Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Joe Boy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several replies with Jason ... over the past couple of weeks. Always responded.
Deposit on Thursday .... final payment on Friday ....
In my mailbox Monday morning in East Texas .... craftsmanship looks very good.
Will install in a couple of days ....
My CVO 09 RoadGlide will lay the back cylinder down on the 3rd or 4th stoplight in the city.... if it fails to drop a cylinder after installed ... I am calling my brother .... he will order 1 for his 11 Ultra 103 ...
Long long time reader .... Just joined ... 1st post .... thanks

Last edited by Joe Boy; 06-03-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It won't. Those fans will keep you out of EITMS mode. I normally run my idle AFR at 13.7 to keep things cool at idle and with Jason's fans cycling on and off at idle I decided to throw the bike in closed loop just to see how they would perform and the bike seems to idle between 240 and 260 ET in closed loop. Well below the trigger temperature of 320.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:15 PM
madtownrydr
Novice

Just got Jasons's fans installed on my 99 EG 117 with carb. I only had to bend the attachment for the choke cable to about a 45 degree angle. I installed the snap switch right under the first fin in the location Jason recommended and used silicon sparingly, only on the bottom on the switch. I wired the thermo switch in the ground circuit. The 90C switch turned the fans on at about 205-210 measured at front exhaust head bolt. The fans work fantastic and kept the rear cht from going over 280 at idle. Returning from a 10 mi ride, the rear cht at exhaust bolt was 258-260.....this temp was 338 on my last return without the fans and at lower ambient temp of 70....today was 80. I am really pleased with how well they work. My heads have ACR's which block the flow somewhat and not much air can be felt on the right side at idle. The ACR's did not seem to be a problem in keeping the fans from cooling the heads. The only problem was that that thermo switch would not turn the fans off unless the CHT got down to about 130 and then the manual switch had to be cycled to keep the fans turned off. I left the fans running last nite just to see just how far the temp has to drop for the switch to work but I cycled the manual switch at 100 degrees just to turn the fans off. I am hoping the thermo snap switch will work on it's own after a few more cycles. Other than that, the fans work GREAT. The fans can only be heard with motor turned off. I included pics showing the install.
Did I mention how well I like these fans? I was concerned that my new 117 build was going to produce too much CHT using the HD 110 heads which had heat problems to the point that the oem valve seals on the rear exhaust valve melted....which mine was when I checked. After seeing how much cooling the fans do, I am no longer concerned with the rear CHT......thanks again, Jason.

Attached Thumbnails Built the best engine cooling system...again-dscn3205.jpg   Built the best engine cooling system...again-dscn3206.jpg   Built the best engine cooling system...again-dscn3208.jpg  

Last edited by madtownrydr; 06-07-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: forgot items
Old 06-07-2014, 03:12 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by madtownrydr
Just got Jasons's fans installed on my 99 EG 117 with carb. I only had to bend the attachment for the choke cable to about a 45 degree angle. I installed the snap switch right under the first fin in the location Jason recommended and used silicon sparingly, only on the bottom on the switch. I wired the thermo switch in the ground circuit. The 90C switch turned the fans on at about 205-210 measured at front exhaust head bolt. The fans work fantastic and kept the rear cht from going over 280 at idle. Returning from a 10 mi ride, the rear cht at exhaust bolt was 258-260.....this temp was 338 on my last return without the fans and at lower ambient temp of 70....today was 80. I am really pleased with how well they work. My heads have ACR's which block the flow somewhat and not much air can be felt on the right side at idle. The ACR's did not seem to be a problem in keeping the fans from cooling the heads. The only problem was that that thermo switch would not turn the fans off unless the CHT got down to about 130 and then the manual switch had to be cycled to keep the fans turned off. I left the fans running last nite just to see just how far the temp has to drop for the switch to work but I cycled the manual switch at 100 degrees just to turn the fans off. I am hoping the thermo snap switch will work on it's own after a few more cycles. Other than that, the fans work GREAT. The fans can only be heard with motor turned off. I included pics showing the install.
Did I mention how well I like these fans? I was concerned that my new 117 build was going to produce too much CHT using the HD 110 heads which had heat problems to the point that the oem valve seals on the rear exhaust valve melted....which mine was when I checked. After seeing how much cooling the fans do, I am no longer concerned with the rear CHT......thanks again, Jason.
After shut down, the new snap switch will run longer than the original creep switch, but it only shuts off once, I have seen "off" a 130F on my bike on occasion as well. It will vary with conditions, I see "off" anywhere from 160-130. My quoted temps are read by the OEM ET sensor, reading the exhaust bolt temperature with a laser gun will be out of alignment with ET reading. If the fans run 5-7 minutes after shutdown the thermal switch is functioning properly. Nice mount solution for the choke **** interference.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:49 PM
madtownrydr
Novice

Thanks, Jason. It was a quick mod.....big vice and big hammer. It looks tight but there is plenty of room for everything.
I just got thru letting the bike idle until the switch tripped, then shut bike off. It ran for 35 min until temp got down to 96(ir themo gun) on top and bottom fin over the switch. It finally shut off by itself. I tested it previously and when the temp got below 150 on the same fins, the manual switch could be turned off then back on and the fans stayed off. Somehow it seems like the load going thru the switch is keeping it from snapping back open. Just interrupting the currant flow lets it snap open. If I cycle the manual switch before it reaches 150, the fans turn back on. There is no silicon on the sides or top of the switch. The back of the switch is even with the edge of the fin.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:23 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by madtownrydr
Thanks, Jason. It was a quick mod.....big vice and big hammer. It looks tight but there is plenty of room for everything.
I just got thru letting the bike idle until the switch tripped, then shut bike off. It ran for 35 min until temp got down to 96(ir themo gun) on top and bottom fin over the switch. It finally shut off by itself. I tested it previously and when the temp got below 150 on the same fins, the manual switch could be turned off then back on and the fans stayed off. Somehow it seems like the load going thru the switch is keeping it from snapping back open. Just interrupting the currant flow lets it snap open. If I cycle the manual switch before it reaches 150, the fans turn back on. There is no silicon on the sides or top of the switch. The back of the switch is even with the edge of the fin.
Well in that case it sounds like you have a snap switch that is not functioning properly. Somebody had to be first, sorry it was you. I'll send you a new switch on Monday.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 PM
madtownrydr
Novice

