Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skydude426
It's too bad the switch couldn't just turn the fan on in 1st through 4th gear and shut off for 5th and 6th gear.
Probably doable, but not all bikes have a top gear indicator signal to tap.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've worked in the Oil Patch for a very long time and have done considerable Process Control Work. I've seen processes "successful controlled" that are extremely complex and sometimes extremely simple. It all depends on the expectations set and what is acceptable as an outcome.

Anything can be done, it's just a matter of time and money. "Custom" solutions are usually much more expensive than solutions that take advantage of "off the shelf" components. I think Jason has done an admirable job in addressing the vast majority of the cooling concerns with his product via "readily available" components. The product is high quality and affordable and definitely works!

Could improvements be made - Always. Are they worth it - Sometimes.

The feedback from us users ( yes I have one of the FCS installed on my Softail now!) can provide is invaluable to not only Jason but also everyone who uses or even thinks about using this product so any improvements can be quantified, qualified for everyone.

I really enjoy reading the posts to this thread and would love to here further comments about desirable control features, etc.

safe (and cooler) riding, D

Old 06-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

On at a given temp off at a given temp/speed. Delay so they dont get caught up rapidly cycling off, on off, on KISS. keep it simple stupied. LOL

Old 06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Depdog
Can the switch be made to work off the HD sensors, like vehicle speed and or the front cyl. head temp. Say, over XX temp it comes on, over 55mph it cuts off.
I was wondering that myself, and the ECM does monitor speed and both ET (engine temp) and IAT (intake air temp). The HD parade fan uses a thermostat that mounts on the inside of the stock AC backplate but they don't say what to do if you're like 99% of us who use a Stage 1 AC. It's obviously reading IAT, which wouldn't be very high and I'm wondering how that would relate to the engine's actual temperature. Since they've taken the route of adding a separate t'stat I assume there is no way to tie-in a fan switch to the ECM's temperature parameters, or at least for it to kick on and off as they require. I would think we could adapt that thermostat to the Ward fans, but it's just a guess how it is configured and the manual doesn't explain.

I usually shift into 6th gear at around 60mph and 6th has an indicator light on the dash (6-speeds only, of course). I wonder if you could rig a relay to cut on when the indicator light is off. Thus when in 1st thru 5th gears the fans would be on. Just thinking out loud without much real thought going on in my head, but it sounds reasonable on the surface.

Last edited by iclick; 06-14-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CHT and Speed are data messages on the J1850 or CANBus (depends on the model and year of Harley as to which is used). The eloquent approach is to plug into the Data bus, read those two messages and then take action as necessary. Of course that requires you to decode the J1850 message stream or the CANBus message stream. This can be done in a micro-controller with the appropriate interfaces. I have logic written in assembly to do that BUT it's going to take time, research , and development effort to make a control system that you and I can afford using that appraoch.

The opposite end of the spectrum is to use what exists and discrete components; I.E. use the Vehicle Speed Sensor (which is a Hall Effect Sensor over the 4th gear in the Transmission) and the CHT sensor (which is on the back side for the Front cylinder behind the Horn bracket) to provide the needed inputs to a Field Programmable Gate Array, a Frequency to Voltage Comparator, or other logic chips to control the fans.

The middle of the road approach is to use an external Speed Sensor and external Temperature sensor/switch (which is what Jason has done with his prototype controls) but as he has mentioned elsewhere, what he has done is pretty expensive right now.

I assure you there is a team working on the solutions right now and hundreds of hours have been spent on it already. Keep on talking as the more input we have, the better but given the effort expended thus far, I'm not sure we have many (if any) "revelations" to be had at this point.

It just takes time to get er done.........

D

Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a set of Jason's fans and I can't really see any need or want for a automated fan switch. Whats so hard about flipping the acc switch when your going slow or stopped? If you forget and leave them on for longer than needed, big deal there rated for way more life than any of us will ever ride our bikes! Why over complicate a system that works fine how it is!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 247 Likes on 159 Posts

Update on my travails. Stealer is going to warranty the Acc switch/wire work, but I didn't want to wait a week to use my fan. So, I took my deutsche connector pin that the dealer crimped on for me that was put in the #3 spot (switched power from nacelle) and moved it to the #1 spot (Ign on always on). Fired up the fan and it worked! Now I just have to use the switch on the fan until I get my Acc circuit fixed. Got a chance to use the fan this morning on the way to work. About a 14 mile commute, with about 6 on the freeway. As I pulled onto my offramp exit, I flipped the switch on the fan. At that point my CHT measured by my Power Vision was 250. Usually the temp would climb to the point I would park in that garage to about 270, slow city traffic. Well, the temp started falling, and by the time I parked and shut down, temp was down to 238. I am very pleased. Just in time for our 90 deg. weekend. Will come back with more updates once I get the ACC switch fixed. Thanks Jason, great product so far.

