Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking hard about getting a 2012 CVO Road Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I had some bad luck that turned into good luck depending how you see it with my 2011 FLTRUSE. At 950 miles and being only 9 days old, my engine blew due to a valve stem breaking off. (I posted this in early Oct '11)

The MoCo covered the warranty and credited me with $1,400. At this time I decided that I'd mod the engine to a Stage lll with the credit plus another $2,400 for just under $4K with dealership discounts.

The bike shows 110 HP 120 TQ at the rear wheel on the dyno.
Gas mileage was 35-37 mpg before the mods. Now I'm getting 29-33 mpg. I plan to redyno it to lean the fuel out some. Hopefully my mileage will get better. It's not the cost of fuel that's a concern, it's the range that bothers me.

My main reason going to Stage lll mods was to make sure my former Gold Wingers wouldn't have an edge.

Other than the engine mods there's very little else that I want at this time for my bike. Keeps me out of the For Sale section for now.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
As stated earlier they are not a 40K bike they are 30K and considering that is only 8K more than the regular RG for what u get I think it's a pretty good deal
hmmm....MSRP for a CVO Streetglide is damn near 40K...

Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

deleted double post

Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cptdenny
I had some bad luck that turned into good luck depending how you see it with my 2011 FLTRUSE. At 950 miles and being only 9 days old, my engine blew due to a valve stem breaking off. (I posted this in early Oct '11)

The MoCo covered the warranty and credited me with $1,400. At this time I decided that I'd mod the engine to a Stage lll with the credit plus another $2,400 for just under $4K with dealership discounts.

The bike shows 110 HP 120 TQ at the rear wheel on the dyno.
Gas mileage was 35-37 mpg before the mods. Now I'm getting 29-33 mpg. I plan to redyno it to lean the fuel out some. Hopefully my mileage will get better. It's not the cost of fuel that's a concern, it's the range that bothers me.

My main reason going to Stage lll mods was to make sure my former Gold Wingers wouldn't have an edge.

Other than the engine mods there's very little else that I want at this time for my bike. Keeps me out of the For Sale section for now.
Forget the DYNO, Captain....in real world riding...how is the power?

~Joe

Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I bought htis Streetglide in March. I have poured a ton of cash into it.

It is unique, but if I could do it again, I would have bought a CVO Streetglide in silver&gunstock.

Take that for what it's worth.

~Joe

Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could honestly pick up a bare bones 103' Glide and take that extra 9,000 for the CVO and make one hell of a custom bike yourself. That way all the yuppies on CVO's will be looking at you instead of you all in a pack looking at somebody else with a better bike. I hate CVO bikes. Just a personal .02

Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

....it should be noted I wouldn't have left a CVO stock either.

Gotta have a Le Pera TRUE leather seat and other doo-dads.

And chuck the cat. converter.

joe

Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by traveler
Forget the DYNO, Captain....in real world riding...how is the power?

~Joe
Ahhh, he wants to know about the power. It pulls like a two wheel locomotive and with the 2" Full Sac with X-pipe, sounds like it as well.

It's actually fun abusing the throttle when it's safe to do so.

Now speaking $$$, I have about $42K in mine. Yes, it's expensive, and yes at times it's over the top. But hey, someone has to step-up and do his share for our economy.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by The Guardian
You could honestly pick up a bare bones 103' Glide and take that extra 9,000 for the CVO and make one hell of a custom bike yourself. That way all the yuppies on CVO's will be looking at you instead of you all in a pack looking at somebody else with a better bike. I hate CVO bikes. Just a personal .02
At trade in time that extra $9K will be worth $2K if you're lucky. And yes I'll be looking and wondering why he didn't invest that extra $9K in HOG stock so one day he could get that CVO for free.

BTW I wouldn't be impressed and neither would most CVO owners at someone dropping an extra $9K in a bare bones 103". Now if you're talking a $80K-$100K custom, we'll be looking. But if it works for you, that's all that counts.

Been there done that, had $20K in a '09 FXDC, at trade in time it was worth $8K. My '10 Road King had $24K in it and was only 6 months old, at trade in it brought $18K. Both bikes together were traded in on my CVO.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cptdenny
At trade in time that extra $9K will be worth $2K if you're lucky. And yes I'll be looking and wondering why he didn't invest that extra $9K in HOG stock so one day he could get that CVO for free.

BTW I wouldn't be impressed and neither would most CVO owners at someone dropping an extra $9K in a bare bones 103". Now if you're talking a $80K-$100K custom, we'll be looking. But if it works for you, that's all that counts.

Been there done that, had $20K in a '09 FXDC, at trade in time it was worth $8K. My '10 Road King had $24K in it and was only 6 months old, at trade in it brought $18K. Both bikes together were traded in on my CVO.
You lost 18k by trading 2 bikes in for 1 new one ? Id keep mine before taking a hit like that. I like having a bike that no one else's is identical too.

Quick Reply: Thinking hard about getting a 2012 CVO Road Glide...