Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:01 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
What's seems to be the usable life span of the thermal switch ? I have one of Jason's first 40 or so fans and one of the first thermal switches when they came out. my thermal switch seems to be sporadic, no problem turning the fans on but it seems like now it takes a lot longer for the switch to turn the fans off and they cycle on and off much more frequently after shutdown.

Anyone else have this issue ? I'm wondering if I should purchase a new thermostat ?
Its true, it's not the perfect product that everyone lets it on to be, but its close. I am having some reports of issues with some of the thermal switches. I'm working with the manufacturer to resolve them. So far I only have results from one analysis, its possibly an issue related to 1/2 wave rectified DC current and the contacts. Most users are not experiencing any problems, but a few are. I apologize that you are experiencing trouble with your thermal switch, I will gladly send you a new switch, email me so I can get you a replacement in the mail tomorrow.

Even if every single one fails I'll resolve it and I'll replace them all, I won't leave anybody hanging. If a switch does fail it will likely fail in the closed "on" position, but the good news is you can unplug the switch and plug the harness back in direct and run it manually until it can be corrected.

Y'all have a good Memorial Day Weekend, have fun and be safe!
Jason

Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 PM
RIDERED67
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my fans! Coupled with my Thundermax auto tuner, ceramic true duals and an oil cooler this bike runs awesome. I own all kinds of Harleys; Flatheads, ironheads, shovels, evos and a boatload of twin cams. I have never cared for the performance, exhaust sound or engine noise of twin cams. There has even been several times that I swore I would never buy another TC. With this setup that im currently running I am completely happy with a TC for the first time.

Name:  20130524_204113_zpsb643ae8a.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  122.8 KB

Name:  20130524_204035_zpsf1ed7ccf.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  146.4 KB

Old 05-24-2013, 08:15 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
What's seems to be the usable life span of the thermal switch ? I have one of Jason's first 40 or so fans and one of the first thermal switches when they came out. my thermal switch seems to be sporadic, no problem turning the fans on but it seems like now it takes a lot longer for the switch to turn the fans off and they cycle on and off much more frequently after shutdown.

Anyone else have this issue ? I'm wondering if I should purchase a new thermostat ?
I forgot to answer your question;
5000 cycles at 8 amps, but the system draws actually 2.2-2.4 amps, it should be good for many years for most riders.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
Its true, it's not the perfect product that everyone lets it on to be, but its close. I am having some reports of issues with some of the thermal switches. I'm working with the manufacturer to resolve them. So far I only have results from one analysis, its possibly an issue related to 1/2 wave rectified DC current and the contacts. Most users are not experiencing any problems, but a few are. I apologize that you are experiencing trouble with your thermal switch, I will gladly send you a new switch, email me so I can get you a replacement in the mail tomorrow.

Even if every single one fails I'll resolve it and I'll replace them all, I won't leave anybody hanging. If a switch does fail it will likely fail in the closed "on" position, but the good news is you can unplug the switch and plug the harness back in direct and run it manually until it can be corrected.

Y'all have a good Memorial Day Weekend, have fun and be safe!
Jason
Thanks for the info Jason. I will shoot you an email. I don't mind at all buying another thermal switch. Even if I had to replace the switch every year, your fans are one of the best things I have ever bought for my bike. Between these fans and my Ricor Intiminators that you modded for free my 07 Road King is better than ever !

Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 PM
NPW
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the exact same problem with my t-stat switch. Started staying on longer and longer before shutting down. Jason sent me a new T-stat right away, no charge. So far, new switch has been fine. Even though he sent it no charge, I paid for it anyway. I think that if this switch thing becomes an issue, we should all help him out and pay for the new one if at all possible. Would hate to see something like this in any way screw up a really great product and his business. This guy is one of the few who take a great idea and provide us with a great product. He deserves our support.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned

Originally Posted by NPW
Had the exact same problem with my t-stat switch. Started staying on longer and longer before shutting down. Jason sent me a new T-stat right away, no charge. So far, new switch has been fine. Even though he sent it no charge, I paid for it anyway. I think that if this switch thing becomes an issue, we should all help him out and pay for the new one if at all possible. Would hate to see something like this in any way screw up a really great product and his business. This guy is one of the few who take a great idea and provide us with a great product. He deserves our support.
I do appreciate yours and everyone's support, but this is my problem to resolve, not the customer's. This is a business now and I have an obligation to provide quality products. I back everything I sell, nobody needs to pay for a legitimately failed switch, its in my best interest get the switch resolved. This is just a minor stumbling block that may take a while to figure it out. It obviously isn't a common problem or all of the switches would be exhibiting the same characteristics, mine still functions at the same temp and the vast majority of the ones in service now are operating correctly. I'm trying to gather up the bad ones from customers so I can send them in as a group for analysis at the MFRs lab and hopefully get a better picture of what is going on. I'll figure it out one way or another. If nothing else, there are other switch manufacturers, I went with this one because it is a US company, I'm going to give them a chance to help me fix it before I look elsewhere. It may be as simple as changing contact material. Thanks to all.
Jason

Old 05-25-2013, 07:14 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

Sorry Jason, I was going to send my failed switch back to you but I think it got thrown out. We have some work being done on the house and my garage is a disaster. I don't know where much of anything is right now. The replacement you sent works great. I have a 103 and my wife has an 88. I installed your fans on both bikes. After a ride when we shut the down at the same time, the fans will cycle off and on independently for a few minutes. Then they always reach a point after 2 or 3 minutes when both fans come on at the same time and shut down very close together. As I recall its usually the last cycle for her 88 and my 103 will have one short cycle after that. I just thought it was interesting. Has anyone noticed what happens after shut down on two identical engines?

Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by In2It
I disagree I have the chrome bridge set up on my Ultra and my bike since the install has had no problem cooling and keeping the bike cool.
And thats here in far west Texas, El Paso.
Its OK to disagree, but the fact is these chrome parts absolutely and totally block air flow through the most important part of the head area. That's a fact.

You should be able to look from the left-top side of your motor straight through to the pushrods on the right side. That's the air flow channel Jason describes on his website that is utilized by the fans to carry heat away from the motor.

If you don't believe me, then ask him. Sure your Texas bike may stay cool just as it is, but if you remove that blockage you will then be allowing the fans to utilize that cooling channel as designed.

You just think your bike runs cool now partner. When you remove them and feel all that hot air being moved away from those heads you will see what I mean.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only bad thing I have to say about Jason's fans are if ya don't have one that's bad, cuz they really do work and the switch is working good I used to hit 290-320 in town at stoplights and I have never been over 250 with fans on.. The dyno man at local Harley shop was even amazed how well they worked.. Eventually I will buy a back up cuz things can happen and I do not want to be caught with my pants down and not have one if I have to send in for repairs...

2013 110th Anniversary Ultra Limited
Fuel Moto stage 1 with 4.5 Pro Tuned Mufflers and Jackpot Header
Power Vision tuner
Jason Ward Convection Fans

Last edited by Reaper22; 05-25-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default hot air

Can anybody post some comments on the hot air that must blow on your right leg? Is it bothersome? I'm guessing this is sounding like a stupid question because the hot air has to go somewhere, I'm really just wondering how bad it gets when you are stuck in traffic or moving. I am very interested in this setup and ready to buy......just looking for some more feedback from riders who have it on their bikes.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again