Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Low power ok. Still get cooling at 55-60 mph. From my observation. Will put in the higher power fans if these got out.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
Did I mention that with the low power fans I'm currently using in all of the sytems that have already shipped, the system cools better than the Love Jugs.
Jason
Excellent. So you have tested your system against the Love Jugs, and found that your fans do a better job of cooling the V-Twin cylinders. I should have waited a bit longer before purchasing the LJ's, as I like your design much better. I just figured more CFM was better. I guess that's not the case. When you start producing the second generation fan system, I will gladly place an order. Thanks.

DJK

Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Depdog
Well, that would greatly suck. I just got one of the HD Oil Temp guages and when I do my 1000 mile service I am going to put it in. I will check the gauge temp and then the pan temp and oil temp with an IR thermometer to see how close they are.

The gauges were on backorder and I just got mine a week or two ago, so it should be of very current manuf.

Are there other drop or bolt in Oil Temp. gauges out there that will go in the stock Air Temp gauge location with out a lot of custom modding?

Glenn

I have the Harley LCD digital temperature dipstick. Although it fogs up and over all seems like a poorly constructed POS for so much money, the gauge seems accurate to within + or - 2F based on my boiling water test.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I need to clear up a mistake on my part. I had a set of slightly stronger fans to test, and I lost track of them, thought I sold them by accident to a local guy, but it turns out they have been on my bike for several weeks. I did make a quick comparision and I posted that they didn't make that much of a difference so I elected to stay with the lower power consumption fans. Well turns out it was accurate that the stronger fans don't make much difference in a static test situation, but in a dynamic, actual riding situation they make a pretty big difference. And my recent claim of cooling benefit up to 60 MPH was not with the same fans that the systems are being built with. I do appologize and it was absolutely unintentional. I'm going to switch to these fans but I just recieved a shipment so I may be stuck with the original fans for now, but according to everyones feedback they seem to be working pretty well. There may be some minor improvements to my system in the future but my goal was to bring you a great product from the start, I have no plans to try and upsell another "better" version next year. I learned my lesson with the oil cooler fan project about waiting to long to try to bring the perfect product to market, I had to get the FCS project moving, so it wasn't perfect at release, but its not far from it. Did I mention that with the low power fans I'm currently using in all of the sytems that have already shipped, the system cools better than the Love Jugs.
Jason

Not only do you make a great product, but you also have a great deal of integrity. I really appreciate that character. Question then Jason, is it still advantagous to run the fans all the way up to that 60 Mph mark, or is the capacity to cool diminished at a lower Mph? Truth be told and based on the cooling effects I'm seeing with the first generation stuff, I think its a better compromise for me to have less current draw on my system and the adequate cooling effects of the lower draw fans. Thanks Again Jason...I absolutely love the product I received first generation or not!

Last edited by Rickr01; 06-21-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 247 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks for being upfront, Jason. I just conducted my 2nd freeway test yesterday. Hot here at 94 deg. and pretty humid. I left my fans on for the 20 mile ride and CHT stayed between 259-262. Without it, last week in nearly identical conditions, within 5 minutes, I was at CHT 270. I have a FM 2-1-2, AC, SE 204 and Power Vision. Actually, the only difference in riding conditions was last week I had a slight crosswind, whereas yesterday, I had a gusty tailwind/crosswind, so the cooling impact could have been even greater. I am convinced that I will ride with the fans on at all times until cooler temps later in the summer.

TedMan

Old 06-21-2012, 09:26 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a report of the insulation coming off the back of the fan motor so check them periodically. I'm pretty sure its an isolated case that I failed to clean with alcohol first, but keep an eye on it. I had a pretty tough time getting it off of a set that I ran for a while. It will not effect performance, I don't even know if its necessary, I just put it on there as "insurance" to help protect from radiant heat. If it becomes an issue I'll make it right!
Jason

Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Had a report of the insulation coming off the back of the fan motor so check them periodically.
Is the "back" the engine side with the label visible or the outside end closest to the screen?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned

Originally Posted by iclick
Is the "back" the engine side with the label visible or the outside end closest to the screen?
The side facing the engine.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

My fans where waiting for me when I got home from work today..........

Thanks Jason
It hit 100 here today and would be a great time to test your fans, but I have a more pressing issue............I got to get my new pool set up and filled

Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Default Warranty registration!

My registration page is now active. If you already submitted the online form, it did not populate in my email, and I apologize for the inconvenience, but you will need to resubmit it. I tested the form and it and it is fully functional now. Thanks to the generous effort of our Electrical Engineer member TXSailor, I will be expanding my warranty to 2 years for the original owner. He has conducted an “unofficial” assessment of the life expectancy of the electrical components in the system. The average life of the fans should be around 10,000 hours with some early failures at around 3000 hours. The Layman's translation is; 4 hours of fan runtime per day, every day, for 6.8 years on average, and 4 hours runtime per day for 2 years for the early failures. Of course there is always a possibility of a failure at any time, but this should give you a better idea about the life expectancy of your system. As mentioned before I am pursuing a custom fan configuration to include a higher thermal class rating, which would push the life expectancy well beyond what we have now. This project just keeps getting better, hell I’m even a little excited!

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again