Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking hard about upgrading speakers. Adding Amp. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the sensitivity spec on those is not very good 88.3 dB

Not very efficient use of amp power,

Many speakers with a "tweeter" use a filter network to keep the lows from destroying the tweeter, the lows are filtered off and bled to ground- as much as 30% of the amp power is consumed and wasted this way.

An efficient speaker with a spec of 98 dB would produce many times more sound from the exact same amp setting

I've written a couple of posts on speakers and sensitivity, how to read specs, what they mean and how to calculate impedance

Mike
I've read some of those posts, and plan to refer back to them when I get closer to buying something.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by dbell66253
Depends on how much you are looking to spend also. I heard the JM system with 6 speakers at Biketoberfest, speakers were 2 fairing, 2 lowers, 2 saddlebag, I believe it was a 2 amp set up. At 100% volume there was absolutely no distortion, and it sounded good with the factory head unit, of course it's not cheap. On the other hand you can buy a Rockford amp for around $150, buy two sets of speakers for around the same price, hook it up and have a really nice system for a fraction of the cost. So many ways to go, best if you can listen to a few bikes and see what they have, then you'll be happier and more sure with your decision.
What would a system like that cost? The JM 6 speaker/2 amp? Prolly $1500 eh?

And why 2 amps?? Isn't there such a thing as a 6 ch amp? Why can't you run the dash and lower speaker in series and connect to one channel?

Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Candente
I have an Arc Audio 2-channel for front speakers- Polk Audio MM6501 separates. Air temp and voltmeter removed and tweeters installed (oil pressure gauge moved to voltmeter location). HK system powers rears- Polk Audio MM651. The Polks are 2ohm and weatherproof.
I like my gauges though. I put an oil temp in place of the air temp.

Cool setup you have though.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by lkr0
you can do the proven method of alpine 4x150 digital amp in bag 4 six by nines (pioneer comp series 2 way) in the bags -- four infinity kappa's 6 1/2 (2 or 3 way) to get the best out this need to change the head unit -- crystal clear can be heard blocks away
I think the proven method is probably pricey eh?

Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
What would a system like that cost? The JM 6 speaker/2 amp? Prolly $1500 eh?

And why 2 amps?? Isn't there such a thing as a 6 ch amp? Why can't you run the dash and lower speaker in series and connect to one channel?
I stand corrected, it's one 500w 4 channel amp mounted in the fairing, the fairing and lower speakers share 2 channels, the other 2 channels go to the saddle bags, I forgot the price but you can go to JM website and everything is listed there, also I believe Dr V Twin is a dealer and his prices are probably a bit less.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Are you willing to sacrifice bag space for installing an amp or two? Or installing

Are you going to use a 2-ohm impedance amp or 4-ohm impedance amp? The decision to use the 4-ohm amp will mean you can't use 2-ohm impedance speakers unless you wire them in series. A 2-ohm impedance amp can drive both 2 and 4 ohm impedance speakers.

I wasn't willing to give up bag space for installing amps; but, fortunately two Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amps can be installed side-by-side on top of the HK head unit (after removing the bracket used to secure CB,XM, etc. modules, and removing material from the speedo and tach cups and gauges. The two amps provide 8 output channels providing a minimum of 75W @ 4 ohms per channel for fairing, fairing lower, saddlebag lid, and tour pak speakers.

Lots of choices and lots of products to choose from.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Are you willing to sacrifice bag space for installing an amp or two? Or installing

Are you going to use a 2-ohm impedance amp or 4-ohm impedance amp? The decision to use the 4-ohm amp will mean you can't use 2-ohm impedance speakers unless you wire them in series. A 2-ohm impedance amp can drive both 2 and 4 ohm impedance speakers.

I wasn't willing to give up bag space for installing amps; but, fortunately two Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amps can be installed side-by-side on top of the HK head unit (after removing the bracket used to secure CB,XM, etc. modules, and removing material from the speedo and tach cups and gauges. The two amps provide 8 output channels providing a minimum of 75W @ 4 ohms per channel for fairing, fairing lower, saddlebag lid, and tour pak speakers.

Lots of choices and lots of products to choose from.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I don't want to loose bag space, everything has to fit under the fairing. I don't mind loosing a little space in the bags to accomodate the speaker lids though.

I don't know the pros and cons of 4 ohm vs 2 ohm. What are the JM 7.5's?

Your idea with the dual Rockford Fosgate 's is a good one. I still don't get why you can't simply wire the two front speakers together. I think 75w otta be plenty of power. I mean, how much volume do you need? They're only 3 feet away from my face.

So If I got a 4 ohm amp, 2 channels to the rear. Wire 2 2 ohm speakers together for the front.

Hey, how do you control the fade from front to rear if eveything is behind the fairing?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
I've been reading threads and surfing web sites until my head spins. I want a kick *** stereo ...................
Did you say " KICK *** " ????

If you wanna give up bag space and spend big money,..................you to can have KICK ***. However,..it's not for everyone.

If you don't wanna give up bag space, and spend big money,...............you can still build a decent system.

Your imaginations & wallet are your only limits !!

Good luck with your decisions !!!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Did you say " KICK *** " ????

If you wanna give up bag space and spend big money,..................you to can have KICK ***. However,..it's not for everyone.

If you don't wanna give up bag space, and spend big money,...............you can still build a decent system.

Your imaginations & wallet are your only limits !!

Good luck with your decisions !!!

WOW. Talk about kick ***. I followed your link to see your setup. Nice. Real nice. I think it's a bit more than what I had in mind, haha.

What is that retro thingy that you were talking about in your thread??

Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Zeus,
I am very pleased with my J&M Rokkers and Bazooka 200.4 amp. I can't imagine what the sytem would sound like with J&M's 500.4 amp. As far being able to hear the rear speakers, maybe you can't with a stock stereo, but I certainly can on my bike. Even at highway speeds.

Don't forget that at highway speeds no system, no matter how high end will sound like a concert hall. Yes some will sound better than others, but the difference narrows way down when your moving...

Thats my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Thinking hard about upgrading speakers. Adding Amp. Need advice.