Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Jason,

I received mine today and installed it. No problem at all. I fired it up and ran it a few minutes til the fans kicked on, but haven't taken a ride yet. Back to work tomorrow so the next several days I'll be on the bike and it'll get tested.

The system is very nicely designed and looks good on the bike. Blends in like it belongs there.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 PM
gearhead1937
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Read quite a few pages to this thread (30 plus) Skipped around a bit... Saw a post that maybe something would be made for the sportsters. Any luck yet??

Last edited by gearhead1937; 06-19-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This system will work on a sportster, it just needs slight modification to the head bridge bracket; the secondary bracket in the horn kit just needs to be inverted. I bought the HD horn kit for the sporty and half mocked it up in the parking lot on a guys bike I used to work with, but he never brought it to the house to actually bolt up the fans. Now I don't have access to a sportster or know anybody with one to work on a mount solution. The system will work on any vintage HD V twitn with a little bracketry fabrication, I've put 'em on Evos and a Shovel, come to think of it I sold a set for a sporty but haven't heard back, I'll try to contact the guy and see how it worked out.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the FCS was my last mod... it really should have been the first.
There are no doubts in my mind that when I'll have another Harley, the FCS will be the first item I'll put on it.

For the ones asking about the air blowing on the right leg: yes it is hot. yes it bothers me, so I need to put my foot on the peg and my leg at an angle between the two cylinders or completely to the rear or with my foot on top of the crash bar while I balance the bike with the left leg.
When I look down to the right while stopped at the traffic light I see the hot air distorting the image on the tarmac below the right side of the bike. Since the FCS doesn't create hot air, that is a proof that the FCS is removing that heat out of the engine. If the FCS wasn't there, there would be much more heat and coming straight up.

Really it's a no brainer. it should have been standard equipment, like many already said.

And really the peace of mind I have while I happen to be sitting on traffic or at the long traffic light where i live, knowing that the air cooled engine of my bike is being cooled by air even when not moving, it's priceless.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

It's been a week now and about 600 miles. The FCS system works great, coming on and off as it needs to. At shutdown it cycles on and off a couple times for a minute or two and that's it. Nice! This completes my "cooling package" on the bike. I spent about a year and a half gradually upgrading the bike to get to this point - kept it within budget that way. I started with going PCV from Jaimie, then V&H Powerduals, then SE Ventilator, then SE mufflers, followed by a Jagg 10-row oil cooler and finally Jason's FCS fans.

It's a shame these damned TC motors run so hot, but the EPA bullcrap is a recipe for HEAT with the emission standards of today. Hence these measures when all combined bring down temps and help to prolong the life of the motor IMHO.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 PM
Smitty560
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! I just read all 140 pages of this thread and I must admit, I'm very impressed! What a great product I just watched transform over the last 140 posts! I will have to order one! Congratulations!

Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Jeff Tucker
Stage I

read up today going to order for sure Jason for my electraglide classic 2011 heat problems worry me on these bikes maybe now will be solved. running stock setup lean from factory love my Harley just worry about heat conditions.thanks

Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM
2JADED
Advanced

Put on the Wards FCS cooling fans and wow!! It's 116 degrees here in Vegas and just went for a 45 min ride and the CHT never went above 275...normally it would be well over 310 via the PV!!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

UPDATE:

I just spent all day cruising around Los Angeles on Friday. It was mid-90's temps and traffic at times was stop n crawl. My '09 RK never broke 238* on the oil temp gauge even crawling in bad traffic.

The recipe:
1) Jason's FCS cooling fans
2) Jagg 10-row Oil Cooler w/out Thermostat
3) PCV and MAP from Jaimie
4) Stage I set-up

The FCS fans make an amazing difference here, with the Oil Cooler being a close second. Fuel management (not running too lean) and Stage I are also something I'd strongly suggest. I made all these changes from a stock 96" bike over about a year and a half period to keep it all within my budget. Very happy with the final results.

In that heavy traffic the oil temp hovered at 235-238* - this is AT LEAST 30* cooler (in fact previously the stock bike would have hit 270-280* in a prolonged situation like this) than it would have run without the FCS fans. When moving the Jagg Oil Cooler would have done just fine on it's own, but the problem comes when you're NOT moving, that's when things really heat up fast. The FCS fans make this a non-issue.

On the open road at 80 mph in 95* weather? It ran at 215-220* all day long. A long up-hill mountain grade thrown in? Make that 225-235*. When the bike was completely stock it would have been running at least 250-260* under those same conditions (75 mph on freeway on a 95* day).

Those who say "the bike can take the heat"... Yes it can, but YOU can't. "I'll just pull over and stop for awhile"... Well you'll be doing a helluva lot of pulling over and stopping (and getting no-where) if this is your method of dealing with it in punishing heat/stop n go traffic.

I do agree, a lot of this is more for rider comfort than anything else, but then again if you can't ride it without spending half your time stopped in the shade "cooling down", that sucks the big one. I ride every day, everywhere I go, heat or not. And this makes it far easier to enjoy it more comfortably. The heat radiating off that motor directly correlates to YOUR comfort and ability to ride (or take the truck with A/C) or not. I'd rather be riding...

Last edited by Arizona; 06-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain

Deposit sent! I have spent my entire Sunday reading all 140 pages of post! I've been running with a 120r for 2 years. Love it! It wants to run but lumping along in traffic, stop and go, hot Texas heat she would always start shutting down the rear. OT would be around 280. Installed a Thundermax one month ago thinking this would solve my heat issues. No deal....my bike was running great before the Thundermax, now it is even better. Quicker throttle response, no decel popping, puts a smile on my face with every throttle twist! BUT the heat is worse....in slow traffic in the daytime heat my engine light will start flashing. OT will be 310 -315. Even in slow traffic in the evenings this occurs. Sent the data to Thundermax, was told they don't believe that shutting down the rear cylinder is good temp management. So they disable it in their tuners. He couldn't really offer any advice other than to continue to ride it and it should get better. NOT....I hate sitting in traffic stopped by construction, and cooking my engine and leg. Looking for the nearest exit to get over and shut her down, yesterday was the last straw. I researched all night long for all solutions, and I believe I have made the best decision based on Jason's hard work, determination and integrity! Can't wait to get my unit and report back!

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again