Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting Cats - the real facts

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by buggin02
In laymans terms, the exhaust flow swirls around and bumps into things when it hits resistance(like the cat, and the inside walls of the collector) which develops back pressure. (Think of it like a stream of muddy water, flowing nicely, now place a board with a few pin holes in the stream and watch what happens.) Things swirl around and some even comes back upstream against the flow. That's how your crosstalk happens.
I see your theory using muddy water and a board if we are speaking of fluid hitting a solid object, can't see similarities from your example in relation to constant control flow of hot forced pressured air little to no resistance inside a controlled area (a pipe) having trouble seeing back flow occurring... nope! The exhaust converter is like a handful of soda straws inside a pipe (no resistance) hot exhaust goes through converter made of platinum metal that is heated several times hotter then the pipe it houses them burning off hydrocarbons & other air polluting emissions before it's released into our atmosphere. No backpressure, no backflow, and no crosstalk.
Unless the engine starts in reverse, (Harleys can sometimes do), but not in this case.

Closer related to your theory, how about a pebble inside a garden hose (a constant controlled pressurized environment), the water will hit the pebble causing resistance but water continues to go over and around pebble in one direction only, again no back flow.

B Bop

Last edited by B Bop; 06-03-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 PM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

1 Canuck, I never said that crosstalk actually does occur on Harleys. B Bop was just asking how it was possible.

BBop, you asked for a layman's explanation so that's what you got. Now if you would like to go into fluid flow dynamics and more importantly how fluid dynamics differs from air flow dynamics. Well, that won't be a layman's explanation.

And for the record I put a '09 headpipe on my '12 Limited which has the O2 sensors up by the heads. SO if crosstalk does exist on Harleys it wasn't happening on mine.

Additionally if you look a little further into how often and under what throttle conditions the O2 sensors are actually sampling the air, you would stop worrying about it all together. (Hint...it's almost negligible)

Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

If the cat offers no resistance to flow, then why is it that a 2.5" or 3" baffle can be run in mufflers without hurting torque. But when the cat is removed with the same mufflers you need to drop down in baffle size. This resistance continues to increase as the milage goes up due to carbon build-up.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn this was one of the most entertaining threads I've read in a while !