TedMan

Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

When you pull in clutch you lose gear indication. You can read all 6 gears with power vision and harley has a all gear indicator that mounts on the handle bar so the signal is there. I am not sure gear control is the best option shifting and running through the gears spiritedly once and a while. I tested yesterday and you can get cooling at 60 mph. just like Jason said and with cams many can run that in 6th. Anybody who has tried to do process control knows this has the potential to be really annoying if the fans get caught up in a off, on, off, on situation 10 times in 10 seconds. This can get very complex or very simple really only need on at x temp off, on at x speed, temp with a delay so they dont get in a quick off, on state.

Originally Posted by iclick
I was wondering that myself, and the ECM does monitor speed and both ET (engine temp) and IAT (intake air temp). The HD parade fan uses a thermostat that mounts on the inside of the stock AC backplate but they don't say what to do if you're like 99% of us who use a Stage 1 AC. It's obviously reading IAT, which wouldn't be very high and I'm wondering how that would relate to the engine's actual temperature. Since they've taken the route of adding a separate t'stat I assume there is no way to tie-in a fan switch to the ECM's temperature parameters, or at least for it to kick on and off as they require. I would think we could adapt that thermostat to the Ward fans, but it's just a guess how it is configured and the manual doesn't explain.

I usually shift into 6th gear at around 60mph and 6th has an indicator light on the dash (6-speeds only, of course). I wonder if you could rig a relay to cut on when the indicator light is off. Thus when in 1st thru 5th gears the fans would be on. Just thinking out loud without much real thought going on in my head, but it sounds reasonable on the surface.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

TXSailor I'm not sure we have many (if any) "revelations" to be had at this point.

It just takes time to get er done.........

Just what Jason was hoping would not happen the forum getting all jack legged on the automation of said fans. LOL TXSailor dont pay us much attention.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't have the Power Vision so I cannot read my head temp. But I can tell you that my oil temp always ran upwards of 240 - 250F creeping up my dirt road or when I hit the stop and go traffic in the little town of Stowe. This morning was my first ride with the fans installed and I was in terrible traffic and could only inch along due to the tourist traffic and general commuters. With the fans running my oil temps never exceeded 215F. That is an incredible difference. Oh and I do not run any kind of oil cooler! I'm very very happy with this result. Also had the bike inspected this morning and the interest the fans generated was also incredible! People were in Awe! Thanks Again Jason.

Ok, So this evening after the day got much warmer 85F and I had come off an hours interstate ride, then 55 MPH for 32 miles on RT 15 and finally on to the 6 miles of uphill gravel road traveling in mostly 1st gear to my house my oil temp ended up being 225F when I pulled into the garage. Again a far cry from the 240-250F I usually see on this run and on much cooler days than today. I still think that I am going to purchase and run an oil cooler as well....Any further help in reducing temps is a good thing! The fans however have sure given me reduced temperatures and peace of mind. I'm also not sure just how accurate the Harley digital gauge is....But in any event I'm sure its good enough to read a drop in temperature...which it did. Also, as the crowd gathered at the local dealer to look at what was hanging off the side of my bike, I did manage to get into a debate with a local engine builder...Kind of a Know it All guy, but admittedly a good engine builder, who challenged the reduction in oil temps. He gave every conceivable reason why it cannot work to reduce oil temps. Fact is it does because I witnessed it! He asked me to prove it by bringing my bike to his shop to run on his Dyno and look at the temps. I don't run my bike on Dynos, but he insisted that he would only run through the gears and won't be beating on the bike. With fans off and then with fans on. I'm still not keen on running my bike on a dyno....But I'm thinking about it?

Last edited by Rickr01; 06-15-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again