Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering an Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Depending on your budget take a look at Aluma, or any other all aluminum trailer. My Aluma is 4' X 8'. Normally not long enough for a touring bike, but the full width tailgate folds in half & can be secured in a tilt to the rear while hauling. It's also more than strong enough for the heaviest of bikes. Simply folding keeps it from hitting the tour pack, & tilting to the rear leaves nearly a foot of clearance in the back. The trailer weighs nothing, so it's easy to handle when storing.

If your budget doesn't allow an all aluminum trailer just be sure that the tailgate of whatever trailer you buy has a couple of angle iron or square stock iron supports under the extruded mesh of the gate. It'll be strong enough & won't fall forward on the bike. It will cost you some gas mileage on your tow vehicle though because even extruded mesh is a pretty good sail.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A standard 5 X 10 utility trailer will work fine but when I used mine to tow my bike I removed the large lay-down rear gate because of so much air it caught. I started carrying a folding ramp along and went from getting crappy fuel mileage to barely even noticing the trailer and bike were back there.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxley Trailers and Chocks
Before you make a decision, I urge you to check out our trailers and or chocks. They've been rated #1 for 12 consecutive years by AIM. Tilts for easy, 1 person loading (ride on flat footed). The LA chock secures the bike so you just get off and strap down. Once you set the straps once, you never have to adjust them. As the trailer tilts down, the straps loosen. As the trailer tilts up (into riding position) the straps tighten. Here's a video and review in Rider Magazine.
Nice review in the most recent issue of Rider magazine. Believe me, I looked long and hard at the SB001, but I really need a multi-purpose trailer for hauling a small zero-turn mower, furniture and other misc. bulky items and for occasionally hauling my bike. The SB001 didn't look like the deck would be wide enough for what I need to haul and the SBX09 was just beyond the upper limit of what I wanted to spend. Really like the ground-loading feature of your trailers, especially since I will be loading/unloading on my own.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master

Originally Posted by moondog99
A standard 5 X 10 utility trailer will work fine but when I used mine to tow my bike I removed the large lay-down rear gate because of so much air it caught. I started carrying a folding ramp along and went from getting crappy fuel mileage to barely even noticing the trailer and bike were back there.
Exactly what I was thinking of doing. Seems like I'm always the second one to think of something first.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM
rhj
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a 5X10 open utility trailer with the drop down ramp. I had an extra support welded in the middle of the drop down and use a condor wheel chock and 4 tie down straps. I think it works great and you still have a trailer to use for everything else that comes up. I don't feel the gate creates that much of a milage issue and for as little as I use it I like the ability to put both feet down when backing it out of the trailer. Used it for about 8 years now.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,008 Likes on 22,554 Posts

$2 K will get you one of these,(Aluma MC10) http://www.jimscaptown.com/aluma/mc1...le_trailer.htm and will be the easiest on your wallet for towing.

Fold down and tuck in ramp in the back.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My first Touring bike was an 09 EGC. I trailered it to florida and other places on a 5X10 utility trailer I bought used for 500.00 I put a wheel chock and tie downs.
Never had a single problem. I built a ramp out of 2X10's and some angle iron from Lowe's. Trust me, you do not want to do the tilt trailer if it has 15 inch tires on it. especially if it's wet!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
$2 K will get you one of these,(Aluma MC10) http://www.jimscaptown.com/aluma/mc1...le_trailer.htm and will be the easiest on your wallet for towing.

Fold down and tuck in ramp in the back.
This is a great Trailer! My friend has one and say's he hardly feels it behind him. Said it only weigh's 500lbs and will haul two bikes. Only thing is, you can spend
a couple hundred more and get a 5X10 enclosed V-nose.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Baxley Trailers and Chocks
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out our Flatbed trailer.... FB001: Comes with a removable LA trailer chock. 52" wide and will haul most mowers, atv's and golf carts. Also, by placing the chock on the front, you can easily load your bike (just like the SB001).

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/FB001.html

Old 12-07-2011, 07:28 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master

Originally Posted by Baxley Trailers and Chocks
Check out our Flatbed trailer.... FB001: Comes with a removable LA trailer chock. 52" wide and will haul most mowers, atv's and golf carts. Also, by placing the chock on the front, you can easily load your bike (just like the SB001).

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/FB001.html
Something like that would work nicely! The deck looks a little shorter than the SB001 - will a full size Ultra fit? Do you ever run a 50% Off Scratch and Dent Sale or is there an underground market for trade-ins/refurbished models?

Quick Reply: Trailering an Ultra