Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any other tools i need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any other tools i need?

I am going to do the chrome front end kit on my 07 sg this week. I am also installing progressive monotubes at the stock height. I have scrolled through just about all the diy threads on the chrome front end kit. I haven't seen much on the diy monotube install. I found one thread that no one replied to. So my question is are there any "special" tools that I will need. What I have so far are: homemade extra long 6mm allen head socket, 2' lenght of 1.5" pvc pipe and the axle wrench. I also have a vice mounted to my work bench. For those of you that have done this, am I good to go with what I have for tools? I have the bike pretty much ready for tear down. A friend of mine is coming to help me with it this week so he can see how it comes apart and goes together as well as giving me an extra hand. My main concern at this point is the springs and compressing them.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I didn't put in monotubes but when I did my chrome front end, I was able to compress the factory springs by hand. I may be doing monotubes or Race Tech springs next year, so I'll be interested in your install and results.

Instructions found on the net show no spring compressor necessary for install......

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 12-05-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I put new bushings and seals in a set of take off lowers I bought on this forum. One of the 6 mm screws in the bottom of the old lowers stripped the allen socket they are pretty soft material. I drilled the head almost through with a bit that was a little larger than the screw shank and then smacked it with a drift punch to break the head off. It took about 10 extra minutes but worked well (5 mins was deciding what to do). Be sure and buy new screws before you start. As recomended by the SM I use an air speed gun to tighten and remove these screws and it works good. I have not tried it without an air wrench so can't say how well that will work.
I could not get the springs compressed and the plugs started by myself but a neighbor helped me and it went easy with 4 hands. I used my bench vise with copper jaws. The tubes were at a slight angle and about chest high so that didn't help trying by myself. I put a 1 3/8" socket on a 1/2" drive ratchet and while he pushed on the ratchet I could turn it and get the threads on the plug started. The PVC pipe worked great as a seal driver. I stacked 3 or 4 1-1/2" couplers with the stops filed out and did not have to split any pipe. The HD manuals were right on except the quantity of wear rings on the dampner tubes. SM said it took 2 per side the parts cataolge and dealer said it took 1. I bought 2 per and it took 2. Keep it clean and all should go well. Good Luck

Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I didn't put in monotubes but when I did my chrome front end, I was able to compress the factory springs by hand. I may be doing monotubes or Race Tech springs next year, so I'll be interested in your install and results.

Instructions found on the net show no spring compressor necessary for install......
I'll report back for sure. I paid 252 shipped to my door for the monotubes. Worth a try. Thanks

Old 12-05-2011, 09:11 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
I put new bushings and seals in a set of take off lowers I bought on this forum. One of the 6 mm screws in the bottom of the old lowers stripped the allen socket they are pretty soft material. I drilled the head almost through with a bit that was a little larger than the screw shank and then smacked it with a drift punch to break the head off. It took about 10 extra minutes but worked well (5 mins was deciding what to do). Be sure and buy new screws before you start. As recomended by the SM I use an air speed gun to tighten and remove these screws and it works good. I have not tried it without an air wrench so can't say how well that will work.
I could not get the springs compressed and the plugs started by myself but a neighbor helped me and it went easy with 4 hands. I used my bench vise with copper jaws. The tubes were at a slight angle and about chest high so that didn't help trying by myself. I put a 1 3/8" socket on a 1/2" drive ratchet and while he pushed on the ratchet I could turn it and get the threads on the plug started. The PVC pipe worked great as a seal driver. I stacked 3 or 4 1-1/2" couplers with the stops filed out and did not have to split any pipe. The HD manuals were right on except the quantity of wear rings on the dampner tubes. SM said it took 2 per side the parts cataolge and dealer said it took 1. I bought 2 per and it took 2. Keep it clean and all should go well. Good Luck
Thanks man, all good info. I better go get them screws and wear rings. The dealer sold me 2 seals and 2 rings.thanks for your advice. I'll report back.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will need an impact gun. I cant rememebr the size wrench for the top, I used the box wrench in the tool bag that came with the bike. I think its 36mm? Make sure you take the lowers off with the forks still in place. It will be much easier. All the ideas you got so far work well. Now is the time for a flush mount axle as well. Good luck

Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,872 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Yep, it's just nuts, bolts and circlips. About the only real complex part is measuring the new oil properly. Ya don't really need the special Harley tool to do that. Just a long screw driver that you can put a piece of tape on to measure from the top of the tube to the oil level.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Yep, it's just nuts, bolts and circlips. About the only real complex part is measuring the new oil properly. Ya don't really need the special Harley tool to do that. Just a long screw driver that you can put a piece of tape on to measure from the top of the tube to the oil level.
Reading the monotube instructions on line (for the 1-2" lowering kit that is) it tells to add no more then 5oz of 20W or HD Fork oil. Not sure if it's the same for the stock height.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I ended up doing for fork oil, was get one of those graduated paint cups from home depot. Measured what the book said to add and it was good.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:26 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain

Thanks. My monotube instructons said 5oz per side of 10wt

Quick Reply: any other tools i need?