Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

straight pipes ( no baffles )

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 PM
wildeano
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straight pipes ( no baffles )

2010 ultra,, all stock,, i put on straight 1 and 3/4 inch fishtails with no baffles in them,,,,, will it hurt the engine in any way,?? i have very little if any decel popping or draw back,,,, have been told i could burn a valve out due to no back pressure,,,
thank you for any answers and thoughts,,,,,,,

Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have a tuner it's gonna run to lean, period. Nuf said.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Rinehart True Duals with 3.5 mufflers and the baffles were removed up until recently. I installed SE255 cams and the exhaust sounded awful with the news cams so I reinstalled the baffles. Anyway, ever since I removed the baffles my bike is running a little hot but I never had it retuned after I pulled out the baffles. I have an appointment with a tuner next week.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The whole exhaust thing can be a science. If your pipes are short, you could burn a valve. If their longer which most are with fish tails, the exhaust has a chance to do it's job.
Your exhaust needs to scavenge. If you run strait pipes with a small diameter pipe, your engine will generate more power because it flows well but it can scavenge. you might want to google this and get a better understanding of what works & what doesn't. open exhaust will lean out your fuel air ratio which will increase your temps. For that reason you should get it tweaked. You will get better power if everything is within operating margins!
Hatch.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 AM
wildeano
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the answers,,,, im still not sure weather to leave them on or take them off...
i dont want any engine problems,,,,,, gonna get the fuel moto 4" jackpots soon... i know they will be o.k.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:22 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

If thats all your doing to the engine opt for a VIED or a XIED, its inexpensive and will give you just enough fuel to richen the AFRs....i got the adjustable (V) and it did the trick without having to add a tuner which is where i would go if the IEDs are not effective....it should do just fine if your not planning to do anything else to the engine.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

It shouldn't hurt the engine short term, but I wouldn't get on it very hard until I had some kind of tuning solution involved to ensure proper AFR. Don't dare open up the air cleaner with anything aftermarket until you have some kind of tuner ready to plug, bolt, or tape to your bike! (and ps...a good map to go with it). Your bike is too expensive to screw up needlessly. There is plenty of research you can do here on the forum that will help you along.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Interesting. I admit my guilt by saying I did a google search on this subject and it directed me to here! My bad! I'm ordering some triple chromed fishtails off ebay this week but I opted to put in some baffles. The baffles are fairly short (4") so I would expect a decent amount of sound while still maintaining a little backpressure. But because it's a fishtail design the only place I can see putting the baffles is fairly close to the inlet end. I hope putting baffles that close to the header pipe won't give me an unexpected future problem. My bike is otherwise stock.

Last edited by Newharleylover; 01-29-2012 at 07:40 PM.