Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kinds of slip-ons am I looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011 | 09:58 PM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Default What kinds of slip-ons am I looking for?

I hope this doesn't turn into one of them "oil threads" :-D

This is about the 2003 FLHRCI in my sig pic, new to me bike, about 35K on it.
Stage 1 map
K&N A/C on a SE backing plate
V&H slip-ons
Stock head pipe

I'm looking for some slipons with the following:
- not too pricy
- fishtail or rocket tip ends
- has baffles, but doesn't look all pregnant, the thiner the better
- will mate up with the stock head pipe
- fits nicely with the other Stage 1 pieces

I have some Samson open fishtails that I had on another bike - way too loud and the lack of back pressure made it run like cr*p. I'm not against loud, but I'm thinking I need some back pressure to get a relatively flat torque curve.

On the '96 the Samsons came off of, I put on some Cycle Shack slash-up touring mufflers. Sounded good, ran good, very happy but I'm pretty sure there are other options for this '03.

I'm going more for a no-frills, good looking, we'll performing fishtail/rocket tip, than I am a specific sound/tone at this point. And, since it is my "cheap" bike, I don't want to dump a ton of bucks into it.

Thoughts?

Old 12-02-2011 | 11:23 AM
kamut
Tourer

These V&H fishtails don't look too pregnant. Don't know your exact price range. I'm basically looking for the same sorta thing.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Mufflers.aspx

Old 12-02-2011 | 12:13 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Don't think you can go wrong with SuperTrapp SE muffs. Quality built, wide choice of tips including fishtails and rockets. Great proven power (back pressure) and the deep Harley rumble most are looking for without being to loud. I have the same pipes, HD SE 65115-98B, that SuperTrapp made for HD and absolutely love them. Sounds like a Harley should sound.

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=43

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...emID=128-65115

Old 12-02-2011 | 12:19 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

I had the Samson straight fishtails no baffles on my 03 RKC. They were just tooooo loud. I called them and ordered baffles and they were perfect.

Old 12-02-2011 | 12:20 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

How about the Samson fishtails w/baffles. Gives you basically the same look,but adds backpressure.

Old 12-02-2011 | 12:25 PM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior

Thanks

I ended up jumping on these for $200 and free shipping from ACM. More in my price range.

I'll report back how they work out

Old 12-03-2011 | 12:59 AM
kamut
Tourer

Man, looks like a good value for the money. I had been hoping there was something like wild pigs/cycle shack in a fishtail.
Please do let us know how these work out.

Old 12-03-2011 | 06:37 AM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior

Will do

From what poking around I did on the 'net, it looks like Cycle Shack does not make a fishtail. They do make a "Rocket Tip" tip that can be attached to their slipons. Seeing as the tips MSRP at like $150, and then I'd still need to get the slipons in the first place.... well, like I said, I'll roll the dice on these $200 ones.

Old 12-07-2011 | 06:32 PM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kamut
Man, looks like a good value for the money. I had been hoping there was something like wild pigs/cycle shack in a fishtail.
Please do let us know how these work out.
OK, so - I ordered these on Friday night, got shipping confirmation on Monday, and got them today lunch time. Just got in from the garage and putting them on.

They sound GREAT! For comparison, I have the Fuel Moto Dyno Tuned slip-ons with their cat-less head pipe on my Ultra. After listening to the ACM fishtails, I fired up the Ultra and compared. The fishtails are louder, for sure and higher pitched (88ci vs 96ci?), but still a nice rumble. I couldn't get out to try them on the road, raining cats and dogs here in central NC tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to be clear and cold, so - I'll be out there. Absolutely louder than stock, no where near straight pipes. I'd put the volume at about where the Cycle Shacks I had on my Evo were.

Only "complaint" is, the tip of the left fishtail is noticeably turned in at the top. Not sure, but I may see if I can't loosen them back up and get them tweaked a bit so it doesn't look goofy from the rear. This may be the fact that they are $200 mufflers - the bracket might be wonky, but I'm willing to live with it if I can't make it better.

Also, the little fins on the end that attaches to the header had to be bent out a bit in order to get them on. I had to resort to a block of wood and my BFH to get them on. Hope I don't have to take them off too much (haha).

Anyway, they aren't Samsons, but for $200 I'd recommend them for sure. Just what I was looking for. BTW - eBay tells me they have relisted them so, it must be something they keep in stock.

As far as how the chrome holds up, only time will tell.

Old 12-11-2011 | 06:13 PM
TurkeyRun
|
Road Warrior

Fixed!

Loosened the clamp and got the left fin horizontal - no biggie.

After about 200 miles on them now, I would say that they are quieter than the V&H that were on there, but you know - sometimes these things get louder with age. They sound really good for sure.

If these guys have them in stock, and you're looking for some mild-mannered fishtails cheap, grab'em.

Quick Reply: What kinds of slip-ons am I looking for?