Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbings Heated Gear Adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:36 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jwd98056
If by working fine folks mean your motorcycles haven't caught on fire yet then you are probably correct. Just kidding of course. A fire is highly unlikely in the fused wire harness. Then again all it takes is a little gas and a spark.

Electrical engineers design wires to safely handle the designed electrical loads of the circuit they will be used for. The wires used in the Gerbings, and most other heated clothing manufactures, power cables are a minimum of 14 gauge. Battery tender cables are typically anywhere from 16 to 18 gauge. Over time the extra heat generated from current flowing through under sized wire will damage the insulation and the wire itself. If, when or how the wire fails is dependent on the actual loads they carry and the environment the wires are typically exposed to. It's possible you may never have a failure but it is also possible you could end up with something less pleasant. It is unlikely the harness would get hot enough to ignite unless the wire deteriorates and a location somewhere in the wire develops a significantly higher resistance. A high resistance can cause can cause a lot of heat to be generated in a small area of the wire. Then it boils down to which is higher, the temperature of the wire or the flash point of the insulation. If the insulation deteriorates to the point the wire can short to the chassis then arcing is possible. Even these wouldn't be catastrophic failures unless it occurs in flammable environment (fuel vapors or other ignitable materials). Yes, I am an electrical engineer so I get paid to worry about stuff like this.

I use heated gear a lot. It's a $16 part so I consider it an investment in my peace of mind.

I don't know what gauge the wire is in the harness that the dealers are installing on new bikes. All I know is mine has a 3 Amp fuse in it. It is never a good idea to put a higher amperage fuse in a circuit unless you know for sure that everything else is designed to operate at higher current levels.

So a dealer said it is OK to power heated clothing with it. Not to be flip but I have heard all kinds of BS from people standing behind counters at dealerships. A better question for them would be what is the wire gauge in the battery tender harness. If they can't answer the question or they don't know the difference between wire gauge and a fuel gauge they aren't qualified to have an opinion. Just my $0.02. Everyone is of course free to do as they see fit.
Wouldn't the fuse on the tender line blow BEFORE the wire melted causing a catastrophe? Just my $0.02. Everyone is of course free to do as they see fit.

Just saying

Old 12-06-2011, 06:42 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
the heated gear pulls too much power and will melt or short the tenderplugg,maybe even turn u into a rolling ball of fire.
That is my understanding. But I don't have a battery tender, except on my Jeep.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 PM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Wouldn't the fuse on the tender line blow BEFORE the wire melted causing a catastrophe?
Yes - IF you leave the 3A fuse in the tender cable. BUT, the Gerbing's cables take a 15A fuse to run 1 set of gear, so if you have a big enough fuse in place to not blow with your gear on full, you could overheat/melt a tender cable.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 385 Likes on 219 Posts

When I ordered my Gerbing jacket liner about 10-12 years ago they were just switching from their then current SAE connection to the newer coax connector. They asked me which I preferred? I said I guess the new plug if it's better? He said they were switching because the new plug required less friction to connect or come apart, otherwise no difference. He said riders sometimes walk away from the bike while still connected and tugging the SAE plug apart like that puts a strain on the wiring. Also it's a little easier for connecting heated gloves to the jacket. He said if you already have SAE pigtails on multiple motorcycles for other applications (which I did) just order your liner with the SAE connector.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

The gloves and jacket only take 10A. if you add the pants and/or socks it goes to 15A and most don't do that. Most people just run the jacket and gloves. If you run the gloves alone the are only 2A which should be an issue at all with 16ga wire.

The SAE connector can handle 15A for sure. If the wiring on the battery tender pig-tail is > 14 ga (like 16), just get a better one. 14 ga can handle 15A no issue. Keep in mind the pigtail is like 8-10" and resistance is by length.

That said, the SAE connector probably will wear faster than the coax. It isn't made to be pluged-in everyday. Also many battery tenders not put a fuse in line either, but if you get a 14ga SAE pigtail and leave the coax adapter in (only changing it when you install the tender) I don't see an issue.

Finally, I just installed both - only took a minute and beside their gear comes with a pigtail.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. After considering all that has been said, I think from a safety standpoint, it may wise to take the advice of Gerbings and install the harness they provide and purchase the adapter for the SAE plug so I can still use the battery tender. Even if there is only a 1% chance a fire may occur by not using the correct harness, I am not willing to take that chance. By the way, the fuse in the harness I have is a 20amp fuse. Again, thanks to all for your views. Another great reason to be on this forum.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Not one or the other but both

Originally Posted by Terrabella
Thanks to everyone for their opinions. After considering all that has been said, I think from a safety standpoint, it may wise to take the advice of Gerbings and install the harness they provide and purchase the adapter for the SAE plug so I can still use the battery tender. Even if there is only a 1% chance a fire may occur by not using the correct harness, I am not willing to take that chance. By the way, the fuse in the harness I have is a 20amp fuse. Again, thanks to all for your views. Another great reason to be on this forum.
Instead of doing one of the other, do both. If you already have the battery tender cable connected to your battery, keep it and take the Gerbing cable and put it on the left side of the bike and battery tender plug on the right side of the bike. Problem solved, you are doing what Gerbing recommends, and don't have to go looking for the adapter when you want to use the other. The pigtail for the heated clothing comes out of the jacket on the left side, so it is convenient to plug into the Gerbing plug on the left side.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why complicate it with adapters? I left my tender pigtail where it was and ran my Gerbing one separately direct from the battery. Simple.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Reef Rider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Krow
Why complicate it with adapters? I left my tender pigtail where it was and ran my Gerbing one separately direct from the battery. Simple.
+1

-Matt

Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Krow
Hmmm, seems at times the obvious escapes us! Good point!

Quick Reply: Gerbings Heated Gear Adaptor