Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

No its not like battery tender. Its a square plug. I may be able to take some pics tomorrow.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizcat68
I'm posting this before checking more into it, but hoping that I can get a answer. Is there a hook up under the seat that is already hooked up to the acc switch? I had just glanced under the seat yesterday when I had the seat off and all that I had seen was one free plug that was capped, but did not not look like any plugin that I have ever seen before. I am getting the fan tomorrow so I better figure out quick how to hook it up to the acc switch '11 Streetglide BTW.
I've never figured out what is supposed to connect to that odd connector, but it has four wires attached to it:

O -- 12V, switched by ignition and ACC switch
O/R -- 12V, switched by ignition
BK -- Ground
R/Y -- Brake light

What I did in connecting heated clothes to the original ACC switch was to buy a Y-adapter (HD #70264-94a) and cut the wires from one of the two end connectors. Splice a blade connector on both the O and BK wires to fit the fan connectors and that will power your fans when the ignition and ACC switch are both on. This will allow you to splice the ACC circuit to your fans without hacking on the original factory wiring. To save money on the adapter you could just strip the insulation off the two factory wires near the connector and solder/heatshrink the fan wires to them.

I have a spare ACC switch on my dash panel that I used for my failed attempts at adding oil-cooler fans, and will use it for the engine fans. It is an add-on (jury rig) and not part of the factory wiring harness.

Last edited by iclick; 05-28-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Grizcat68
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is exactly what I was looking for! Love this site! You even saved me the trouble of figuring out the wires, Thank you

Originally Posted by iclick
I've never figured out what is supposed to connect to that odd connector, but it has four wires attached to it:

O -- 12V, switched by ignition and ACC switch
O/R -- 12V, switched by ignition
BK -- Ground
R/Y -- Brake light

What I did in connecting heated clothes to the original ACC switch was to buy a Y-adapter (HD #70264-94a) and cut the wires from one of the two end connectors. Splice a blade connector on both the O and BK wires to fit the fan connectors and that will power your fans when the ignition and ACC switch are both on. This will allow you to splice the ACC circuit to your fans without hacking on the original factory wiring. To save money on the adapter you could just strip the insulation off the two factory wires near the connector and solder/heatshrink the fan wires to them.

I have a spare ACC switch on my dash panel that I used for my failed attempts at adding oil-cooler fans, and will use it for the engine fans. It is an add-on (jury rig) and not part of the factory wiring harness.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by indigofarm
Hi Jason et al:

installed the fan today on my bike. I had to modify the screw and rubber bolster that connects to the fan. Specifically I had cut of the shaft and replace with a 3 inch 3/8 version. I hack-sawed the shaft and then using a drill press, reamed out a hole in the rubber bolster. I then used a 3 inch version and put a bolt on the end closest to the cylinder and used a few bolts and washers to create enough space between the horn, the fan and chrome dome horn cover.

Hopefully the pictures makes sense, if not let me know.

Looks pretty damn good to me, if it works thats whats important, nice job!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:13 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned

Originally Posted by Needle750
Hey Bra, I'm just down the hill from Schofield. Sorry I can't figure out this site, or I don't have access to the PM feature. I still would like a fan and if you can get a PM to me, we can do this deal - Mahalo!
I can't PM you either, use the contact form on my website, in the meantime I put you on the list #102.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
For my bike (11 flhrc) I ran the wires through a hole in the frame and then along the bottom of the frame under the gas tank...looks real clean...I used 6 black tie wraps about 6 inches long...the length of the wires was just about perfect and the fuse is under the seat, which works out good....
Suggested or different ways of wiring the fans which might be helpful to others would be great if s
some of you guys would post up some pics or instructions on how you did it? A thought for others.....

Last edited by Rickr01; 06-04-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Its suggested or different ways of wiring the fans which might be helpful to others. Would be great if ssome of you guys would post up some pics or instructions on how you did it? A thought for others.....
If you want to wire it using the switch on the unit, just find any 12V source that's hot when the ignition switch is on (or on Acc.) and splice the hot wire of the fan kit to it. Usually any wire that is orange or red will qualify, but you should test first with a voltmeter. Another option is to just connect to the + side of the battery, but if you do that the fan will run even when the bike is not running. That's only bad if you forget to turn it off, as it will drain the battery. The ground wire can go anywhere on the frame or on the negative side of the battery.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm going to wire mine using a second currently unused ACC switch I have on my dash panel, as the original is dedicated to heated clothes. It will be a simple process since everything is already in place, except I'll have to match the blade connectors to Jason's setup.

To Jason: You might want to consider a direct-wiring option using a small harness with blade connectors on one end to connect to the fan wiring and a match for the bike's ACC connector on the other. The HD Y-adapter I mentioned the other day would be an idea, as then the new fan owner could just plug-and-play while still having another ACC connector to use for something else.

Last edited by iclick; 05-29-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
I can't PM you either, use the contact form on my website, in the meantime I put you on the list #102.
I PM'd you the other day and didn't get a reply, but the message seemed to go through.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Put me on the list

Please put me in the list for one for my 07 ultra. And.... If you design these for the sporty's, I'll take hundreds!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned

Originally Posted by scottdoege
Please put me in the list for one for my 07 ultra. And.... If you design these for the sporty's, I'll take hundreds!!!
I got you at #104. For the sportys I think all you need is the bridge bracket between the heads that hold the horn mount, then it should bolt right up, would have to verify fitment though.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again