Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ultra classic exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 AM
papejr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ultra classic exhaust advice

Buying 012 Ultra Classic 103 Ask manager what he would change he'd change exhaust let the motor breath. Any suggestion to what?

Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 AM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very happy with the V&H Power Duals with Rush 2.5 Mufflers
Stage 1 with SERT on my 11 Ultra.
Ride Safe

Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Lots of good choices. But that's going to do little toward allowing the motor to "breathe". Remember there is a catalytic converter in header and also your stock air cleaner is not a high-flow unit. The stock muffs are somewhat restrictive, so if you change them, there will be a small amount of flow improvement if you measure the velocity of the exhaust gas as it escapes the end of the muff.

Ride your bike a while and do a lot of research. There are as many muffler choices as there is oil (almost).

Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the "Pandora's Box" of forum questions - so many choices, so many opinions, all of them correct, based on your expectations.

I agree with Lowcountry Joe - it's the intake that "let's it breathe", so that should be a part of any mild performance upgrade. We call it a "Stage One" upgrade: intake, exhaust, ECM remapping. Depending on your choices, that's about a thousand bucks and well worth the investment.

I have the SE Stage 1 Intake, SE Fatshotz mufflers, and HD ECM Download on the stock headers with catalyst. I'm quite pleased with the results. This combination definitely lets it breathe better, and it pulls quite a bit stronger than stock. The muffler tone is mildly louder than stock, and has a pretty good "bark" under hard throttle.

Other great mufflers to consider:
- Rineharts
- Vance & Hines
- Rush

.... and many others.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:23 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good advice from the others, take your time and ride it, get out and listen to all the options that are out there with the exhaust before you drop your coin. you'll be glad you did.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the Python true dual system. True dual headpipes with the 3 1/2" mufflers that have the scalloped ends (they have a slight inward curve to the slash end, hard to describe).
They are very good at giving the Harley roar and crackle but at higher speeds when you drop it in 6th they tame down for a pleasing highway cruise sound.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by papejr
Buying 012 Ultra Classic 103 Ask manager what he would change he'd change exhaust let the motor breath. Any suggestion to what?
I purchased a 2012 UC with the 103 and left it stock for some time. The stock system sounds quite a bit different from past systems so you might want to wait until you get some miles on the thing before making changes.

Just be careful when changing things to "breathe better" as that usually means hotter unless you've added some fuel management device.

FWIW, I did end up changing the header pipe for one that does not have the cat...that made some difference with respect to heat and sound.

Then I had Fullsac recore my stock mufflers...you might want to look into that as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by Pine Tree; 11-27-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 AM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Deffinitly do an air cleaner tuner, and change whole exhaust ,headpipe and all. I have had luck with V&H products.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

We did the Stage I with Rhinehart TD on our '12. Very pleased with the results.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Another vote for Rinehart. Looks and performs great. The great thing about Rinehart is that they can be very mellow when want them to be,or loud as hell when you need it.

Quick Reply: ultra classic exhaust advice