Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who rides a 2002 or earlier Touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1999 RK Police. Bought it 4 years ago with 13k on it. Now has 56k. No major problems. I was warned about the Marelli FI system, but it has worked well. The bike had 12" apes on it, and V&H longshots; about the only mods when I got it. I've since put Reinhardt true duals on it, black saddlebag and engine crash guards, had the forks powdercoated black. And I just got it back from being painted Merlot Sunglo. It really looks nice now.
As far as mechanical work, other than the usual tires, batteries, oil changes, etc., I had the cam chest rebuilt about 6 months ago at about 44k. The tensioners were worn, and when we opened it up, the cams were shot too. Just used stock parts to replace.
I love the bike; I thought about selling it and buying a newer bike. But I rented a 2010 Road Glide in Vegas a couple months ago, and I really couldn't tell the difference ride-wise. Of course there were more bells and whistles, but my RK is perfect for the way I use it. I'll keep it til it drops, which hopefully won't be for a long while.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kamut
2000 RK standard with a carb. No major issues. I bought it 10 months ago with 2500 on it. Has 8600 on it now (was out of the country for 6 weeks during this period). So, real clean, low miles. Came with a cheap but loud stereo in a bag attached to the windshield, so I use that in the winter. Came with a SE air cleaner.

I have removed the crash bars: rear for my wife's legs, front for looks. Put on a Mustang passenger pad and harley backrest for my wife. Put a Grateful Dead derby cover on when I changed fluids.

Next mod: Wild 1 518's with stainless cables, after that loud pipes (stock now), after that Ohlins #2's, after that Mustang seat for me (sundownder on there now).

If I had a bunch of dough, I would do engine work, but I'll probably do the above and then leave it till it dies or I die.
That's less than 250 miles per year. You're lucky the engine wasn't seized.

Can I ask? What did you have to pay for this garage queen?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

2001 Ultra Classic (trunkless)

I got it with low miles in 09 (9,500) and now she has 20,000. Most of my mods are listed in my signature.

I had the stater go out, so I replaced it and the regulator. I also had the O-ring go out where the quick connect fuel line goes in the tank (what a PITA). Over all it's been a reliable bike, I like it better than my 2010 bike, it just is more personal and has more character to me.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just sold a 1997 Road King. 56K miles total. I had a deer strike with it in 2001, and rebuilt it. Mileage was 26K then. Hopped the engine to 1500 CC, ported and polished heads, Mikuni 42mm carb. Never let me down. Only problem it had at sale time was some slight oil weeping at the bottom of the rear jug.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2000 RKC. I bought it 2 seasons ago with 21,000 and it now has 40,000. I absolutely love this bike and have no plans on letting it go. Other than usual maintenance, at 30,000 mi. I replaced the cam shoe tensioners and the cams too (stayed oem). I had a stator go out too but I think that was my fault while trying unsuccesfully to add a second security key fob (digital guard dawg). Otherwise this has been a great bike. Oh, and the MM EFI is working just fine and is real easy to set idle when adjusting does become necessary. The bike came completely chromed out and all the accessories I could want but I did change slip-ons and add a dobeck TFI.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

2002 Ultra with 34K. MY 7th Harley, 4th bagger, and the best one yet! I may have a new one someday, a CVO Ultra would be nice, but this one ain't going anywhere.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

02 flhrsei 95" 15000 miles back surgery in 06 not much riding till 2010 5500 this year
transmission gears and shaft around 5000 miles replaced
lots of mods 16s, dragonfly, air seat, tour pac, lots of zombie chrome, ohlins 2-3, rockford fosgate amp, custom dynamics led lights
working on race tech gold kit and 21 extreme arson coming soon, its a keeper
wish I could figure how to post pics

Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for all the information. I too love my 01 EGC...

Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 PM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 & older

I'm so glad to read such good reviews.

I have a 2002 Electra Glide Classic that I purchased 4 years ago with just under 30,000 miles. It now has 55,000 miles. It came with the 95" engine, Stage-1, Reinhardt TDs, & Dunlops.

The Harley heated grips were wimpy, so I installed Kuryiakyn heated grips & a Kuryiakyn "cruise assist," which I recommend. I've added chrome fork wind deflectors & gone through a couple of different windshields. While it had Reinhardt TDs on it, I added 2007 SE mufflers. I removed the air termperature gauge & replaced it with an oil temperature gauge. At 36,000, I replaced the cam tensioner shoe with an updated one.

The biggest handling upgrade was going to Michelin Commanders. Since installing, I've not experienced any of the touring "wobble." Great tires!

I had Paul at Quality Auto Interiors, Chico, CA, reshape my seat & add a gel pad. Marvelous!

Recent additions include the Harley LED headlight (great night light!) & Khrome Werks 2-1-2 exhaust header (Same as S&S's). I also added passenger "extended reach" floorboards, so my 4'9" lady-friend is even more comfortable.

That's all the good news.

My starter was "problematic" so I have a kit on it that allows me to push a plunger on the side & get the ol' gal to work. It took a couple of rebuilds to figure that out.

My ThunderMax w/AutoTune apparently stopped recognizing the 02 sensors, so carboned up my cylinders necessitating a top overhaul. That allowed me to have some headwork done approximating Jamie Long's "B" heads, the installation of Woods TW-555 cams, & the Woods/Harley hydraulic cam chain tensioner. The ThunderMax was "reset" per the instructions, & stopped working again, so it's going back to Zippers. I've pulled the O2 sensors & plugged the holes (temporarily) & reinstalled the Delphi & PC-3.

I was going to install the vented lowers, but the bill for the top OH killed that. So, for winter riding, I have the soft lowers - better than nothing!

I'm picking up my bike tomorrow & riding it a bit getting ready for Saturday's Toy Run - my annual "must ride" group ride.

I've considered trading it, but that's hard. It's paid for!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

1999 Ultra with 93000 miles, 95 CI, Rinehart copy cats, SE A/C, I think it's been lowered, got some 2006 SG wheels for it.
Problems have been the fuel injectors, head gaskets, charging system, leaking front fork, tire rub, broken rear swing arm, the rear plaque came off on the tour pack. Other than that I think it's a great bike & love it.

Toby

Quick Reply: Who rides a 2002 or earlier Touring bike