Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:09 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

need to install 12 inch shocks. Premiums would work well.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Pulling the tourpack and bag rails does not make a SG. Without changing the wheels, fenders, lights and bag guards they don't come close to SG looks. Just admit you are jealous and too cheap to really "do it". I didn't change my bike into a SG, I changed it the way I wanted it.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:56 PM
cegd_2000
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine

Did the same mod to my 2014 Ultra Limited.

I like the SG look.

Detachable Tour Pak
Rear turn signal relocation
Antenna relocation
SG seat
Rack
Passenger backrest

Attached Thumbnails Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-img_2008.jpg   Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-img_2009.jpg   Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-img_2010.jpg   Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-img_2095.jpg   Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-img_2094.jpg  

Old 06-28-2014, 07:04 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2009 FLHTCU

2013 wanted a change - Purchased:

Thanks to the HD Forum Parts:

2013: FLHX Seat, Rear Fender, F 18” /R 16” Wheels, HD 2013 FLHR Front Fender Match Pin Strip, All this for Under $ 800.00

Detach Tour Pack Kit, This got a little pricy $ 350

Klock Werks 6.5" Dark Smoke Windshield, $80.00

Progressive: Air Shocks 12.5” - The ride 2up with tour pak loaded ya need it

When I installed my Chubby bars No holes to plug on Inner faring as my fellow buddies do with their FLHX

I have the best of both worlds

List to date:

2009 FLHTCU: 103ci, 10:5:1 SE Piston Kit, SE255 Cam, SE Billet Cam Plate and High Pressure Oil Pump, Automatic Compression Release, SE Heads, Welded Balanced Flywheel, SE Adjustable Push Rods, 2014 SE Compensator, SE Heavy Duty Spring and Clutch Kit, Power Vision with Wide Band O2 Sensor kit, SE Ventilator A/C, 8mm Fat Plug Wires, Reinhart 2:1, HD 1.4kw Starter,
HD 2013: FLHX Seat, Rear Fender F 18” /R 16” Wheels, HD 2013 FLHR Front Fender, Chubby WO575, Terrycable Kit SS Black, HD: Tribal Mirrors, Edge Cut Latch Kit, Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit, Bra, Sundowner Basketweave, Detach Tour Pack Kit, Razor Tour Pack, Chrome Front End, Vivid Black Floating Brake Rotors, Nostalgic Rider: Footboards, Grips, Highway Pegs, HD: Slotted Gear Shift Linkage, SE Billet Style Chrome Shifter and Rear Brake Lever, Fitted Saddlebag Liner Kit, Custom Auxiliary Lighting Kit, Bar & Shield Windshield Trim, HD Fuel Door, American Flag Kit, Audio SiriusXM Satellite, Klock Werks 6.5" Dark Smoke Windshield, Hog Tunes, Chrome Engine / Bolt Kit, Live to Ride: Derby / Timing Covers, Curved License Plate Holder, PIAA Bulbs, Dunlop’s American Elite, Bar & Shield Valve Stem Caps, Black Hand Control Lever Kit, HD Oil Cooler, Progressive: Air Shocks 12.5” / Front Springs..April 2014: New ECM , Coil , Throttle FBW Cable SE , Ipod Kit….

Last edited by trackadaptor; 06-29-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
2009 EG Classic

Detachable tour pak, fairing lowers, SG pass pegs, RK taillight, bar and plate mount, solo seat, SG shocks.

The T/P, Ultra seat and stock shocks go back on for long distance
I liked this bike so much I pretty much did the same thing with my Limited. I like the SG stance but like bag rails (added), running lights, and classic tails of the dressers more so I kept those. I lowered (Premium shocks off a SGS), added SG pegs, 10" dark tint windshield (with trim), RK taillight, bar and plate mount, solo seat, detach kit, extended footboards, and Rush Big Louie's.

Attached Thumbnails Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-pumpkin.jpg   Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project-conv.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Pulling the tourpack and bag rails does not make a SG. Without changing the wheels, fenders, lights and bag guards they don't come close to SG looks. Just admit you are jealous and too cheap to really "do it". I didn't change my bike into a SG, I changed it the way I wanted it.
Not my bag...

But if I was cheap, I could have spent a whole lot less money up front and bought a SG...

Wait... I did. And a Limited....

Name:  DSCF3893_zps2d897557.jpg
Views: 3696
Size:  63.1 KB

Old 06-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Come on ......... who leaves their SG stock? Time to find another thread to critique my friend!

Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
"Ultra Sports"

Beary
I like that!

Old 06-28-2014, 01:15 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,081 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by strange ultra
I am starting to downgrade my 2010 Ultra Classic to a "cooler", more single-rider-friendly status. I plan on relocating the antennas, removing the tour pak, and replacing the seat. Any helpful hints? I have already replaced the mirrors, removed the front and rear fender guards, and upgraded the floor boards.

Thanks.
Take off the lowers. Get some SG wheels - cheap and really transform the bike. But I agree, only with a whole bunch of work which will cost a whole bunch of money, will anyone think it's a streetglide. Maybe look at the 2014s would be a more cost effective way to go? That's what I did anyway. I was in the process of making changes to my Ultra and took the SGS out for a ride and realized I was money ahead by buying the new bike. Couldn't be happier. It's a totally different experience.

Originally Posted by beary
I don't think an Ultra can really be turned into a SG only because there is too much chrome and paint that has to be changed to really get that SG affect. But I have seen some Ultras turned into really sharp, what I like to call, "Ultra Sports" just like you are doing.

One thing you have that I wish I had on my SG are the lower fairings. I don't think they take away from the sporty looks of the SG at all.

Beary
As mentioned - I agree with your first statement.

However, I would caution you on adding lowers. My belief is they, along with any type of wing to reduce buffeting, will reduce airflow to the motor - which is bad. My 11 Ultra was an oven. I think I had a lot of engine issues as a result of diverting airflow (baffle, wings, lowers). My new Street Glide -with cat- is a freezer compared to the Ultra. Not even close and sooooo much more comfortable.

At this point the only way I would do lowers is if they housed radiators, which may be uncomfortable on the legs. So even that I'm not sure about.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 PM
23eldorado
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too cheap to buy a Street Glide? That's pretty funny!

Anyway, I am very happy with the stripped down ultra when I ride solo, which is most of the time. For long rides with the wife, in a couple of minutes, I can pop on the tour pak and stock ultra seat. That makes the wife is very happy too. Can't put a price on that!

Whether you start with the Ultra or the Street Glide, being able to convert back and forth between touring and stripped down solo riding can't be beat.

Quick Reply: Converting Ultra Classic to Street Glide Project