Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pooh AKA Bear
Deposit sent! I have spent my entire Sunday reading all 140 pages of post! I've been running with a 120r for 2 years. Love it! It wants to run but lumping along in traffic, stop and go, hot Texas heat she would always start shutting down the rear. OT would be around 280. Installed a Thundermax one month ago thinking this would solve my heat issues. No deal....my bike was running great before the Thundermax, now it is even better. Quicker throttle response, no decel popping, puts a smile on my face with every throttle twist! BUT the heat is worse....in slow traffic in the daytime heat my engine light will start flashing. OT will be 310 -315. Even in slow traffic in the evenings this occurs. Sent the data to Thundermax, was told they don't believe that shutting down the rear cylinder is good temp management. So they disable it in their tuners. He couldn't really offer any advice other than to continue to ride it and it should get better. NOT....I hate sitting in traffic stopped by construction, and cooking my engine and leg. Looking for the nearest exit to get over and shut her down, yesterday was the last straw. I researched all night long for all solutions, and I believe I have made the best decision based on Jason's hard work, determination and integrity! Can't wait to get my unit and report back!
Rest assured you'll find the FCS cooling system makes a significant difference. My bike's Oil Temp now never goes over about 235* at most even in 90's temps climbing the 2 mile up-hill dirt road to my house (can't go very fast, 10-15 mph or so) which always raised the OT up a bit before I got to the house. I'm seeing 20-40* decrease in OT's, especially at low speeds of course. Typically 210-220* is what I'm seeing on 90's days in normal riding conditions. In cooler temps more like 200-210*.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a Triglide which runs significantly hotter than the average two wheeler. OT up around 270-300 deg not uncommon. I put on the FCS and OT stayed below 260 degrees even on the hottest days. Added a Jagg w/ fan assist and now combined with FCS, I don't see over 240 with a stock stage 1 map loaded. The engine is very happy now. With TTS loaded it runs no hotter than 230 degrees and that's only on days over 90 degrees. OBTW it was 109 for three days straight. 100 feels like a cold spell!

Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheBobs
I have a Triglide which runs significantly hotter than the average two wheeler. OT up around 270-300 deg not uncommon. I put on the FCS and OT stayed below 260 degrees even on the hottest days. Added a Jagg w/ fan assist and now combined with FCS, I don't see over 240 with a stock stage 1 map loaded. The engine is very happy now. With TTS loaded it runs no hotter than 230 degrees and that's only on days over 90 degrees. OBTW it was 109 for three days straight. 100 feels like a cold spell!
Wow that's some spectacular results! Those are some extreme temps you had going on there, yikes I'd be having a heart-attack nearing 300* routinely like that.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't taken any readings yet but CHT must be significantly lower since the BS drop-cylinder Harley marketing gimmick doesn't kick in any more. That has to mean lower OT as well.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

A year ago I got stuck in a bad traffic jam on I-70W in Denver at the I-25 junction. OT was over 300 deg the whole time. Went even higher on the climb toward the Eisenhower tunnel. I think I finally pulled it over when traffic would let me at Chief Joseph exit. OT was about 330 deg and it started running bad. When I got back to California, my FCS was waiting for me. Thank God!

Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I am still extremely happy with mine.

Last edited by wachuko; 07-04-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
I haven't taken any readings yet but CHT must be significantly lower since the BS drop-cylinder Harley marketing gimmick doesn't kick in any more. That has to mean lower OT as well.
Yes, no way around it, the hotter the motor gets the oil temp's gotta climb right along with it. The oil actually does a surprising amount of the cooling in these motors (perhaps 40% or so?) - as it carries away the heat from the engine parts, so when the parts are HOT, the oil will go right with it.

That's why true cooling has to be part of a package of things: FCS fans plus an Oil Cooler along with Fuel management to avoid running too lean.

I monitored my "cooling quest" along each stage of my transition from a bone-stock 96" motor to what I have now (see signature below for details). By far the most significant factor in all these components of the "cooling package" has been the FCS fans. The Oil Cooler is of course the second most important and significant part of the package. I didn't see a very noticeable decrease in oil temps with just the Stage I, but I do know it's needed as these bikes run far too lean from the factory. Once I went to the oil cooler I did definitely see a decrease (as long as I was moving), but now with the final piece of the puzzle (the FCS fans) it's absolutely under control and heat is a thing of the past.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:55 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy cow, this thread is like the energizer bunny. Nice clean looking sled wachuko. I just finished up a batch of 60 and they are pretty much sold, gettin' harder to keep up with demand. Just got back from the local fireworks show, all I can say is unremarkable, I've put on better shows myself off the back of a 4 wheeler. I think a true sign of economic recovery is when the fireworks are good, wherever you are. Hope everyone had a great 4th, don't forget why we celebrate, independence and freedom, as much as the rest of the world hates us, they still envy us. We are the shiznit.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBobs
I agree as my setup is similar to yours with the exception of mine being a Stage II. Just got my invoice from Jason this morning, so hope to get them on the bike pretty soon. I'm not seeing over 230 now with the Jagg 10 row with the fan assist and the TTS tune. These fans can only be added insurance and are a good bang for the buck.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:47 AM
puttin' around
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously the day before leaving on our trip to Eureka Springs Arkansas I noticed a small box on my front porch and thought, I just paid the balance for my fans, there's no way they're here already!

Well they were and after about 20 minutes, installed and ready to go. I got all black and the finish is outstanding, they look like they belong.

The next morning loading the bike up with our stuff I noticed a nail in my rear tire, only 3000 miles on it! I called the local dealer and they said bring it in and we'll work you in as quickly as we can. Since I had just installed the fans the day before I did not get to ride and while heading to the dealer my power vision said my FHT was 248, well I turned the fans on and after being stuck in some traffic when I pulled up at the dealership it now said 228, I could not believe it! While waiting on my bike I told a fellow rider about the fans and my short but impressive experience with them and when I was getting ready to leave he said he would like to see how they looked, he was also impressed. I may have made a sale and didn't know it.

Now the test, while in Arkansas it turned nice and hot, 94 to 96 degrees. We were riding around the town and I had the fans running and my power vision showed a max FHT of 232 no matter what kind of traffic I was in!! I am thoroughly happy with the fans and would recommend them to anyone.

Very nicely done Jason, thank you!

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again