Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the touring bug. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
b17467
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shafferk
This is what I don't want to do. I've settled with so many things in my life that now I just want to get what I want. That Limited is such a nice bike and has all the bells and whistles as far as I can tell so that may just be what I end up with. My dealer has an "11 (Cool Blue Pearl over Black) Limited for $21,995 plus $1,000 in accessories on their floor right now that I REALLY like.
I went in for a SG and bought the Limited. had the dealer install the removable TP kit as part of the deal. I removed my lowers for the summer heat and put them back on this fall. Bought a take off SG seat on ebay for $100.00 and for riding around home take the TP off and put on the SG seat. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the look of the license plate mount. ( hard to notice it riding tho ) May have to do something like the picture in mkguitar's post.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
texasrich27
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a Dyna Low Rider that I had for over 10 years to a Street Glide in 2010. Wish I had done it sooner. Took a lot of long trips over the years on the Dyna and it served me well, but the SG is soooooooo much nicer. It rides better and handles better than the Dyna ever did. That being said, I have done some mods to it like monotubes and 940's for the rear end as well as the usual (cams, tuner, exhaust etc) stuff almost everyone does.

I agonized over the decision for a few weeks. Was torn between a Road King ( I thought I wanted the removable windshield) and the SG. Have not regretted my decision for one minute.

Next step will be a 107 kit with headwork. Not because it needs it, but it's what I want.

There's a lot of folks on here who swear by the Fugly and if you like the look, I hear it's a great ride. Get a bagger, you'll be glad you did.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Healey2Harley
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added an 09 E_glide standard to the stable. I kept the sporty. I love the cruise control. 4500 miles on the FLHT was much easier than a 2600 trip on the XL1200.

My wife now has her own hardbag for cold weather, rain gear and road use items.

I picked up a tour pac with quick detach hardware for $600, My wife actually prefers the T-bag on the sissy bar to the tour pac. This may change as she gets used to it.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my 11th harley now and finally found the right one.. I have had the ultras, the street glides , softails etc... I am on a Road Glide custom now .. which is the EXACT same bike as the Street glide except for the fairings... So it is just a matter of riding both and making your decision.... I personally didnt like lugging around all the trinkets (garb) on the Ultra.. so I went Street Glide and loved the 1" lower bike, and its nimble handling, until I rode the Road Glide... no comparison as far as ride quality on the interstate in traffic, in heavy winds, or passing semis.. thats where the fixed fairing shines. other times its no different. dont get me wrong I liked my Street glide too. but its to the point now where EVERYONE has a Street Glide... and for good reason , they are a sweet bike...But I didnt want to be just another guy with the same bike as everyone else... so hey they are all good bikes .. test drive em all and make the decision on whats right for you.... then you'll never have to wonder "did I make the right choice"?...

Old 12-06-2011, 03:15 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rode an FXRS for 18 years, had lusted over a softail, I must admit, but the past few years, I had my heart set on a Vivid Black Street Glide, figured time to get some comforts, storage and liked the looks. Went to dealer to order it and took a look at the Street Glide with the powerpak (103 cu), and also looked at the Ultra Classic and the Ultra Limited. Bought the Limited, figured I could strip the Ltd down if I really want rather than build the Street Glide up, with both the storage and bells and whistles. Sounds to me like you know what you expect from the bike, just need to confirm that the model you choose feels right and delivers. As others have said, if you can get a test ride , it makes the decision more precise. Good Luck. Hope you get the ride you will enjoy.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:16 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SG is the way to go!

Old 12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
MADHOG
Road Master

Right now my dealer has all of the '11 touring models on sale plus $1000-$2000 in accessories EXCEPT the Street Glide so a "new" bike is probably in my future. Some of this decision is me wanting my wife to be comfortable on the back on long trips. She loves to ride with me but I foresee her being miserable on the WG after a couple hundred miles. She's only 120 lbs, we both fit well on the bike and we have a C&C Sport Tour seat but there's no storage to take stuff with us. For the $$$ I would spend to get my WG set up for "touring" I might as well just buy a touring bike. Money isn't really an issue. I already have financing secured so now it's just a matter of deciding what I want. I really only want to do this once in the next 5-7 years so I want to make sure that I'm getting the right bike.
Based on what you said here I would simply go with the 11 Limited. If you go with the Limited you get the 103 (standard), plus more. It also comes standard with the cruise, ABS, heated grips; pretty much loaded. You mentioned wife comfort, taking trips, money isn’t a problem, etc. why not just go with the Limited??? Personally I use all the extras and can't ever see going backwards.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Last edited by MADHOG; 12-06-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Ok folks, I'm a dyna guy and I thought I would always stay a dyna guy but lately I have this strong desire to move up to a bagger. I love the minimalistic style of my dyna but I want to be able to travel on it without having to pack my bike like gypsy wagon. I've already decided to buy a bagger but I'm really torn on which one to get. I've narrowed it down to these 4 bikes. I really hated the Road Glide for a long time but lately it's really growing on me and the guys who ride seem to absolutely love them. The Street Glide is my favorite but is expensive for what you get. Both the Road Glide and Street Glide would get a tour pack immediately after purchase or I may make the dealer throw it in as part of the deal. That brings me to the Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited. Both are awesome bikes but there's a $2,000 difference in cost and other than paint schemes and a few chrome trinkets here and there, I can't tell what's different. Sorry for the n00b questions but I really want to know the ins and outs of these bikes before I go make my purchase. Any advice or help that you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

MSGS
If your buying a tour pack anyway then get an ultra. If you want it to look like street glide take the tour pack off. The ultra vs limited is a harder choice. For 2k you get a few more upgrades. Maybe it's worth it?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Tooth
Cruiser

If the woman is a big part of the deal then the Ultra is the bike. If she is an after thought then the SG is my choice.
I try to go everywhere with my wife. We went back to an Ultra from a Goldwing... had a RG prior to that. (thats another story) She loves the bike as much as I do. If you are going to Tour....tour....Ultra is the bike
What ever you do take your time...there are always deals and always bikes for sale.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

I wanted both a dyna and a bagger but could only afford one,
here is what I wound up with. Don't settle for less than what
you want .

Quick Reply: Got the touring bug. Need help!