Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjusting handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 PM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default adjusting handlebars

How in the hell do you get that chrome cover off to get to the handlebar clamps?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

depends on model...hint

Mike

Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 PM
deepsea
Tourer

sorry, 2007 roadking

Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deepsea
sorry, 2007 roadking

You have to remove the headlight Nacelle first.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

remove the decorative plate above the ignition lock

you'll see 2 allens right under the cover, loosen slightly, adjust, tighten.

rotate bars to stops to ensure that bars/control clear the tank

reinstall cover

( just put the year model in your "garage" then people will know, but it's always good to put it there)

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-04-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 PM
deepsea
Tourer

OK, had a sporty until yesterday when i traded it for the road king. I have to take the headlight apart to get to the handlebar clamps? WTF?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As MKGUITAR said. To adjust the handlebars you remove the small, about 3" long X 3/4" tall, plastic trim.

It pops up with a pocket knife or screwdriver.

Though I use a pocket knife because it is thinner and will go between the trim and the cover.

There is a plastic clip at the left and right end. It is not difficult. My only concern I have when I do this it is to make sure I do not brake the small clip.

Once the trim is removed, the two (of 4) allen head screws are exposed (2 of the screws are hidden behind the chromed metal cover). Loosen these two screws, rotate the handel bars back or forward as you want, tighten the screws.

Yes, to remove the handle bars you have to remove the nacell trim. Not the complete nacell. Just the trim strip on the top of the nacell. To remove this trim you have to remove the headlight. Inside of the headlight, at the top of the inside of the nacell, is a small nut. The nut is threaded to a "bolt" that is braised to the trim. Remove the nut, washer, and then the trim. It will expose the nut for the handlebar trim that covers the two remaining allen head bolts that hold the handel bar clamp in place. Remove the bolts and the top of the clamp and the handel bars will come off. (Except for the cables and such, of course.)

Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

hey Deepsea, think about getting the factory manual- it's well worth it and can guide you through simple or complex jobs and prevent simple mistakes ( like the famous "shim for the front brake light switch")

the classifieds here are really good for finding parts and accessories for the new ride at a discount.

mike

Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by deepsea
OK, had a sporty until yesterday when i traded it for the road king. I have to take the headlight apart to get to the handlebar clamps? WTF?
No! You call on your dealer and get the factory service manual and a six-pack and go home. Have lunch, drink a couple of beers and read the book - and drink the rest when you have done.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Again on the manual. That is how I got my info about how to do this, and other, projects. But then, I am the type of guy who enjoys tinkering with my bike and like reading the service manual to become as familiar with my vehicles as I can.

I learned a long time ago that, in the long run, reading the instructions first is easier than "wingin' it". Yes, manuals are a wonderful tool. As much a tool as a good set of wrenches, sockets, air ratchet, and a compressor.

Quick Reply: adjusting handlebars