Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cycle sounds lids

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by customsoftail200
I don't think the 7.25 will sound as good as 6x9..
Not even close.......................The 6 X 9's are head and shoulders above the 7.25, 6.5 & 5.25.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I was thinking the exact opposite. I liked this because they do stand out. The speakers are angled up and tilted in so the sound is directed right at you. That's gotta be good.

Also, I read somewhere about oval speakers being not so good as round speakers. A waveform is spherical so the speaker ought to be spherical in shape to create the waveform. Just makes sense.
My 6x9s are so loud, they shake the ground. Outperform my buddy's 7.25s hands-down

Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Not even close.......................The 6 X 9's are head and shoulders above the 7.25, 6.5 & 5.25.
Originally Posted by stupid_rope
My 6x9s are so loud, they shake the ground. Outperform my buddy's 7.25s hands-down
I know Glacier has...

PIONEER PREMIER TS D902P

What have you got mr Rope?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 PM
LADNAR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on guys, you really need to figure this out!

I log on here everyday waiting for you all to make up my mind, so get to it! I'm ready to order, and need you to tell me what is going to fit the best, sound the best, and be the cheapest route to go!!!

I've been looking at the Bagger Nation House Party kit for $1000. Comes with the lids, amp, front and rear speakers, and all wiring and mounting hardware. Anybody have this set up??

I'm concerned about Yaffe's lid quality, and the Rockford Fosgates sound/build quality. I used to do a lot of car stereos, and there was a time when Fosgates meant excellence. Not so much anymore...

I've also thought about just ordering the HD lids, and ordering speakers and an amp from Crutchfield. My bike is vivid black, so at least I can order the HD lids, and not have to pay for someone to paint them.

Seems to me that no matter how I add things up, I'm going to spend about $1200-$1400 on this project.

Who's got the answer??

Old 12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by LADNAR
Come on guys, you really need to figure this out!

I log on here everyday waiting for you all to make up my mind, so get to it! I'm ready to order, and need you to tell me what is going to fit the best, sound the best, and be the cheapest route to go!!!

I've been looking at the Bagger Nation House Party kit for $1000. Comes with the lids, amp, front and rear speakers, and all wiring and mounting hardware. Anybody have this set up??

I'm concerned about Yaffe's lid quality, and the Rockford Fosgates sound/build quality. I used to do a lot of car stereos, and there was a time when Fosgates meant excellence. Not so much anymore...

I've also thought about just ordering the HD lids, and ordering speakers and an amp from Crutchfield. My bike is vivid black, so at least I can order the HD lids, and not have to pay for someone to paint them.

Seems to me that no matter how I add things up, I'm going to spend about $1200-$1400 on this project.

Who's got the answer??

I've been stressing about this for a week. It's a very difficult problem. I think I have something figured out then someone comes in and says his system makes the ground shake. So I spend the night googling ground shaking systems.

I wish someone had the answer, I'm all ears too.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 AM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think going with cycle sounds lids, the fosgate 4 channel amp and some nice marine 6x9's from crutchfield or something.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by customsoftail200
I think going with cycle sounds lids, the fosgate 4 channel amp and some nice marine 6x9's from crutchfield or something.
For the money the Rockford 4 channel amp with a nice set of 6.5 inch speakers in the fairing and a set of Polk Audio marine 6x9 in the lids would sound nice for around $800.00 including lids.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 AM
LADNAR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I've been stressing about this for a week. It's a very difficult problem. I think I have something figured out then someone comes in and says his system makes the ground shake. So I spend the night googling ground shaking systems.

I wish someone had the answer, I'm all ears too.
I'm with you there. It also occupies my every evening.

From what I've seen/been thinking, the HD lids have to be of extreme quality. I mean after all, they made the original lids, and I trust that their lids will fit and seal well. The "Boom" speakers? I've heard them, and they sounded good, but I think some quality aftermarket speakers would probably sound better, and I know they would be cheaper.

Right now, I think I'm leaning towards HD lids, the $200 Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp, and probably some Polk speakers from Crutchfield. 5x7's for the lids, and 6.5's for the front. (They're running a buy one, get one half off deal) Then I think I'll order the 5 1/4" to 6.5" conversion rings from Paul Yaffe.

There was a thread on here a week or two ago about doing something very similar to this. Also the part numbers were listed for the HD speaker grills to fit the lids, without having to buy their speakers.

Then I think I'll just need to figure out the wiring. The street glide's head unit will only push 2 channels, but the dealer can download new software to it, so it will push 4 channels instead. I don't know if there's any fee for this download, and when I spoke with my nearest dealer, they didn't know what I was talking about. Figures! They can do it though.

Like you said though, once you think you have it all figured out, some other idea comes along and messes everything up again...

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by LADNAR
I'm with you there. It also occupies my every evening.

From what I've seen/been thinking, the HD lids have to be of extreme quality. I mean after all, they made the original lids, and I trust that their lids will fit and seal well. The "Boom" speakers? I've heard them, and they sounded good, but I think some quality aftermarket speakers would probably sound better, and I know they would be cheaper.

Right now, I think I'm leaning towards HD lids, the $200 Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp, and probably some Polk speakers from Crutchfield. 5x7's for the lids, and 6.5's for the front. (They're running a buy one, get one half off deal) Then I think I'll order the 5 1/4" to 6.5" conversion rings from Paul Yaffe.

There was a thread on here a week or two ago about doing something very similar to this. Also the part numbers were listed for the HD speaker grills to fit the lids, without having to buy their speakers.

Then I think I'll just need to figure out the wiring. The street glide's head unit will only push 2 channels, but the dealer can download new software to it, so it will push 4 channels instead. I don't know if there's any fee for this download, and when I spoke with my nearest dealer, they didn't know what I was talking about. Figures! They can do it though.

Like you said though, once you think you have it all figured out, some other idea comes along and messes everything up again...

Good luck!

I was at the dealer last night, my parts guy took a quick look at the catalog and did a price check and for me to upgrade to boom, with lids, amp, speakers, the price is right around $2500. So I think what ever we do aftermarket will be cheaper and probably better performace.

Those pioneer 6x9's that Glacier has are pretty much top shelf as someone else put it. I couldn't find anything better out there.

I wanted a 6 speaker system, but in spite of the advice I'm getting there are no speaker pods for my style of lowers. The only guy I found that makes them is taking a break from it right now. So I think I'm starting with a 4ch sys.

Haven't decided on lids yet. I'm afraid if I were to get the harley lids the pioneers might not fit inside the indent.

A guy could play it safe and clone the system Mr. Glacier put together.

Last edited by zeus33; 12-07-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

The Yaffe lids are the Cycle Sounds lids. Build quality is very good. My painter had no problems with them. The bag latches fit fine although I put a little longer screw in the latches when I put it back together.

The sound quality is very good, but does start to fade away at about 50mph. If I lean back I can hear them. My passenger can hear them fine no matter the speed. She has told me to turn it down before at 70 mph.

My stereo consists of
Sony DSX-S100 head unit w/ Biketronics gear to retain hand controls
ARC Audio 125.2
Polk 5.25" in the fairing
ARC Audio 6x9" in the bag lids
Wired in parallel to power all 4 speakers from the 2 channel amp

Hard to appreciate sound on from Youtube, but here is a clip I took after I mocked everything up and before I put the Sony head unit in.

http://www.youtube.com/user/biggzed?.../9/yd9IUEqsnbA

Zach

Quick Reply: Cycle sounds lids