Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electra glide classic-even if I don't "tour"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:02 AM
skater69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electra glide classic-even if I don't "tour"?

I'm saving and probably will end up with an '08 EG classic or Standard (rented many baggers the EG is my favorite).
I love the looks of the Standard and ride solo 90% and don't really do long distance riding (250 mi days on weekends at most).
But for the price difference, trying to think why I shouldn't just get the Classic? Having the trunk to hold my full faced helmet and that extra storage just in case just seem like a good thing to have and if I do meet someone who likes to ride....great passenger accomodations. Does having the trunk take that much away in performance...etc? Just thinking I may regret not having the extra storage space if I went EG standard...and then having to splurge for a trunk.

Any thoughts appreciated if anyone else went thru this decision process.
thx

Old 12-04-2006, 02:06 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Default RE: electra glide classic-even if I don't "tour"?

Do yourself the favor. The price difference between the Glide and the Classic is small in the front and expensive if you want to add it later. Get the classic and install the removable tour pak kit and hang it on your wall. Then, install a solo seat and you are ready to go. If you meet someone who wants to ride, you change the seat and install your tourpak in just seconds and you are ready to go. You install the antenna relocation kit and that way you just take the antenna mast off the tourpak and install it on the other mount and you are ready. You will be much happier not having to shell out the bucks later....

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:10 AM
skater69
Cruiser

Thanks, Scott but what's the "removeable tour pak kit?" It makes it so I can remove the rear seat/trunk on the Classic?

Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 AM
BUBBA
Tourer

You wont regret the Classic I have a detachable tour pak set up on mine .

Old 12-04-2006, 02:22 AM
skater69
Cruiser

I just re-checked prices. Actually the EG standard is about $2K less than the EG classic.....I may still go Standard since I still would have side bags and have a universal license plate bracket w/a helmet lock attached. And could just get a passenger backrest for the standard. Not to mention I don't want/need a radio......I like to listen to the pipes.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:05 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

I went in the middle with the classic for these reasons and I mite be wrong with 07 please currect me.
I think the engine finish is diffrent(more chrome/powder) whitch is very hard to upgrade from a standerd?<------big reason-
was told/seen/ and found out for myself, end up just leaving tour pack on most of the time because its so useful.
I think theres more "rails/gaurds" on bags/fenders on the classic.
but its really up to you.

I went thru the same thing desiding wether to get ultra or classic.
did not care for the cb,intercome,extra rear lighting. but added the cruise and lowers later.

ether way they all need 1 or more things i think to convert: detach kit,antena kit,and if you want to do it right will need a cool seat with tappered off back(p-pad) to show off fender.

you can do that later as well...

[IMG]local://upfiles/18734/72BFE910F90F411C8E609E5FD4A42558.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2006, 05:21 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,421 Likes on 6,179 Posts

I was in the same situation as you, I couldnt decide between the same two bikes your talking about. I ended up with the Classic, and Im soooo glad I did. At first I didnt like the look of the tour pack, but after you have one and see how useful it is, youll probably want to leave it on. As stated before, get the detatchable kit, then you can remove it and store it. When its needed just pop it back on and go. It only takes a couple of minutes. I also liked the looks of the engine on the classic better. Theres something about the chrome contrasting with the black engine.... let us know what you end up with.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:00 AM
ironhorse
Road Master

Stop messing around and go with the Ultra.

IronHorse

Old 12-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was ready to go with a Standard but decided last minute to get the Classic. Glad I did. Much more versatile with the extra storage and passenger comfort. I would rather be a little over equiped than wish I had a few more add-ons. Plus, I just prefer the looks of the black powder coated engine. More chrome too. The Ultra had more than I could ever make use of, and I just prefer the cleaner look of the Classic. There is nothing wrong with the Standard. It is the best bang-for-buck touring machine in my opinion, but as they say, to each his own.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mac57
I was ready to go with a Standard but decided last minute to get the Classic. Glad I did. Much more versatile with the extra storage and passenger comfort. I would rather be a little over equiped than wish I had a few more add-ons. Plus, I just prefer the looks of the black powder coated engine. More chrome too. The Ultra had more than I could ever make use of, and I just prefer the cleaner look of the Classic. There is nothing wrong with the Standard. It is the best bang-for-buck touring machine in my opinion, but as they say, to each his own.
Same here. I ride my Classic every day to work(28 miles round trip) and we do some touring on it. Most are weekend trips to mother's and around 500 miles for whole weekend. Have been to Dragon on it and no problems. I decided to leave tour-pack on because I always use it for helmet.

Quick Reply: electra glide classic-even if I don't "tour"?