Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 103 road king replacing head pipe to no cat . Effect on exhaust sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 PM
oldtech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 103 road king replacing head pipe to no cat . Effect on exhaust sound?

I removing the head pipe and replacing with full-sac ceramic coated head pipe. I am doing tis for the reduction of heat more than anything else. What effect will this have on the exhaust sound with the stock mufflers. Also does anyone have a recommendation for slip on's that just make a nice increase in exhaust sound and flow well, with the new catless head pipe. I am in california and the local cops are getting tough. Also I lead a group of riders and dont want that loud of pipes. Thanks

Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

It will sound like a Harley again once you get rid of the CAT. If you don't want loud pipes,but want a good sound from slipons,how about the monster series from V&H?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:56 PM
oldtech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Metfancowboy, I found a you tube with monster ovals they sounded good, JL

Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

many riders report good results from the stock mufflers once they remove the cat from the headers.

try that first, it's cheapest.

The V&H my Pal has, if he leads I drop way back, I find it tinny and annoying

winner for flow and sound control are supertrapp supermegs ( and the screaming eagle nightstick and fatshots which have same disc system, but would need additional discs or end cap).

You can still have loud enough that following riders know if you are accelerating, cruising or backing off without having to stare at the brake light

Mike

Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

rineharts are great for that they bark when you want them to but quiet when your cruising.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Check out American Custom. My slip-ons will be here tomorrow. I'm stuck leaving my stock head pipes on for now, but they have a heck of a deal on catless head pipes also.

Mufflers and head pipes for $398 if you return your stock pipes and mufflers to them.

http://www.americancustom.com/

Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I did the same on my 2011 Limited. Not exactly but close... Fuel Moto Jackpot 2-1-2 header.

The sound with the new pipe and stock mufflers was just a little louder than stock. Kinda nice actually. I installed Jackpot DynoTuned mufflers temporarily but they were louder than I wanted so I put the stock mufflers back on and have been running them for the last year or so.

Two weeks ago I reinstalled the jackpots to give them another try. Now I'm thinking of returning to the stock mufflers for good. The Jackpots sound really nice at idle and around town cruising, but at 75+ mph cruising and hard accels/decels they are too loud for me.

If such a muffler existed that sounded like the Jackpots at idle and low speed/low load cruising, and the stock mufflers under higher loads and speeds, that would be ideal for me.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 AM
joepalmer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 09 RKC. Took the stock head pipe off, cut out the cat and put it back on. I run the Klock Werks Super Savers. The bike has a great rumble and sound. But not crazy loud and annoying (unless you really get on it, then it opens up nicely).

Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
If such a muffler existed that sounded like the Jackpots at idle and low speed/low load cruising, and the stock mufflers under higher loads and speeds, that would be ideal for me.
supertrapp

Mike

Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

V&H Monster Rounds or Ovals. If they are just a little too quiet, remove the fiberglass wrapping. Very easy to do.

Not sure how much louder the stock pipes will be.

Either way you choose, what tuner are you going to use? If you use a Thundermaxx, you can swap out various mufflers and combinations and always know it will be properly tuned.

Quick Reply: 2012 103 road king replacing head pipe to no cat . Effect on exhaust sound?