Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nuttbaggerr
I have moco's finned bridge bolt covers on my '15 RGS. Will the fans work with it as well or do I need to remove these bridges? Thanks.
You can't really see them for the most part anyways especially after you install the fans. I wouldn't want anything on one of these motors that blocks cooling, I'd ditch them (JMHO).

Rick

Old 05-11-2015, 10:07 PM
nirschl
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
The covers will most likely reduce the cooling effect since they block the port that runs through the head and about 1/3 of the fan effort goes through the port. I bought a set of covers just for this purpose, but I just haven't had the chance yet to conduct the test. Some customers use the covers anyway and are still happy with the fans.

I'd be real interested in those tests, as I just ordered these(below) for my new Limited. I've already got the fans.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/8/1/3...1321101_tp.jpg

Absolutely love my fans!

Cheers

Old 05-11-2015, 10:26 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by nirschl
I'd be real interested in those tests, as I just ordered these(below) for my new Limited. I've already got the fans.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/8/1/3...1321101_tp.jpg

Absolutely love my fans!

Cheers
There is no test. Don't waste your time. They will block air flow and impede cooling. Back in trade school they taught us that 1/8-1/4" (I forget its been 35 years) of dirt on an engine is the equevilent of 6" of cast metal in relation to cooling affect.
With an air cooled motor especially in an area around the plug, cooling efficiency is a premium. As someone else said you don't even see that area, besides to me it makes it look like a Victory. Now if that's not enough to sway you.....

Old 05-12-2015, 04:20 PM
BigTwins
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The other thing about bolt covers is that I have never taken one off that didn't have corrosion under it. Every used bike I've ever bought that had them, I take them off and the bolts underneath are always rusted....Just sayin....

Old 05-17-2015, 07:46 AM
daytona17
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FCS on HD Rocker FXCW'09

Dear friends;
Any body have experiance instal Jason's FCS fans on HD Rocker FXCW or Breakout? Highly appreciate for any advice...
Have a nice weekend...
Teo

Old 05-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTwins
The other thing about bolt covers is that I have never taken one off that didn't have corrosion under it. Every used bike I've ever bought that had them, I take them off and the bolts underneath are always rusted....Just sayin....
Yep, when I rebuilt my friends motor I told him I will not put them back on. They serve no purpose other than to hinder cooling.

Rick

Old 05-17-2015, 08:59 AM
jbrelr21
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced 6r sparkplugs with vrod 10r's on my 110 cu in cvo made a noticeable difference in engine heat.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the fans installed and have some questions.

Is it common for it to come on while riding?

How long does it stay running after shut down?

Is there risk of running the battery down when parked?

Thanks!

Mark

Old 05-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 71 Posts

Asked the same question to Jason:

Jason,
I installed the fans today (thermal switch last night) and all works well. I haven't taken it out yet but I did warm it up and checked for vibration, contact and all is good. When I turned the bike off the fans stayed on for a long time so I pulled out my digital temp gun and checked the sensor and it didn't shut off until the sensor was 106 deg. Fans ran for over 5 min and my concern is the battery going flat.

Reply:
5 min is not a problem, the hotter the outside air temp the longer it will run, at 105 in Phoenix mine will run for just over 30 min. and still not a problem; the fans draw 2.2 amps, they would have to run several hours before your battery wouldn't start the bike, that is assuming a generally healthy battery and charging system.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 PM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
I got the fans installed and have some questions.

Is it common for it to come on while riding?

How long does it stay running after shut down?

Is there risk of running the battery down when parked?

Thanks!

Mark
I answered those same questions a dozen times this weekend, armed with the information I had learned in my research before buying the fans. Everyone asks me the same questions, especially when they hear the fans running and the engine is off. They all say that it will fail to start, but as Jason says they draw very little and could run for quite a long time before the battery would fail to start the bike.

I am actually considering making up a sign to put on the fans when I walk away from the bike that says, yes, I know the fans are running, they are thermostatically controlled and will shut off once the engine is cooled sufficiently. They do not draw enough to drain the battery. For more information see Wardspartswerks.com.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again