Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM
57red
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED headlight

is it worth the $$$ that they want at the dealership, or is there a better aftermarket choice? I ride a lot at night so i'm almost to a point where it's better lighting over new pipes.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
2010 ultra man
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default L.E.D. headlight

My brother has the Harley-Davidson L.E.D. headlight and on his FLHTK and they kick ***(very good quality). I don't drive at night much but, if i did I would install them right now.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-29-2011, 04:53 PM
groovna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the HD led headlight along with the led spot lights. I love em, very bright and white like the light of day plus cool looking. Parked next to a bike with a halogen 130/100 watt hi/low beam bulb, you couldn't even tell that light was on compared to the leds. The one negative it has is it is a projector beam style light which puts out a very flat beam so on sharp corners you loose some light on the inside of the corner from the bike leaning. You'll know what I mean if you've ever riden in a vehicle with projector beams. Hope this helps.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

What about in daylight. Typically LEDs don't cast light in daylight like regular bulbs do. Do you find that to be true? In other words do you loose your "I'm here" visibility in daylight with LEDs? Or would you say you have more visibility now in daylight? Just curious.

Last edited by Gliden; 11-29-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:11 PM
groovna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've met bikes on the road with the same set up as I have and its just as visible in daylight as a halogen.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

If you are concerned about visibility in daylight, forget the HD LED headlight. it is invisible from any angle other than straight on.
I have the Truck-Lite LED and it is MUCH cheaper and way more visible in daylight without sacrificing lighting at night.
If you do a search on this site there is a comparison with pic's that helped me make my decision.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
If you are concerned about visibility in daylight, forget the HD LED headlight. it is invisible from any angle other than straight on.
I have the Truck-Lite LED and it is MUCH cheaper and way more visible in daylight without sacrificing lighting at night.
If you do a search on this site there is a comparison with pic's that helped me make my decision.
Not true. I have done a few tests with a few people in different vehicles ranging from large to small cars! They were all able to see me just fine.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by groovna
I have the HD led headlight along with the led spot lights. I love em, very bright and white like the light of day plus cool looking. Parked next to a bike with a halogen 130/100 watt hi/low beam bulb, you couldn't even tell that light was on compared to the leds. The one negative it has is it is a projector beam style light which puts out a very flat beam so on sharp corners you loose some light on the inside of the corner from the bike leaning. You'll know what I mean if you've ever riden in a vehicle with projector beams. Hope this helps.
Especially with on/exit ramps where I tend to lean a lot. It always makes me laugh though.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
False. i usually lead and i can see my dad's HD LED in my mirrors from about a mile away...in direct sunlight.

i have the TL. its great. i like it better than the HD because there isnt a hard line in light.

but guess what? you can see them all in the daylight because they contrast so much with natural light

Quick Reply: LED headlight