Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking hard about upgrading speakers. Adding Amp. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Zeus,
I am very pleased with my J&M Rokkers and Bazooka 200.4 amp. I can't imagine what the sytem would sound like with J&M's 500.4 amp. As far being able to hear the rear speakers, maybe you can't with a stock stereo, but I certainly can on my bike. Even at highway speeds.

Don't forget that at highway speeds no system, no matter how high end will sound like a concert hall. Yes some will sound better than others, but the difference narrows way down when your moving...

Thats my 2 cents.

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks. Hey, do you have the saddlebag speaker lids or the standard ulta speaker pods?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

I have the stock pods with Rokker speakers.....

Old 12-02-2011, 05:09 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Biketronics setup with the Hertz speakers and Sony HU. I use an Elf audio two channel amp, though I do like the Fosgate amp. Anything more and I would have to go all the way like Glacier's kick *** rolling home theater system. That is top shelf.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
I like the Biketronics setup with the Hertz speakers and Sony HU. I use an Elf audio two channel amp, though I do like the Fosgate amp. Anything more and I would have to go all the way like Glacier's kick *** rolling home theater system. That is top shelf.

I couldn't find anything on the Glacier rolling home theater system. I'll take your word for it that it's top shelf .

I would prefer not to change the harmon kardon head unit. Not that I have any great love for it, I just have to draw the line somewhere. But what I don't get, are all these amps that folks talk about compatible with the head unit?? I mean will the fade and volume controls work?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I couldn't find anything on the Glacier rolling home theater system. I'll take your word for it that it's top shelf .
He's talking about my system. The link in my signature to my system build.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 PM
faapilot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock is the way to go. Don't change a thing...
MoCo puts the best in their units....
Keep it original...very clear and crisp with deep bass at any speed...
(psssstt....JOKE)

Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would prefer not to change the harmon kardon head unit. Not that I have any great love for it, I just have to draw the line somewhere. But what I don't get, are all these amps that folks talk about compatible with the head unit?? I mean will the fade and volume controls work?
If you are asking whether you can install an amp to the stock HU, then the answer is yes. There is some basic wiring involved, but nothing too complicated.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Hawg-wired, J&M, Hogtunes and other vendors include the installation instructions for their amps and other products on their websites.

In the case of the three listed vendors, they all offer products for installing speakers in fairing lowers, and J&M offers a kit for speakers in saddlebag lids.

HD also offers amps, speaker kits for the fairing lowers and saddlebag lids; you can see the products on HD's website, and get the installation instructions at your local HD store's parts counter--just ask the parts guy/gal to print them from the store's computer.

Useful information on wiring, etc. can be found at this website:

http://www.bcae1.com/

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 12-03-2011, 10:36 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Hi Carl,

I don't want to loose bag space, everything has to fit under the fairing. I don't mind loosing a little space in the bags to accomodate the speaker lids though.

I don't know the pros and cons of 4 ohm vs 2 ohm. What are the JM 7.5's?

Your idea with the dual Rockford Fosgate 's is a good one. I still don't get why you can't simply wire the two front speakers together. I think 75w otta be plenty of power. I mean, how much volume do you need? They're only 3 feet away from my face.

So If I got a 4 ohm amp, 2 channels to the rear. Wire 2 2 ohm speakers together for the front.

Hey, how do you control the fade from front to rear if eveything is behind the fairing?
The power is not really about volume, but about distortion. distortion = bad sound and blown speakers. It is better to have more wattage then not enough. Not too much though.... You have the control of the volume. a 75w rms speaker with 75-100w rms amp will usually not distort at higher volumes (i.e. highway riding). cleaner sounds.

As for amps and speakers, you can't go wrong with Rockford Fosgate. They have been in the mobile audio business for many years. Their products are some of the best. Polk Audio is another good set of speakers. Here are some links for you to look at.

Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp $150.00

Fockford Fosgate 6.5" Marine Speakers $137.00

Polk Audio MM651UM Marine Speakers $150.00

Do the math. You can save a lot of money and get some "kick ***" sounds. The install kits can be bought locally at any big name store. I hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Murph's quote of "how much volume do I need" from the OP's post triggered a couple of observations I have had.

First, listening to an audio package with a bike on the kickstand has little relevance to what you'll hear going around town at modest speeds (say, 25-45 mph), and no relevance to what you hear at interstate speeds.

Second, the volume I listen to while riding at interstate speeds is too loud to listen to with the bike on the kickstand.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Quick Reply: Thinking hard about upgrading speakers. Adding Amp. Need advice.