Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 heads with compression release install on 96"

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fathog
Need advise. Just purchased 103" cylinders, pistons, heads w/ automatic compression releases off a 2011 to install on my 2010 ultra w/ 96", Woods 6-6 cams, 09 headpipe w/o cat, FM Stage one A/C, PC-V w/ FuelMoto map . Manual states that a Digital Tech must be used to upgrade the computer. Is this correct if I am running a pcv with a FuelMoto map? Can I wire the releases as per instruction without the DT or is the Digital Tech used to program the compression releases?
Have you tried a quick call to Jamie @ FM?

They have enough real world experience to know which tuners, accessories work well together.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I just installed some 103 heads with ACR on my S&S106, the wiring isn't hard you just need to relocate one of your fuses. The dealer activated mine for $70 and it took all of about 30min from the time I walked in until the time to leave, did it during the week when they where not so busy .

Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

You might want to check to make sure your harness is pre-wired for ACR's. I didn't think they were until 2012. Some say they can be wired by connecting the leads to the starter solenoid. Maybe maybe not, not sure that will work. I did a head swap on an '09 and had to install the wireing harness for the ACR's. Not as easy as it seems once you get to messing with that fuse box. They also need to be activated in the ECU to work. But the Digital Tech is not needed for anything if you already have a way to load a new calibration like SEPST, TTS, or PV that can turn them on or off.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I just installed some 103 heads with ACR on my S&S106, the wiring isn't hard you just need to relocate one of your fuses.
Originally Posted by Bingee
I did a head swap on an '09 and had to install the wireing harness for the ACR's. Not as easy as it seems once you get to messing with that fuse box.
hd rolling/Bingee,

I'm about to install the harness on my 09 Classic... couple of questions:

1. the connectors that go to the solenoids aren't marked for front/rear - does it matter which one goes to which?
2. The instructions show the yellow/gn wires going to the fuse block but the wires aren't marked as to which fuse terminal they connect to - does it make a difference which wire goes to which fuse terminal?

Any other tips to pass along that you learned from doing the job? I ordered a Power Vision from Fuel Moto and it can activate the ACRs in the ECM.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shawrco
hd rolling/Bingee,

I'm about to install the harness on my 09 Classic... couple of questions:

1. the connectors that go to the solenoids aren't marked for front/rear - does it matter which one goes to which?
2. The instructions show the yellow/gn wires going to the fuse block but the wires aren't marked as to which fuse terminal they connect to - does it make a difference which wire goes to which fuse terminal?

Any other tips to pass along that you learned from doing the job? I ordered a Power Vision from Fuel Moto and it can activate the ACRs in the ECM.

Thanks in advance
HD's instructions are confusing.

1) Both ACR solenoids go to the same place so it doesn't matter front or rear.

2) It doesn't make a difference. The instructions say where on page 2 of the instructions. One ACR Y/GN wire goes into cavity 4A and the other goes into 3B.

I think this is wrong in their instructions:

7. Assemble Y/GN terminated wires from ACR overlay harness
into original fuel pump cavity 4A and remaining cavity
3B from Step 6.

I think it should say 3B from Step 4c.

Take your time doing the ECM wire. That connector is very tricky to work with. Follow what's in the service manual to open it up. Took me a few minutes to find cavity 19. Go slow.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Shawrco

Here's a doc on how to work on the ECM connector.

http://delphi.com/connectors/assets/...g%20Manual.pdf

Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser

Thanks Bingee, the Delphi manual is VERY helpful.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser

HD's instructions are confusing.

I think this is wrong in their instructions:

7. Assemble Y/GN terminated wires from ACR overlay harness
into original fuel pump cavity 4A and remaining cavity
3B from Step 6.

I think it should say 3B from Step 4c.
I see what you are saying; end result is ACR harness wires go into 4A and 3B.

One more question - I guess you routed the ACR solenoids down the right side of the harness trough. There is a "split holder" there that has the throttle body wire and some others in it; a tight fit to add the ACR harness, but I haven't tried to rearrange all the wires to get them to lay in there better.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Joe B.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shawrco
I see what you are saying; end result is ACR harness wires go into 4A and 3B.

One more question - I guess you routed the ACR solenoids down the right side of the harness trough. There is a "split holder" there that has the throttle body wire and some others in it; a tight fit to add the ACR harness, but I haven't tried to rearrange all the wires to get them to lay in there better.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Joe B.
The harness must be routed inside the trough. If I remember correctly I attached the connectors to the ACR's first and then fed the harness up thru the bottom of the trough and packed it in with the rest of the wires down to the battery, ECM and fuse box. It's a little tight in there. But it'll fit well enough that you can easily replace the cover when you're done. Use the cable straps to secure the wires so they stay in place. This is just a hint. But if you have a digital camera take lots of pics. It makes putting things back together a little easier in case you forgot how things were to begin with.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

The harness must be routed inside the trough. If I remember correctly I attached the connectors to the ACR's first and then fed the harness up thru the bottom of the trough and packed it in with the rest of the wires down to the battery, ECM and fuse box. It's a little tight in there. But it'll fit well enough that you can easily replace the cover when you're done. Use the cable straps to secure the wires so they stay in place. This is just a hint. But if you have a digital camera take lots of pics. It makes putting things back together a little easier in case you forgot how things were to begin with.
Yes, thats the same way I did mine.

Quick Reply: 2011 heads with compression release install on 96"