Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 FLHTPI runs rough, can't diagnose problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:21 PM
FLHTPI372
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 04 FLHTPI runs rough, can't diagnose problem

Evening, folks. I'm new to this forum, hoping someone with experience with this problem can help me out. I've got an '04 FLHTPI that has had a rough, rough fall season. She started running rough about six weeks ago. After changing plugs, wires, etc., I took her to the dealership. They immediately diagnosed her with disintegrated cam chain tensioners. They replaced my worn out stuff with new hydraulic tensioners, new oil pump, etc. When I got her back, she was still running rough, but intermittently. She's been back to the dealership twice since. The first time they cleaned the throttle position sensor. After that, she's still running like the proverbial faecal matter. When I went back, she was backfiring as well as accelerating really really rough, seemingly cutting out as I turned the throttle. Any ideas?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your bike have a tuner on it ? Need more details.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:15 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Possible that it has a fuel line leaking inside the fuel tank...Take the cap off of the tank and turn the ignition switch on while looking in the tank...If you see gas spraying or bubbles inside...Chances are you have a hole in one of your lines.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel line is a good idea to check, also check intake for air leaks.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:07 AM
fishbust
Tourer

For what you are paying that dealer for all that work...........................

Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 PM
FLHTPI372
5th Gear
Default follow up to crappy running bike

No tuner on the bike. I got it back from the dealer today...they told me that I could let them put some more miles on it after they replaced the ECM and ignition coil or I could pick it up and see what happens. I rode it about 80 miles to work and she ran fine until I decelerated on the ramp leaving the interstate. As I decelerated, she missed a couple of times. I'm going pull the fuel cap off later tonight and see if I see bubbles or spray. How do I check the intake for leaks? Any other suggestions?

Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

are the wires and plugs you installed oem style?

If they are "special magic high performance aftermarket", try replacing with stock style.

intake leaks are easiest found when the bike is cold ( before the parts expand from heat and seal up)

start bike, if rough idle, spray the areas around the intake manifold with wd40-- if the idle changes, you've found the leak-

for electrical problems, some modules react poorly to heat- or cold...do you notice real different results depending on temps? for testing cold sprays are sometimes used t cool down hot modules to find problems.

Problem is if the dealer is just "replacing parts" with out diagnosing the problem(s)

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-03-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:48 PM
FLHTPI372
5th Gear

The plugs and wires are hd stock. She always starts easily and never runs rough cold (or hot) at idle.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:52 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

probably not a problem with intake leak then.

ignition system is easily tested by "smart" tech- technology is not new on ignition systems.

likewise the fuel system could easily be pressure tested to ensure that full pressure is being reached and held by the system.

I'd look for another shop, I think-

mike

Old 12-03-2011, 06:09 PM
FLHTPI372
5th Gear

I'll submit another post after I check the fuel hoses in the tank. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: 04 FLHTPI runs rough, can't diagnose problem