Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:30 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Front Brake Master Cylinder

Hello all,

I just replaced my handle bars with Santee 11" bagger apes. The front brake master cylinder resovoir was perfectly level with the ground on my old bars, so the brake fluid was an even 1/4" from the top all around. With the new bars, the angle on the front brake master cylinder resovoir is such that the back of the resovoir is lower than the front, so when I filled it with brake fluid, the level of the fluid was 1/4" from the top in the rear of the resovoir, and about 5/8" from the top in the front of the resovoir. Is that going to be an issue? I thought about loosening the mount and setting the resovoir even with the ground, filling it, putting the top on, then adjusting acordingly, but I'm concerned that if someone opens it for service, or if I forget, all the fluid will come spilling out.

What say you all on what I should do here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It is fine just like it is, the reason to have a reservoir is to keep air out of the lines, keeping enough fluid over the piston to keep air out.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Your fine, ride on.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:17 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the system is still dry and open you can do some measurements for peace of mind.

In principle, you need to make sure that the outlet port me between reservoir and master cylinder in always 100% flooded / covered.

A key function of the reservoir is to allow for variation of fluid volume in the system. As the brake is applied and the pistons push out, so the volume of fluid in the reservoir changes.

If you can take the following measurements:

Piston diameter and number of pistons

Pad thickness

Length, breadth and height of reservoir

Firstly you can then calculate the total volume change as the brake pads wear down. This would be:

Pi x (piston diam)^2 x (pad thickness + air gap)

Then calculate reservoir cross sectional area :

Area = length x breadth (if you wanted to get really clever you could calculate this as a function of reservoir angle but ignoring that for now)

Finally you can then calculate the change in reservoir height due to the full volume change

Height = volume (calc 1) / Area (calc 2)

That should give you a reasonable indication. If, at the worst case (ie pads worn down completely) you are only just covering the port then you should be careful as well. Sloshing of the fluid while riding and having a marginal flooding of the port will result in air ingression

Old 11-27-2011, 11:44 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
If the system is still dry and open you can do some measurements for peace of mind.

In principle, you need to make sure that the outlet port me between reservoir and master cylinder in always 100% flooded / covered.

A key function of the reservoir is to allow for variation of fluid volume in the system. As the brake is applied and the pistons push out, so the volume of fluid in the reservoir changes.

If you can take the following measurements:

Piston diameter and number of pistons

Pad thickness

Length, breadth and height of reservoir

Firstly you can then calculate the total volume change as the brake pads wear down. This would be:

Pi x (piston diam)^2 x (pad thickness + air gap)

Then calculate reservoir cross sectional area :

Area = length x breadth (if you wanted to get really clever you could calculate this as a function of reservoir angle but ignoring that for now)

Finally you can then calculate the change in reservoir height due to the full volume change

Height = volume (calc 1) / Area (calc 2)

That should give you a reasonable indication. If, at the worst case (ie pads worn down completely) you are only just covering the port then you should be careful as well. Sloshing of the fluid while riding and having a marginal flooding of the port will result in air ingression
Just to be clear, the volume calc above is for each piston so you would need to multiply this by the number of pistons to get total volume.

So, change the final calc to

Height = volume (calc 1) x no. of pistons / area (calc 2)

Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Just to be clear, the volume calc above is for each piston so you would need to multiply this by the number of pistons to get total volume.

So, change the final calc to

Height = volume (calc 1) x no. of pistons / area (calc 2)
As someone wih a degree in mathematics, you just made my day...lol

While the above would work great, I'll just take comfort in knowing that the pickup from the resovoir to the piston is covered, so I should be good to go.

Thanks

Old 11-28-2011, 02:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

My first bike with hydraulic brakes was a Harley with cowhorn bars. Before I opened the reservoir I turned the handlebars to the left, which while parked on the jiffy got it close to horizontal. Bleeding obvious really! Try that with yours.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
...Bleeding obvious really! ...
Pun intended??

Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Pun intended??
I cannot lie!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

All the Math calculations "Really", Turn the bars to the left take off the cover slowly squeeze the brake if there is still fluid in the resivour you are good to go.