Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the touring bug. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:18 AM
shafferk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Have you thought about the switchback?
Yeah I looked at the Switchback but decided against it. I could just put Hardstreet bags and a windshield on my WG and get the same effect. Maybe that's what I should do but I have a feeling it would just look retarded. I'm a function over form kinda guy but I don't want my bike to look silly if you know what I mean.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Whatever you do take your time,and make sure you get the one you want. Don't settle,and tell yourself you will be happy,when in reality you know you won't. That is what I did,and it cost me big time. I finally got the Limited,and couldn't be happier.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 AM
shafferk
Tourer

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Whatever you do take your time,and make sure you get the one you want. Don't settle,and tell yourself you will be happy,when in reality you know you won't. That is what I did,and it cost me big time. I finally got the Limited,and couldn't be happier.
This is what I don't want to do. I've settled with so many things in my life that now I just want to get what I want. That Limited is such a nice bike and has all the bells and whistles as far as I can tell so that may just be what I end up with. My dealer has an "11 (Cool Blue Pearl over Black) Limited for $21,995 plus $1,000 in accessories on their floor right now that I REALLY like.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

We considered all of them as well and decided on the SG. We like the styling vs. the RG and it would take a lot of effort removing all the stuff on the EG to make it look like the SG and then it still isn't an SG.

With the SG, we knew we only needed a tour pack on infrequent over-nighters so we bought the cargo rack and HD bag for about $300 or so and it holds as much as the chopped pack. We definitely don't want or need a King Pack.

Finally the RG & SG are lowered so to bring the ride and ground clearance back to the EG, I bought some '11 takeoff EG/RK shocks on eBay for about $120 shipped. Easy install. Can barely tell it sits 1" taller at all.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:37 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went from a dyna fat bob to a Street Glide and as said before get what you want and dont settle. You'll be kicking yourself in the a$$ for spending a ton of money and wishing you went another way. Good Luck

Old 12-06-2011, 02:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,209 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Wife and I do a lot of touring. I have purchased two new Ultras. For me it has everything I want and more.

Neither of us like the lowers...so I removed them first thing. She doesn't like the rear speakers...so those got removed.

Both sold on ebay effectively lowering the purchase price by well over $1k.

When it is real cold I put the soft lowers on.

I rode a RG, didn't like it...I know a lot do.

Have fun shopping, and I am sure you know to take into account all you will want to do after the purchase.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-06-2011, 03:53 AM
08FXDC
Road Master

I recently went from an 08 super glide custom to a 12 road glide custom and I have no regrets..

I know where you are coming from saying you don't want to settle.

When I bought my Dyna I kind of wanted a touring bike but between funds and not being sure if I was ready to have the bulk of a bagger I bought the Dyna. While I loved my Dyna I was always wishing that I bought a bagger. After several thousands of dollars in Mods to to dyna and losing a lot of money on it I made the upgrade. Im very happy with my purchase of my RGC and now I always catch myself saying "Man, I should have done this from the start"

Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 AM
shafferk
Tourer

Originally Posted by 08FXDC
I recently went from an 08 super glide custom to a 12 road glide custom and I have no regrets..

I know where you are coming from saying you don't want to settle.

When I bought my Dyna I kind of wanted a touring bike but between funds and not being sure if I was ready to have the bulk of a bagger I bought the Dyna. While I loved my Dyna I was always wishing that I bought a bagger. After several thousands of dollars in Mods to to dyna and losing a lot of money on it I made the upgrade. Im very happy with my purchase of my RGC and now I always catch myself saying "Man, I should have done this from the start"
This is exactly how I feel. The dyna is fun but I should've bought a bagger instead. I went to the dealer to buy a Street Glide and for some reason the WG caught my eye and bought it instead. I love the bike but it was a mistake.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:18 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Buy the bike that you heart is telling you you really want - if you don't you will end up more changing what you bought in to what you knew you wanted all along.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 AM
bobad24
Advanced

I've been there. After spending several years on Dynas I finally made the jump a couple weeks ago. I wanted the comfort and storage for long trips but still wanted something cool for in town cruising. I decided a Street Glide was the way to go. I love it and don't miss the Dyna at all. My best advice is to ride them all and see what fits what you want. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Quick Reply: Got the touring bug. Need help!