Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tbw lost all response

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:12 PM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tbw lost all response

Yesterday I fired up my sg and it was idling at 1500 and I had no throttle response at all. I restarted and it was all good, does this mean that my tbw is going to take a sh*t, or is it just a fluke?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe a loose connection or the twist grip sensor is starting to go out.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Corsair
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TBW issue

Yesterday talking to my indy, he mentioned he knows of several instances of the exact TBW issue you mention. In every case ignition off and on has cured it, and he believes the moco is aware and working to solve it.
Luckily no issues with mine yet.

Some of them happened while riding, engine went to idle....

Old 11-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

You didn't mention the year of your bike, if it's 08 or 09 there is a fix for it for about$ 40 at your local dealer due to some minor parts upgrade.Parts I think about $3 but half hour labor what gets you,IMO it should be a recall but I don't know how Moco gets away with it if it happens with any other automobile I bet you it will be a RECALL.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM
vanman59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check for codes? I had a problem with mine like that and it ended up being a broken wire at the throttle body, black and white wire for the sensor grounds right at the connector to the throttle body. Do a search on here and you will find the service bulletin that will help you troubleshoot it. Codes are important to differentiate between a problem with the twist grip sensor or the throttle body actuator and sensors.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard that its when you shut down your bike with your kill switch while your hand is still on the throttle and it then remembers that position. I have always shut mine down with the ignition switch like a car, not a 2-stroke dirt bike.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 08 models had the worst issue. 1st yr for TBW, I Had a 08 model and put 48,000 miles on it with no issue.
Got a 11 and had no issues.
Its a replacable part.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Weekender1969
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
I've heard that its when you shut down your bike with your kill switch while your hand is still on the throttle and it then remembers that position. I have always shut mine down with the ignition switch like a car, not a 2-stroke dirt bike.
I did this on the Heritage for a while, but I discovered that if you kill it with the thumb switch, and the ignition is on, you will still get the neutral indicator.

It is much easier to find neutral on these things if the engine is not running, so I kill mine in 1st, and then just click to neutral and watch the indicator.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:35 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Weekender1969
I did this on the Heritage for a while, but I discovered that if you kill it with the thumb switch, and the ignition is on, you will still get the neutral indicator.

It is much easier to find neutral on these things if the engine is not running, so I kill mine in 1st, and then just click to neutral and watch the indicator.
It is much easier to find Neutral if you feather the clutch too...........

Old 11-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Weekender1969
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
It is much easier to find Neutral if you feather the clutch too...........
I think I know what ya mean, I discovered this waiting in traffic at a one laner for road construction...

Basically let out a little on the clutch as you shift for neutral. is that what you are referring too?

Quick Reply: tbw lost all response