Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Ride Double Cartridge Fork Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:05 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

[quote=koga;9082584]
Originally Posted by FastHarley
How to use the spring compressor. There are other tools that you cam make for this job. You can install Ohlins piston & shim (Valve) them to your tastes. There is no way that you can put in externally adjustable spring pre-load, rebound or compression but new pistons do have removable rings that is part of the rebuild process.

Thanks for the video's Howard. Since I have already purchased HD's double cartridge kit along with the chrome lowers I just may rebuild the old set using the Ohlins piston & shim
This is what you bought:

The reason why you have the fork tubes in this unit is because HD does not think you can handle cutting out the check valve on the bottom of the fork tube as found on my fork rebuild video located on my web site. The HD fork system should fit into any 1948 ~ Current FL fork system given the damper rod is the correct length. This means any same length forks unless you extend the damper rod.

These 20mm cartridges are the same found (one side) on 2002~2005 FLH fairing models. You can find these used as many owners threw them away & converted back over to the conventional damper tube system. In place of pissing away your hard earned money on something you can buy for cheep. That's right, remove the check valves & buy a pair of used and readily available cartridges for pennies. Use your head and quit buying parts in a box that you do not know what they dd, than have HD install it for you. Cartridge systems require oil changes every 7.5 ~ 10K miles.

>>> I just may rebuild the old set
<<< You do not have an old set to rebuild unless you have the above in the picture.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM
koga
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=FastHarley;9083675]
Originally Posted by koga
This is what you bought:

The reason why you have the fork tubes in this unit is because HD does not think you can handle cutting out the check valve on the bottom of the fork tube as found on my fork rebuild video located on my web site. The HD fork system should fit into any 1948 ~ Current FL fork system given the damper rod is the correct length. This means any same length forks unless you extend the damper rod.

These 20mm cartridges are the same found (one side) on 2002~2005 FLH fairing models. You can find these used as many owners threw them away & converted back over to the conventional damper tube system. In place of pissing away your hard earned money on something you can buy for cheep. That's right, remove the check valves & buy a pair of used and readily available cartridges for pennies. Use your head and quit buying parts in a box that you do not know what they dd, than have HD install it for you. Cartridge systems require oil changes every 7.5 ~ 10K miles.

>>> I just may rebuild the old set
<<< You do not have an old set to rebuild unless you have the above in the picture.
Thanks again for your valuable input Howard. Yes that is the kit I purchased, hence the title of the thread "Premium Ride Double Cartridge Fork Kit" and my statement you quoted "I just may rebuild the old set" . Just thought I would give the HD fork kit a try that is all, and the fact that I am fortunate enough to not have to work very hard for my money made the decision even easier.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Show Time if you live close to Gilbert I'll install the kit for $50 if you bring the old tubes off the bike. If you're changing the lower legs I don't even need that, but there will be a few extra things needed. It will take me about an hour.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Show Time
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Show Time if you live close to Gilbert I'll install the kit for $50 if you bring the old tubes off the bike. If you're changing the lower legs I don't even need that, but there will be a few extra things needed. It will take me about an hour.
Thanks $tonecold, I wish I would have known earlier, but I am obligated to the stealer at this point.

-Chris

Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Never thought HD would sell the kit as an upgrade if it was NFG, to late for me .

Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DPete
Never thought HD would sell the kit as an upgrade if it was NFG, to late for me .
What makes you think it was NFG?
Members wanted to remove it for simplicity of fluid changes from listening to others on the boards and went under the assumption it was the right thing to do...
perhaps HD did indeed have a good thing going when they installed them for the few years they did but the profit on each bike wasn't going to be there if they installed in both tubes and opted for the one tube and conventional on the other...
FFT
Paul