Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 AM
strange ultra
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project

I am starting to downgrade my 2010 Ultra Classic to a "cooler", more single-rider-friendly status. I plan on relocating the antennas, removing the tour pak, and replacing the seat. Any helpful hints? I have already replaced the mirrors, removed the front and rear fender guards, and upgraded the floor boards.

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check ebay for a take off seat. I bought a fairing mounted antenna off ebay, works fairly well I think I paid 22.00 for it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...item19c835cde8

Old 11-28-2011, 12:15 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a "street glide" kinda thing too. Did the 11-12 SG seat, TP quick detatch......

Can be back to an Ultra in minutes. Like having two bikes with one insurance bill.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I don't think an Ultra can really be turned into a SG only because there is too much chrome and paint that has to be changed to really get that SG affect. But I have seen some Ultras turned into really sharp, what I like to call, "Ultra Sports" just like you are doing.

A shorter windshield looks really good on an Ultra Sport as well as the SG passenger pegs. You might consider the SG or ULTRA CVO taillights. Ive seen a few on Ultras and they add a sport SG affect without going overboard.

One thing you have that I wish I had on my SG are the lower fairings. I don't think they take away from the sporty looks of the SG at all.

I look forward to seeing pics one you get it done.

Beary

Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, why didn't you just buy a SG and save all the work and $?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:48 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by MADHOG
Just curious, why didn't you just buy a SG and save all the work and $?
LOL, I usually get, "Why didn't you buy the Ultra with a detach kit so that you get all the other cool goodies that don't come with on the SG?".

This is a fun forum.

Beary

Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 PM
strange ultra
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Thanks for the replies so far. I did replace the windshield, first with the SG shorty, then with a 6" Long Ride shield, which is great. I smoked the lenses in the back, changed the headlight to HID and upgraded intake, exhaust, and TTS tuner.
Madhog - I wanted to do a lot more touring with the wife but we haven't been able to do that YET. I wanted the CB, lower fairings, and extra storage. No regrets. I now use as a daily driver and will keep everything so that later the wife and I can "get away" for a while.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
gmc
Road Warrior

I would start by making that tour-pak detachable, will make a big difference in looks and handling, you can unplug the speakers, get hidden antenna etc. Second I would look for solo seat, I have a Danny Grey but there are many opionions on seats. Then you can relocate your liscense plate. I finally went the xtra $ for the Klock Werks upper and lower fillers. I also replaced and lowered my front fender.

Attached Thumbnails Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-75vette07egc20.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

2009 EG Classic

Detachable tour pak, fairing lowers, SG pass pegs, RK taillight, bar and plate mount, solo seat, SG shocks.

The T/P, Ultra seat and stock shocks go back on for long distance

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-28-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:27 PM
gmc
Road Warrior

The back with fillers

Attached Thumbnails Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-07back.jpg   Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-classicrear.jpg  

Quick Reply: Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project