Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro Camera Feedback...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you!!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:11 AM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the GoPro Hero also. I really liked all the different mounting options but decided to use the helmet harness on my trip.

I got it at Best Buy in early July for $300.00. I think the price has come down now and the have the new Hero 2.

Check out my movies on youtube by clicking the link below.

Good luck,
Ken

Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Lifetimelifter
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at their videos on their website. Absolutely amazing. I have one and it blows away my 2000.00 canon GL2 Camcorder I had. Best buy now stocks them

Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 AM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the feedback. I opted to pick it up yesterday at the dealer. Can't wait to take it out in the AZ mountains. I'm getting the vibe the batteries are dead after 2 hours so it might be a good idea to pick up a spare. Video's are all amazing by the way!!!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:15 AM
truxpin
Advanced

I have the GoPro and like it a lot, BUT..... I have a non balanced '99 EGC and even with the cameras built in "vibration reduction", unless I'm over 1500 rpm's the video is all but useless. I had the most success with roll bar mounting, as low to the ground as possible is bad ***!!
Also mounted it to the trailer I haul, another really cool perspective as the camera mostly remains fixed & lever as the bike leans for the corners!
The GoPro has an extreme wide field of view which works as a plus and a minus in certain situations. If your filming something that is at a distance ( about 15-20feet ) it's going to look very small & far away in the video. Anything overly close is going to have the "fisheye" effect and look a bit warped due to the 172 degree field of view. There is no zoom! You want closer? Move the camera closer.
The camera is really a lot of fun, I have had it in all kinds of weather, I mount it to my Helmet @ the Fire Dept & take it with me on fire & rescue calls, It's taken cross country trips mounted to my trailer, I've put a lanyard on it and took it swimming. NOTE: you will not get very good audio with the camera in it's weather proof housing!!
Get a good quality (class 10) memory card for it, and if your gonna do a lot of HD filming get a large one. There are like 4 or 5 different video settings, but recording in true HD will use butt-loads of memory!
All in all, I'd give the thing a 8.25 on a scale of 1-10.
For such a small little thing it does a suprising amount of stuff, read the instruction guide & familiarize yourself with all the functions & go have a blast!!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Grandmaster
Novice

amazon has the HD Helmet hero as a gold box deal for $169 today.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the ContourHD 1080P and I have been testing it on my RAM mounts on my mirrors. Any of these type of cameras are great. But I have found that low idle speed vibrations makes the camera useless. Once up to moving speed (greater than 10 mph) then the vibrations are gone and you have really decent video. Keeping the camera high on the handlebars, allows me the opportunity to turn on/off as needed. I also have it set up to run full time with the 12V adapter if necessary. Battery life on any of these cameras aren't the greatest for long distance rides.

The quality of the videos are excellent so no matter where you mount the camera, you will get really decent views. I have played with different mountings and so far I really like the left side handlebar option. I have two RAM arms one the standard 3" and a 6" arm. The longer arm allows me some play on where I place the camera for a better aim. Exact placement isn't necessary with these cameras, so just being in the ballpark will get you wonderful views.

I would recommend what ever camera you get is to make sure you get some decent editing software. You will want to learn how to edit your trips and to also dub over the wind/engine noise. I have been trying to come up with a good wind blocker for the audio but haven't got one to work to my liking yet. So for now I need to figure out how to do the dubbing without turning off the audio completely.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

I have had all three versions of the GoPro and latest Hero2 camera is far and away the best thing that they have released.

My videos... http://www.youtube.com/user/Tikidr

Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the go pro with the optional lcd screen so I can see and know for sure I'm recording, I love that little camera.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Bachus
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GoPro camera is GREAT!

Does have some draw backs, weak mounting system,
this is what happened to my gp960!

Mount broke, went back a picked up the pieces after
i noticed it was gone,

GoPro did stand behind it, sent me a 1060 model, just a little gunshy of runnign it now. always tye a teather in it in case it happens again.

Crash bars are best for dressers, mounted on handlebars for the drag bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpDlF6cZAtY

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOFy1cMK4fA

Lots of videos posted about 1/2 with the GoPro.

Camera is a really great product, mounts are questionable.

Dan B.
Central Ks.

go

Quick Reply: GoPro Camera Feedback...