Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting Cats - the real facts

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,396 Likes on 5,514 Posts

Xieds are a a short term fix for a cheaper stage 1 they are not a replacement for a good tune .
I had Xieds on the 07

Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
1. I ride a 2011 Road King just like yours, not purple though
2. I have the Floorboard extenders and the extended Harley Pans
3. Yep, I wear boots and pants

The CAT isn't by your right foot, it's under your right thigh and butt. Gutting the CAT is free, Xieds are not. I like Kool-Aid but prefer Pepsi. The heat isn't a perception, it's a fact. No one ever proclaimed a performance increase, just a decrease in heat and a little more rumble.
Sorry you couldn't get a purple one, only a few of us lucky ones did.

But your exhaust system must be different from mine or you must ride yours in a distinctly different posture than I do. The cat on mine is nowhere near my thigh or butt (unless I were to sit on the floorboard). It's down where the "1 part" is in the 2-1-2 pipe, where you can see the weld on this gutted pipe:

The only part of my anatomy that is remotely close to there is my right foot. In fact it's right between my right foot and my wife's and neither of us have ever had a problem with heat there.

(But I knew that bumping this thread, even with a sarcastic post, would get a response this time of year. )

Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Sorry you couldn't get a purple one, only a few of us lucky ones did.

But your exhaust system must be different from mine or you must ride yours in a distinctly different posture than I do. The cat on mine is nowhere near my thigh or butt (unless I were to sit on the floorboard). It's down where the "1 part" is in the 2-1-2 pipe, where you can see the weld on this gutted pipe:

The only part of my anatomy that is remotely close to there is my right foot. In fact it's right between my right foot and my wife's and neither of us have ever had a problem with heat there.

(But I knew that bumping this thread, even with a sarcastic post, would get a response this time of year. )
1.I think we will all live with the fact that we can't get a purple motorcycle
2. Maybe you guys should visit the doctor and see if you have any feeling left in your right feet because that's the only way I can see you not being able to feel it.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:44 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
1.I think we will all live with the fact that we can't get a purple motorcycle
2. Maybe you guys should visit the doctor and see if you have any feeling left in your right feet because that's the only way I can see you not being able to feel it.
Take your lower fairings off and allow the wind to blow through and you won't feel it either. (On the other hand, at my age I've lost feeling in lots of places, so you could be right. )

Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I guess we could all ride side saddle

Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
I guess we could all ride side saddle

Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2010 RKC and I don't see how the cat raises the perceived temp for the same reason... the cat is behind your foot. Maybe it could affect a passenger. There is some radiant heat off the motor and pipes by the right thigh but it's not coming from the cat.

My EVO big twins had a lot of heat coming off the rear pipe. I don't feel a big change on the RKC. Both are hot in hot weather.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Look guys. If you have a problem with the heat, getting rid of the cat will help out a bunch.

If you have no problem with the heat, then there is no need for you to do anything.

No reason for those who do not experience the heat to be so smug.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 PM
kgreeno
Stage IV

i have 2012 ultra and installed V & H head pipes and monster ovals much less heat and more power

Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Replaced my stock pipe today with a D & D boss fatcat 2-1 and Fuelmoto power vision with preloaded map. Heat issues are gone I won't be missing that hot mother*u*k**!!!

Quick Reply: Gutting Cats - the real facts