Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this Common?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
BigD629
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this Common?

When I took my bike in for it's 5K service, the dealer called and said the primary gasket was leaking. I didn't question it because I had my compensator replaced under warranty at the same time.

So I take it in for 10K service and brake switch recall the other day. When I picked it up, I noticed the invoice had warranty work for primary leak again! I know for a fact that there wasn't any leaks, because I checked it frequently! They also replaced the shift shaft seal. Are they just ripping MOCO for $. Just wondering if this is a common practice for most dealerships?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I would be looking for them to replace the primary cover if it said to be leaking at 15k... Could be a bad casting but two leaks in 5k is too many. They could have fudge up the gasket the first time too..... Keep an eye on it....

Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinman265
I think I would be looking for them to replace the primary cover if it said to be leaking at 15k... Could be a bad casting but two leaks in 5k is too many. They could have fudge up the gasket the first time too..... Keep an eye on it....
You didn't read what he said...he said it was not leaking and but they charged for a change anyway. But really who knows whether or not they really installed a new gasket. Unless you watch every move, you never really know what a dealer's non-service dept installs or doesn't install. It's really sad how sh!tty some service departments have become.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Why dont you ask the delaership to explain what they did......

Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Why dont you ask the delaership to explain what they did......
Agreed.

You dont want extra crap on ur service history... later on it will look like a trouble bike...

Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another reason I don't like the dealer touching my bike, my warranty runs out in 20 days, and I doubt the dealer will ever see my bike again.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:59 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may think this sounds funky but; The next time you take it in take a sharpie marker and put some small (hardly noticeable) marks on one of the bolts and the stationary surface (chances are they won’t put the same bolts back in the same hole). To really make sure, just put some whiteout (or some white paint) in the bolt head. If they take a wrench to it there should be some dirt, markes, etc., get the point? This is on way to see if they are telling the truth. The other way is put a hidden camera on the bike or call in Jack Byrnes ,

They don’t call them stealerships for nothing I guess… You never know what they are doing. That’s why I try to do basic maintenance myself, just don’t trust them all that much.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
You didn't read what he said...he said it was not leaking and but they charged for a change anyway. But really who knows whether or not they really installed a new gasket. Unless you watch every move, you never really know what a dealer's non-service dept installs or doesn't install. It's really sad how sh!tty some service departments have become.
and how much of their service bottom line is made up from bogus warranty parts replacement. I mean what's to stop a dealership employee from having their engine completely rebuilt under some BS reason....probably nothing.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately like others in life, 1% can ruin it for the majority. There are a lot of good dealers out there but it only takes a few to give them all a bad rep.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:05 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

If the shifter shaft seal was leaking they had to remove the primary cover so they would replace the gasket. The shifter shaft seal can leak with out being real messy but over time it does get worse so maybe just maybe you have a really good dealer who noticed a problem and fixed it.

Quick Reply: Is this Common?