Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Short Fuze
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Fabrik8r. If you need a guinea pig in Texas, I'd be more than happy to help test for you.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:12 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow fabrik8r, you do go above and beyond. I will be looking forward to this product.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I think a nice neat weld would not be a deal breaker for start up costs and time. Later when rolling could offer the machine piece as a option or if design was such that the billet machine piece could be added on to existing units sold already.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:50 PM
sprinkman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great looking product put me on the list. Also I know a fellow biker that powder coats if that is any help! sprinkman

Old 12-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be down for one, PC black. agreed above with a clean weld, billet would be better but for cost and speed to market is important. I have the 120r and heat is always a concern as I get caught in a lot of stop and go traffic, hate to see the temps climb when stopped. Got a oil bud for when I am moving but pass 260 often when caught in traffic.
This is a great idea, would be glad to bolt it to my bike!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:30 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,384 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Looks interesting. I will give you that.
I had the lenale fan same one in fact on my last RG and current RGU. fan has been on the bikes about 75,000 still works well.
Your right air flow is only going to do so much it has a limit.
As for someone say fuel will cool it 25 degrees Not buying that been doing this to long.
Name:  fan1.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  94.6 KB

Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
The black ones look great. As for welded vs. machined, what do you mean by welded on? On what?
Right now the front and rear fan housings are seperate sections with a short piece of tubing extending out the side, the center mount section bolts to the horn mount and the two fan housing tubes set screw into it at the same angle as the cylinders. I could build these with one section of tubing bent to get the angle with a mounting tab welded at the bend.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by streetg131
They look better than any other fan I've seen. Would you recommend these in conjunction with a fanned oil cooler setup?
Thats what I'm running right now, haven't been in any weather hotter than 80F yet but I'm sure its not a bad thing.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:21 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
First let me say that you are one of the forum members who's opinions I respect.
Thank you for the nice words.

I also played with oil cooler fans, and while my fans did not fail from the bike environment, i.e., heat, vibration, etc., they did fail from road debris. When I took them apart I found little gravel like pebbles had found their way into the fan motors and bound them up. When I disassembled the fans and removed the road debris they worked fine again. Protecting the fans with a screen would probably solve the problem I found, but I simply opted to remove them. I may play around with them again at some point but I'm not sure.
I didn't disassemble mine, but if I did it again I would probably use a 4" Spal fan and mount it behind the cooler as I've done with the smaller fans in the past. To do this I would have to jack-up the VR by making a bracket of some sort, similar to what Jagg has done with the same fan on their new cooler-fan combo kit. I have no plans or even any great desire to make another stab at an oil-cooler fan setup, though, and any use of a fan in the future will probably be something like what is being discussed here.

Now as for cylinder head (or engine cooling) fans, whether the LeNale, fabrik8r's design, or any other, they are definitely a worthwhile pursuit. I will never remove the engine cooling fan from my bike, and if and when it ever fails, I will replace it immediately. From my experience and testing, there is no better bang-for-the-buck cooling methodology available. While oil coolers, and oil cooler fans do have their place, the engine cooling fans attack the heat at its source and minimizing that heat heat also has a relative effect on oil temperatures. If I were buying a new bike today, an engine cooling fan would be one of my first mods.
I agree and wish I could figure-out some way to fit one without removing my air horns, which are an important part of my survival strategy on the road. While discussing this with a friend yesterday at the HD shop, an idea was presented that I think might have some potential. This friend suggested mounting the fan remotely and adding some tubing of some sort to channel the air to the engine. I immediately started thinking about locations for mounting the fan, like behind the right side-cover, and ways to form a cowling and duct/tubing setup going to the front and rear heads. This might work although I haven't given the idea a lot of thought yet, especially the geography in an environment so lacking in space.

Last edited by iclick; 12-11-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HighLiner
Wow fabrik8r, you do go above and beyond. I will be looking forward to this product.
I must say that he's one of our ace problem-solving minds here and I always look forward to his suggestions. This thread is no exception, and is a subject that I've been interested in for some time.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again