Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM
CVN-65
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueglide88
Can anybody post some comments on the hot air that must blow on your right leg? Is it bothersome? I'm guessing this is sounding like a stupid question because the hot air has to go somewhere, I'm really just wondering how bad it gets when you are stuck in traffic or moving. I am very interested in this setup and ready to buy......just looking for some more feedback from riders who have it on their bikes.
I got caught in very slow traffic going up a mountain pass and the fans were working to remove the engine heat (Traffic was better that 40 minutes at 5 MPH). Did my right calf get hot - yes, but not as hot as my inner thighs and boys before the fans kicked on. Everything is a tradeoff. The fans really move a lot of air. The heat is noticeable but in my opinion not enough to remove the fans. Without the fans I am sure I would have been on the side of the road waiting for the engine to cool down.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blueglide88
Can anybody post some comments on the hot air that must blow on your right leg? Is it bothersome? I'm guessing this is sounding like a stupid question because the hot air has to go somewhere, I'm really just wondering how bad it gets when you are stuck in traffic or moving. I am very interested in this setup and ready to buy......just looking for some more feedback from riders who have it on their bikes.

the air coming off of the fans is quite warm, but not near as warm as the heat that comes off of the motor when you sitting still, also it is mostly blown away from the side of the bike...the fans really are a big improvement of just having the heat from ther engine boil your oysters (or if you are a she, boil your eggs.)

Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update, I've shimmed my fan as far out as I can get them. Now, even on the bad roads here in RI, I"m no longer hitting the engine. Thermal switch, one thing to look for is if the switch has moved at all. Mine was consistently coming on at 160 degrees (according to the ET on my powervision). The last day or so it wasn't coming on until 250 or so. I noticed this morning that the end of the thermostat had moved way out toward the edge of the engine fins. I'm sure when I push it back in all the way it will come on at a lower temperature again.

Last edited by jlacasci; 05-28-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:01 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlacasci
Update, I've shimmed my fan as far out as I can get them. Now, even on the bad roads here in RI, I"m no longer hitting the engine. Thermal switch, one thing to look for is if the switch has moved at all. Mine was consistently coming on at 160 degrees (according to the ET on my powervision). The last day or so it wasn't coming on until 250 or so. I noticed this morning that the end of the thermostat had moved way out toward the edge of the engine fins. I'm sure when I push it back in all the way it will come on at a lower temperature again.
Let me know if you have issues with that switch.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Yesterday a friend of mine called and asked if I would be up for a ride in the evening. I told him yes and decided it was about time to install my FCS system as the temps in the area yesterday were in the 102+ ranges. The installation was pretty straight forward and took about 45 minutes. We left on the ride at about 7:30 PM and the temperature had dropped all the way down to 97. While we were riding I was monitoring the front head temp on my Power Vision. It was staying in the low to mid 260's. When we got on the highway cruising at 75 - 80 mph the FHT climbed to 273. I switched the FCS off and the temps remained at that temperature until we moved back into city traffic when they started to climb to 279. I switched the FCS on and the FHT fell back into the 260 - 265 range within minutes. On the ride home I had unknowingly switched the FCS off when I actuated my compression releases. It was highway riding most of the way so I didn't realize this until I was back in city driving and noticed that the FHT was in the 270+ ranges. I switched the FCS on again about four miles from home and by the time I pulled in driveway the FHT was down to 255. At this time the ambient temperature was around 90. All in all I am really pleased with the way the FCS unit is cooling the heads and consequently helping to control oil temperatures which were in the 185 - 210 ranges during the ride.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

question. After hooking up the thermo switch, does that mean when turning the switch on that the fans wont come on when the engine temp is cold? Or should the switch work as an over ride? I just noticed this in my case.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
question. After hooking up the thermo switch, does that mean when turning the switch on that the fans wont come on when the engine temp is cold? Or should the switch work as an over ride? I just noticed this in my case.
With the thermo switch, you can turn on the fans full time. They will only come on when the temps reaches above 200 degrees or so. They will automatically go off when it cools down.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:45 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Udawg
With the thermo switch, you can turn on the fans full time. They will only come on when the temps reaches above 200 degrees or so. They will automatically go off when it cools down.
I think you meant that you CAN'T turn the fans on full time. The thermal switch goes in line so when it is open there is a break in the circuit.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I think you meant that you CAN'T turn the fans on full time. The thermal switch goes in line so when it is open there is a break in the circuit.
Thanks $tonecold. That was confusing. I meant you can turn the Fan Switch on full time and forget it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

That's what I was getting at. I'm taking it out for a test run before it gets dynoed. Well see how it works. I assume you need to leave the switch in the on position for auto on.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again