Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a shoulder to cry on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a shoulder to cry on?

Hello everyone. Here's my situation, and hopefully I'll feel better after hearing from some of you or just getting it off my chest. I purchased a 2006 Street Glide last year (Aug. '05). I have had 8 Harleys prior and all were used bikes that I maintained or customized back to new, etc. I waited many years to finally have my new one.....I did all my research, I studied, I made sure it would fit all my needs. Hell, I even bought a '76 basket case Ironhead Sporty to have as my barhopper / constant project bike. Okay, so here comes the real let-down. I have gained interest, since buying the Glide, in the hot rod scene (moreso the rat rod market that would cost me a fractin of what the Street Glide cost). I thought it would be more practical to take the kids out in, to use more during the colder months, etc. So I listed the Glide on Ebay. It has been listed 2 times and the highest bid has been 15,300.00. It only has 3,000 miles and is truly showroom new (I am a fanatic). I was happy inside that she didn't sell, but at the same time, it really made me upset to realize these bikes just don't hold the same value they did up till a couple of years ago. Harley rode the wave until the bubble burst. The bikes are still worth more than most other manufacturers can claim to hold, but what a depressing, reality check-type situation I found myself in. I am not in dire need to sell the bike, and by the same token, there are far worse predicaments to be in other than having a new Glide, but have any of you found yourself in similar situations regarding sale/resale situations with your rides? Let's face it, we love these things, but I think we all have to face the reality that the market is no longer a sellers market on these....it is no longer that strong of a fad that people are paying well over sticker because it is the "cool" thing to do....the waiting lists are a thing of the past for the most part. Is this a bad time for us?
All in all, though, I must raise a glass and toast those of us that keep this sport and this hobby from here on out - regardless if our machines are "worth just as much in 3 years as when I bought it new" - regardless if they are not assets, but liabilities - regardless if everyone and their brother must have them..... we are the true bikers.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Dante
Advanced
Default RE: Is there a shoulder to cry on?

When I sold my 1998 FLHPI, I practically had to give it away. That was last summer!

Old 12-04-2006, 08:40 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used is used, is used. Most people don't have that kind of cash sitting around and have to hassle with the bank, credit union, etc., to get a loan. Now walk into a dealer and all that is done for you, pain free (providing you have good credit), and you have a new bike for, as an example, for $50 per month more. That is what you are competing against. You will always take your biggest hit in depreciation, whether a scoot or car, in the first year (usually as soon as you drive it away from the dealer). What did you expect?

Old 12-04-2006, 08:48 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Picked up my 2006 RK Classic for 13,900 after the guy bought it in March picked it up in May and made about 5 payments on it and said come get I can't afford it anymore. Oh by the way he put 6000 down on the bike.

Sarge

Old 12-04-2006, 09:18 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations Sarge! You did a good thing.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 rule in economics: The laws of supply and demand. When you walk into a dealer today you see lots of inventory, deals are being made and theres plenty more where they came from. The days of getting all your money back on your "investment" are pretty much over. I'm reaching the point where I have more invested in my bike than I can ever expect to get back but no one can take my smile away!

Old 12-04-2006, 09:36 PM
HammerheadSSN663
Cruiser

eat it. you'll make it back in a couple of years by not having to pay the ridiculous interest rate (what? 10% +-?) taxes, insurance, CONTINUED depreciation as everyday passes by.... get the picture???

Old 12-04-2006, 09:57 PM
classic cruiser
Cruiser

I had some of the same concerns so I went out and bought a good used bike. I bought this Road Glide with 9000 miles for $10,500 this fall after I sold my 2005 for $16,900. I think that is the way the Harley world is going to be for a while.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Lots of Harleys on the market, both new and used. Many dealers are stunned that the Street Glides are piling up in their inventory. Same with the Street Bobs. These two models sold well last year, but not so much this year. Call it market saturation if you want........but used bikes are plentiful. I remember the days when new bikes were sold before they hit the loading dock. Waiting lists. Premiums over MSRP for years. Some of the dealers still have a deathgrip on that premium dollar and are languishing in inventory. Old habits die hard, denial rules the mind.
I have a beautiful FXD35 with 996 miles on it........up for sale on consignment at a dealership. It sits. I'm taking it home at the end of the month and will either end up selling it for less than I imagined or riding the bejeezuz out of it.

The bubble has burst, my friends!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:37 PM
DDDeepdiver
Cruiser

I feel your pain....BUT i also consider my hobbies ie: Boats and Bikes are not going to be cost efficent....i buy harleys because i love them, not for resale value, i am on my 6th harley and actually haven't lost as much as i thought i would have. My boats are a different matter though

Quick Reply: Is there a shoulder to cry on?