definately enhance the overall performance of the system. I'm looking forward to putting it on my own bike and getting rid of the $200, speed/thermal/Time delay system I'm using now. My prototype switch system doen't come on initially until I reach about 260-270F so it should be an improvement for me too. Well the rain has stopped, radar is clear, garage door back up, spoolgun in hand, I'm back on the hampster wheel. Holler.
Jason

Old 07-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
Good topic for a rainy Sunday afternoon, I had to take a break from welding because of the storm. First I want to recognize members TXSailor and Tryus, they have put an unbelievable amount of time, energy, and effort into finding an automatic switch solution. They have tolerated my BS along the way and they made it happen. Thanks guys for you direct contribution to improving the performance of the FCS! I actually did not place the order Friday because the MFR was having network issues, I will place the order on Monday morning, based on my conversation with the sales rep I should have them by the 3rd week in AUG, they must be built to spec once ordered, they are not an off the shelf product. It is a very simple 2 wire device, with a set of disconnects to match the ones currently on the system. It can be added to either the POS or NEG side of the housing pigtail, the result will be exactly the same. This little switch will definately enhance the overall performance of the system. I'm looking forward to putting it on my own bike and getting rid of the $200, speed/thermal/Time delay system I'm using now. My prototype switch system doen't come on initially until I reach about 260-270F so it should be an improvement for me too. Well the rain has stopped, radar is clear, garage door back up, spoolgun in hand, I'm back on the hampster wheel. Holler.
Jason

Jason,

I have been extremely happy with my first generation fan. Icing on the cake would be the auto switch. Currently I'm running my fans all of the time. On and forget it. How do I go about ordering or getting on a list for this auto switch? Thanks, Rick

Old 07-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Jason,

I have been extremely happy with my first generation fan. Icing on the cake would be the auto switch. Currently I'm running my fans all of the time. On and forget it. How do I go about ordering or getting on a list for this auto switch? Thanks, Rick

I too would like to get the auto switch to enhance my FCS.

Arvid

Old 07-22-2012, 04:46 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Jason,

I should take delivery about the 3rd week of Aug and they will be available on the website as a stand alone purchase. I will post a notice on this thread when I have them ready to ship.

Shotgun Blast Update.

Regardless of where you are on the "list" your system will ship no later than 15 Aug. Most of the Black/Stainless and Black/Black will ship in about 10-14 days. The Silver and Grey Housing and screen options will take a about 2 weeks longer. The exception is chrome, I don't know how long it will be, I'm still waiting for a do over from the chrome shop to see if it will meet an accepable standard. Even if you emailed me, sent a PM, or put a note in your Payal payment or deposit, please go to the configuration page and fill out the form, that is what I will be working from when I build your system. You don't need to fill out the configuration form if you made a deposit in the last week with the new Paypal button, because the options are all captured at the time of deposit. I appreciate everyones understanding while I get the bugs worked out of my ordering system. By the end of the month I should have a bunch of finished and painted housings on the shelf, waiting to be filled with fans as soon as they come in. Believe me nobody want to see the end of this backorder situation more than me, I will keep working to have as much completed stuff on hand as the money will allow.
Thanks
Jason

Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm #122, I'm guessing I will be in the next batch, I also put a deposit in, but I like the color just the way it is, will not be opting for anything different. Looks like I should be hearing from you soon, just let me know and I will be sending payment ASAP. I'll keep following, the thermal switch seems like a pretty good idea, I'm sure I'll be ordering that soon also.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 PM
MichaelCummings
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all I can say is WOW!!!!

I don't really have any numbers yet but I can't believe the effectiveness of Jason's FCS. I have been watching my front cyl temp using a Power Vison and you can see a major and quick drop in temps when activating the fans. Tri-Glides get especially hot and the value if this is amazing.

I'll try to post some hard numbers in the next week or so..

Great product Jason!!!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

I recieved the cooling fan last week and installed it on Friday. I'd like to confirm what others have said about the quality of this product. Its a well built, American made device that moves a considerable amount of air. Very impressive Jason.
I did a test of the fan at idle. I'm sure others have done this but I thought I'd post my results anyway. I started the bike cold the first time without the fans running and recorded oil and cylinder head temp for 11 minutes. At 11 minutes I shut it down because it was getting hot. The next day, I started it cold and idled the bike for 17 minutes. I could have gone longer but I was limited on time but this shows the effectiveness of the fans at idle. Both days the outside air temp at my house was over 100 degrees. I used a digital dip stick to get the oil temp and my Thunder Max software to monitor the cylinder head temp. Since I have no way to monitor these temps on the go, all I could perform was an idle test but thats what our bikes do alot of in stop and go traffic and at stop lights.When I'm riding the bike I can tell there isn't as much heat boiling up on my legs. Count me as another person who believes Jasons fan makes a marked improvement in engine temperatures. The following is the specs for my bike and the test results.
2012 Ultra Classic Electra Glide
Stock 103 engine with stock throttle body and cams
Zippers Maxflow air cleaner
D&D Fat Cat 2into1 exhaust with a quiet baffle
Thunder Max ECM
Day 1, 101 degree outside air temp, fan OFF
.............OIL......CHT
1 min.......93......103
2 min......101......131
3 min......109......156
4 min......116......178
5 min......122......200
6 min......129......219
7 min......135......234
8 min......141......249
9 min......148......264
10 min.....153......276
11 min.....159......287
Day 2, 103 degree outside air temp, fan ON
.............OIL......CHT
1 min......101......107
2 min......111......127
3 min......117......145
4 min......124......161
5 min......131......172
6 min......131......183
7 min......142......191
8 min......148......198
9 min......153......205
10 min.....158......211
11 min.....162......217
12 min.....167......221
13 min.....173......224
14 min.....176......227
15 min.....181......230
16 min.....185......233
17 min.....190......235

Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's rather interesting that the Oil "soaks" up more heat when the fans are on in this test.

I am always amazed at what many of the guys report lower Oil temp on the Touring (103) bikes. My 88 Softail even with an Oil cooler will get the oil up to 235 to 240 after a high speed run of an hour or so....I never bother to check it at idle....

How much oil is in those engines (103) anyway???????

And Yes, the FANS are awesome......

Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

TXSailor,
4 quarts with the filter.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:08 PM
hboat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got stuck in town today...usually my riding is outta town. 55 minutes, 80*'s, more traffic, red lights, strollers in crosswalks, street work than I'd care to see. CHT's 212-232, OT's 207-230. Sure beats the 300's and 270's I used to see.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again