Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting Cats - the real facts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:41 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I agree with you on this. I've been running Xied's for two year's on two different bike's. Mine is running what you see in my sig pic. I've had good result's. Plugs look great, Gas mileage average's around 45 mpg. I know it's not the perfect tune, but what is with all the change's in condition's? My cruise range is between 28 and 3200 RPM's.
It's not a tune at all, that's the point. It's a one-size-fits-all addition of fuel to the area of the map that needs it the least. Very good for lightening your wallet (and putting money in Nightrider's accounts), doesn't do much of anything for the bike.

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I'm aware of what they do and dont do.
And yet you defend them as something other than snake oil. They're a placebo, that's about it.

Last edited by '05Train; 12-08-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
And yet you defend them as something other than snake oil. They're a placebo, that's about it.
I dont think they are snake oil, they do what they do. Here's a deal for ya - you put what you want on your bike, I'll put what I want on my bike.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:47 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I dont think they are snake oil, they do what they do. Here's a deal for ya - you put what you want on your bike, I'll put what I want on my bike.
You might want to lube your muffler bearings while you're at it. They have as much of an effect on your bike as XIEDs.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

You might want to lube your muffler bearings while you're at it. They have as much of an effect on your bike as XIEDs.
Look, Sparky, they richen the mixture in closed loop, thats not nothing. If you dont want them, I suggest you dont buy them.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Twigg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I cam here thinking I might find a new recipe and now I'm learning about exhaust.

Now I need to search for the cooking section....lol

Old 12-08-2011, 04:14 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

So, getting back to gutless cats.........what's the difference between a gutted header pipe from a 2010 model to a cat-less pipe from a 2009 model? i realize the O2 sensors are in different locations, but is there any real difference in the shape of the pipe at the collector?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White Ice
So, getting back to gutless cats.........what's the difference between a gutted header pipe from a 2010 model to a cat-less pipe from a 2009 model? i realize the O2 sensors are in different locations, but is there any real difference in the shape of the pipe at the collector?
Good question and certainly worth getting a solid answer on.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not a tune at all, that's the point. It's a one-size-fits-all addition of fuel to the area of the map that needs it the least. Very good for lightening your wallet (and putting money in Nightrider's accounts), doesn't do much of anything for the bike.

on these

I never said they were a tune. They enrich the closed loop from 14.7 to 13.8
14.7 is lean and lean create's more heat right? Everybody complain's about their bike's running too lean and hot. 13.8 is about what the ECM's open loop start's at. Lot's of test and research has been done. I think Steve Mullen at niterider has a good product for folks who want to leave their harley's mostly stock, but eliminate the lean hot condition. I've looked at a lot of dyno chart's where guy's have tuner's. most of the afr's are right in line with 13.8 to 14.2

The smartass remark about greasing your muffler bearing's does as much good is uncalled for. Lot of forum member's use Niterider's Xied's with good result's.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ice
not any except for the location of the 02 sensor's. Dealer close to me has been changing header's for people wanting to do away with the cat. He would put 09 header's on 2010 and later. I talked with several good mechanic's and tuner's. Most say the crosstalk if any is negligable. If you put it on a dyno, you would probably get a little, but you won't tell it in the running or seat of the pant's dyno. I'm running a 2into1 catless stock header with good results.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
on these

I never said they were a tune. They enrich the closed loop from 14.7 to 13.8
14.7 is lean and lean create's more heat right? Everybody complain's about their bike's running too lean and hot. 13.8 is about what the ECM's open loop start's at. Lot's of test and research has been done. I think Steve Mullen at niterider has a good product for folks who want to leave their harley's mostly stock, but eliminate the lean hot condition. I've looked at a lot of dyno chart's where guy's have tuner's. most of the afr's are right in line with 13.8 to 14.2

The smartass remark about greasing your muffler bearing's does as much good is uncalled for. Lot of forum member's use Niterider's Xied's with good result's.
Yup took care of my lean condition....

Quick Reply: Gutting Cats - the real facts