Now THAT is customer service!!!
I am going to continue to monitor the switch and let you know if it has changed. If I can't figure it out I'll send it back so you can test it.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Mac daddy 103
Road Master
Received 211 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm kinda having the same issue with the fans not shutting off after i shut the ignition to off. I waited like 7 min then I manually shut them down with the bat switch. I will try it again today and give it more time to see when if they shut down, other than that these fan are doing their job and good quality fans!!! Love them!!!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:50 AM
FLTpilot
Advanced

I did a run a few weeks ago with TTS monitoring temps. I left the fans off on my way through the bridge tunnel to my destination. 80* temps and 6 mile backup at the tunnel was brutal without the fans ( like we used to ride!) so I took a delay detour to get closer to the last entrance to the tunnel which helped my leg, crainel cavity, and mental state.
FINALLY reached my destination and dropped off my package ....

Return trip, fans on, decided to avoid the 5 mile backup at that tunnel and took the Monitor/Merrimack tunnel.... Backed up there too! Banner day.... But fans on! I felt better that the fans were on this time.... No hopping exits on this crossing. After backup I hooked up with another biker and made the 80mph plus run up the highway toward home.
I'll dig up my data and post this rather non-scientific exercise but this post is more about the creep switch and Jason. I wanted to gather more data to see if there was a consistent trend but the following kept that from happening....
After the above I began to notice erratic behavior from the creepy switch :-/. It operated as Jason published before my ride and then after it would cycle on/off at odd cool down timing, stay on forever in cool down, or cycle off when the manual switch was cycled if temps were low enough. I figured I fried the switch with my fans off test and emailed Jason. He responded quickly and said it was nothing I did and some switches were not working with some applications. He promptly sent the new snap switch and between son graduating college and my impromptu stay in the hospital and now restriction from lifting, riding, etc I have not been able to continue gathering data.
I did feel well enough to install the new snap switch the other day and am looking forward to checking this setup out.
So all this posting is to say "way to go" for Jason's customer service and the quality of his product. I didn't get a chance to thank Jason for his fast service sending the replacement switch so I do it here. The fans build and look are top notch! Switch R&D seems to be a thorn in his side at this point but it will work itself out as Jason seems committed to his product.
Don't have the data in front of me from that temp run I did but when I get to a computer I will edit this post so you might see what I experienced.

Attached Thumbnails Built the best engine cooling system...again-image.jpg  
Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 AM
FLTpilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLTpilot
I did a run a few weeks ago with TTS monitoring temps. I left the fans off on my way through the bridge tunnel to my destination. 80* temps and 6 mile backup at the tunnel was brutal without the fans ( like we used to ride!) so I took a delay detour to get closer to the last entrance to the tunnel which helped my leg, crainel cavity, and mental state.
FINALLY reached my destination and dropped off my package ....

Return trip, fans on, decided to avoid the 5 mile backup at that tunnel and took the Monitor/Merrimack tunnel.... Backed up there too! Banner day.... But fans on! I felt better that the fans were on this time.... No hopping exits on this crossing. After backup I hooked up with another biker and made the 80mph plus run up the highway toward home.
I'll dig up my data and post this rather non-scientific exercise but this post is more about the creep switch and Jason. I wanted to gather more data to see if there was a consistent trend but the following kept that from happening....
After the above I began to notice erratic behavior from the creepy switch :-/. It operated as Jason published before my ride and then after it would cycle on/off at odd cool down timing, stay on forever in cool down, or cycle off when the manual switch was cycled if temps were low enough. I figured I fried the switch with my fans off test and emailed Jason. He responded quickly and said it was nothing I did and some switches were not working with some applications. He promptly sent the new snap switch
Rather than editing the above post I list my fans off/fans on results here...

For those unfamiliar with TTS Mastertune the graph in the lower left represent the monitored data I have chosen from the lower right box. All the data available to graph is in the upper left and can be mapped to the timeline display in the lower left. I figured engine speed, vehicle speed, head temp, engine temp. intake temp and barometric pressure would be good to map so thats what I choose.
The three pics are with no fans and the black vertical line through the timeline is the highest head temps I saw during this recording. The no fans records show Head temps of 372*, 374*, and 339*. The 339 is at cruise up the highway at highway speeds. The 372 and 374 temps were seen in stop and go backed up traffic. The Engine temps for no fans ran at 288*, 298* and 253*.

Attached Thumbnails Built the best engine cooling system...again-002-nofans-oceanfront-to-i64-tfk-jam-to-detour-to-shore-dr.jpg   Built the best engine cooling system...again-003-nofans-shore-dr-to-i64-to-15th-view-to-tunnel-backup.jpg   Built the best engine cooling system...again-004-nofans-i64-thru-tunnel-to-mercury-blvd-to-jj.jpg  

Last edited by FLTpilot; 06-08-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again