Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I'm using mine with the different shaped Bar and Shield Harley horn cover and it works fine with no modifiication other than having to cut the bottom screw down by 1/8"

I have a question for anybody that wouldn't mind looking at their stock horn installation and answering it though? Which way is the back side, closed end of the clip that holds the horn wire oriented? Towards the front cylinder or rear? When I put mine back together, I oriented it so that the closed end of the clip faces the front cylinder which allowed me to do a good job of hiding the Fans wiring connectors. However, the horn wire and clip seems to be too close to the cylinder head. Don't want to be melting any wiring. Its about 1/4" away. I cannot remember what the clips stock orientation was, only that the clip was on the top mount bolt. Appreciate anybody that would let me know how their stock clip is oriented. Thanks, Rick
The pic on the website "install" page shows the original orientation

Old 06-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Thanks,

I'll take a peek! Rick

Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
From the factory, the clip is towards the front cylinder with the opening facing the rear cylinder.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
From the factory, the clip is towards the front cylinder with the opening facing the rear cylinder.
Thanks, How close is your horn wiring from the front head with this orientation?

Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Chris in Utah
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some photos of my install with the Rivco horns. I don't have step by step, just the completed. I'm planning on covering the nuts with probably a piece of stainless braided hose. (I hope the photos work!)

Built the best engine cooling system...again-image-3.jpg

Built the best engine cooling system...again-image-1.jpg

Built the best engine cooling system...again-image-4.jpg

Built the best engine cooling system...again-image-2.jpg

Built the best engine cooling system...again-image.jpg

Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Good thinking! I hope you are not affended easily if someone offers you a suggestion? The icing on the cake on your very creative install would be to replace that series of nuts that you are using as a spacer with a polished piece of thick walled stainless steel pipe. Or, my Harley dealer has a bin full of chrome spacers of various lengths. I think most dealers do? That would be the icing on the cake I think! Good job!

Originally Posted by Chris in Utah
Here are some photos of my install with the Rivco horns. I don't have step by step, just the completed. I'm planning on covering the nuts with probably a piece of stainless braided hose. (I hope the photos work!)

Attachment 254724

Attachment 254722

Attachment 254725

Attachment 254723

Attachment 254727

Old 06-10-2012, 02:37 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

Menards has chrome spacers where the chrome bolts are. Don't know if all Menards carry them.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:19 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Good thinking! I hope you are not affended easily if someone offers you a suggestion? The icing on the cake on your very creative install would be to replace that series of nuts that you are using as a spacer with a polished piece of thick walled stainless steel pipe. Or, my Harley dealer has a bin full of chrome spacers of various lengths. I think most dealers do? That would be the icing on the cake I think! Good job!
A piece of black automotive hose of the right ID would work, too. Since the fans are black I would think something bright might look a bit out of place and call attention to itself.

Last edited by iclick; 06-10-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris in Utah
Thanks for the photos. This makes me wonder about the relocation efforts I made and reported on earlier (Post #301). Do you notice that the horns bounce around more being extended out further?

BTW, how did you get the stock bolt out? I made a feeble attempt recently and it wouldn't budge, but I didn't try very hard.

Last edited by iclick; 06-10-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Chris in Utah
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good suggestions on the spacers. That's why I've been planning on covering the nuts with the stainless braided hose. But I like the spacer idea. Thanks!

There is some bouncing, however. It is the most severe at idle. At higher RPMs, it's fairly smooth. I expected some movement, given the physics of extending the horns. I'll need some more ride time to see if this is really a good solution.

I'd love ideas to improve this mount, especially as regards bouncing/vibrations. Thanks all!

Jason, I love the product. Thanks for your hard work!

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again